ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   No ECU tweek 4 me (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/91117-no-ecu-tweek-4-me.html)

Brun 27 April 2002 11:14 AM

Just been on the Power Engineering web site. Got very interested when reading the page about their ECU upgrade. Unfortunately, as i read down the page i found the bit which states "except MY99". Now my question is why? Why do i say why? because i own a MY99, and wouldn't mind a bit of ECU work. Thanx in advance to my question.

john banks 27 April 2002 11:17 AM

You are in luck. www.ecutek.co.uk is run by David Power, Mervyn (both Power Engineering) and Stephen Done and they can remap your original MY99 ECU. Tek 2 it is called - see the Drivetrain forum for threads on this.

Brun 27 April 2002 11:32 AM

So therefore Pow Eng can do the job! Price anyone? Any downsides? would this be the sort of upgrade i could do and not inform Mr Insurance, and get away with it? not that i'd do that of course.

Jake 27 April 2002 12:45 PM

Tek2 £625+vat fitted at PE or £500 DIY

john banks 27 April 2002 02:00 PM

You need to tell the insurers. The site should answer all your questions.

Floyd 27 April 2002 08:42 PM

It would be irresponsible to not tell your insurers about this mod. Your problem would be that you could not prove to them that it had been done, by looking at it or testing with a select monitor.

Your garage would need to be told also for warranty reasons, as they would not be able to tell either, apart from a more spirited test drive for the mechanic -but he may just think that he has done a much better service than normal.

F

David_Wallis 28 April 2002 02:07 AM

they cant tell.. so its up to you whether you tell them.. I never bothered telling mine about my seats, wheels and brakes after they decided to charge more for getting concept 600 fitted :( eh??? how why?

David

Brun 28 April 2002 01:00 PM

so, do we think that £625+vat is well spent on the tek2 or would it be better spent on other things?

john banks 28 April 2002 01:10 PM

£500 DIY - given that it outperforms the PPP which I paid £1763 for (but that includes a few exhaust bits still the ECU remap is less than half the cost)....

Floyd 28 April 2002 07:37 PM

Is that £500 inc VAT?

F

ian_sadler 29 April 2002 05:51 PM

Brun,

What other mods have you had done so far?

I ask cos the chip isn't the best mod to have done first.

Ian

nom 29 April 2002 06:18 PM

Floyd - there's no VAT to pay! Presumably this is OK 'cos their turnover isn't up to the 'required' amount, although I think it might get there someday... ;)

john banks 29 April 2002 06:50 PM

As Ian says best to change the downpipe at least before getting the Tek 2 as it is mapped for it. Preferably a centre and backbox too, and induction kit if that is your thang but the hissing P*$$es me off ;)

Brun 29 April 2002 07:52 PM

At the mo i've got a k&n 57i and a forge dumpvalve. I'm thinking about the scoobysport back box next, depends if the neighbours will let me get away with it. (i owned a v.loud 1.9 GTI so they all hate me) bunch of moaners me thinks.

john banks 29 April 2002 08:00 PM

You could change the downpipe and keep a quiet backbox for a more useful gain at similar price but only some extra noise. My full decat system at idle/below 3000 RPM is quieter than many backboxes with two cats in front of them - it can be done.

Floyd 30 April 2002 12:48 PM

You could have a full decat/DP and the std back box. This would not be noticeably louder than the std system, you'd only hear a bit more turbo whistle.

F