ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Price comparison sites - personal information sharing - warning! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/910842-price-comparison-sites-personal-information-sharing-warning.html)

The Zohan 26 October 2011 04:33 PM

Price comparison sites - personal information sharing - warning!

I just had an unsolicited call from a company asking me if i wanted to claim money back on any PPI insurance policies.

I asked them where they got my information from and they said details purchased from companies such as compare the market and other comparison sites.

Now i used meerkats and one other when my car insurance was up for renewal to check i was getting a good deal - which i was.

I am also pretty sure (pretty careful anyway) that i do not tick the box/uncheck the box re personal information - assuming there was one to begin with.

Be warned when filling in info on price comparison sites!

Jamz3k 26 October 2011 04:38 PM

I thought this was pretty common knowledge.....never got a good price from a comparison website either, they are just for lazy sods(like me).

Coffin Dodger 26 October 2011 04:41 PM

Think it was Confused.com that did similar to me, was shopping around for home insurance and after putting my details in on there I would get 1-2 unsolicited calls daily from Kwik Fit insurance. I never answered any of the calls but figured out who it was by Googling the numbers. Filled out a complaint form on their web site and mysteriously all the unsolicited calling stopped but never got a response or apology.

zip106 26 October 2011 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Zohan (Post 10300940)
I just had an unsolicited call from a company asking me if i wanted to claim money back on any PPI insurance policies.

I asked them where they got my information from and they said details purchased from companies such as compare the market and other comparison sites.

Now i used meerkats and one other when my car insurance was up for renewal to check i was getting a good deal - which i was.

I am also pretty sure (pretty careful anyway) that i do not tick the box/uncheck the box re personal information - assuming there was one to begin with.

Be warned when filling in info on price comparison sites!

I just had a call about 10 minutes ago.

Woman was most put out (and didn't appear to believe me ) when I told her I've never had a PPI - ever.

No more than 5 minutes after that call I had someone from an electrical testing company asking if they can come and test all my portable electronic equipment. (PATS test)

I told him my work radio works just fine, thanks...

Wish they'd all just piss off. :mad:

boomer 26 October 2011 09:18 PM

TBH, i wouldn't trust a word that parasite companies chasing PPI insurance claims say!

Maybe you should send a FIO or Data Protection request to them to confirm where they got your details and instruct them to destroy those details. For the price of a stamp you could at least rattle their cage ;)

mb

peter zippy reid 26 October 2011 09:23 PM

When i use moneysupermarket i give them my home phone number only as i dont even have a phone plugged in

Terminator X 27 October 2011 12:42 AM

I never leave my landline details & just ignore numbers I don't recognize on my mobile :idea:

TX.

pimmo2000 27 October 2011 02:43 AM

Fake phone and email for these sites.. Job done

DYK 27 October 2011 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 10301791)
Fake phone and email for these sites.. Job done

:D