ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Slight hold back on boost (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/911166-slight-hold-back-on-boost.html)

jamieparr 29 October 2011 01:47 PM

Slight hold back on boost

Hi all

I have an issue with my 05 wrx, a little about the car; sti injectors, walbro fuel pump, vf35, hks ssqv and 3" exhaust.

The problem is when I put my foot flat down I get a slight hold back, it hold back for a second then is ok and then holds back and then is ok. It starts above 3000rpm and goes away at about 5000rpm, if I don't go flat down and ease in to it a bit it's fine.

So far I have; put the stock bov back on and swapped out the MAF. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

PWD 1979 29 October 2011 01:58 PM

Same happened with mine mate. Change of plugs worked for me.

Let me know if it works....

MicaDan 29 October 2011 01:59 PM

Could be the plugs, leads or coil packs. Check and re-gap the plugs if necessary first and, if that doesn't work, change the plugs as these are the cheapest option and might not have been changed lately.

ian.e 29 October 2011 04:15 PM

Sounds like the boost solenoid. Try spraying brake cleaner down it. :thumb:

amego 29 October 2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ian.e (Post 10305408)
Sounds like the boost solenoid. Try spraying brake cleaner down it. :thumb:

+2

the hamster 29 October 2011 08:07 PM

So far no one has mentioned the map?

I take it you've had it mapped for all those mods?

If you have, i'll go for the boost solenoid too.

PWD 1979 29 October 2011 10:57 PM

I would assume if his car is showing a new symptom then the map would not be the problem. I would certainly air on the mechanical side to try and narrow it down in the first instance. First and cheapest the boost solenoid located near off side strut cos its cheapest to clean out Then sparkies. Dont bother with gaps just invest in a new set assuming you are confident they have not been changed within the recent past.

jamieparr 30 October 2011 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll take your advice and start with the boost solenoid then the spark plugs. I'll let you know how I get on

Jolly Green Monster 30 October 2011 06:59 PM

How long ago was it mapped?

Turbotits 30 October 2011 07:21 PM

It could well be it was mapped on a warm day and now with the cooler air its causing a problem. Most mappers would allow for this. But its worth having it checked

jamieparr 30 October 2011 08:23 PM

It was mapped about a month ago. Problem started a week ago

Lenny. 31 October 2011 05:30 PM

I've got the same problem with my MY05 STI (TSL PPP to 333). I've posted a few times previously and it's a not uncommon problem. I've changed the MAF sensor, put new spark plugs in, and put it on a rolling road for diagnostics - all fine. Consensus opinion is that it could be the boost solenoid or coil packs which are the next steps.... Let me know what works!

jamieparr 04 December 2011 05:00 PM

Hi all, I finally got round to changing the plugs and it resolved the issue :)

Thanks for all the advice