ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Rear 2 pots or brembo (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/909459-rear-2-pots-or-brembo.html)

sonic93 15 October 2011 01:45 AM

Rear 2 pots or brembo

What do I need to fit 2 pot or rear brembo s to my version 3 type r ? Iv already fitted the vented discs and callipers from later type r but want better rear as gettin 8 pots front also think calliper seized again ahhh cheers rob

chris84 15 October 2011 03:02 AM

Assume yours came with 1 pots like my P1. You'll either require the hubs from a v5 type r or newage wrx, alternatively you can get some brackets but hubs would be better. About £50 for hubs from a breakers and £200 for 2 pot calipers.

sonic93 15 October 2011 08:03 AM

yea 1 pots mate. u sure new age wrx hubs will fit straight on ect cheers

Midlife...... 15 October 2011 08:44 AM

With Brembo's I think you may need to buy a handbrake conversion to fit the Newage STi hubs........... ??

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/prod...?id_product=92

Shaun

chris84 15 October 2011 11:44 AM

Yes newage wrx hubs fit. That's what the professionals have recommended for me. Plenty of people on here had swapped to wrx hubs. 1 pots are shockingly bad, mine were sticking. 2 pots will make a big improvement.

sonic93 15 October 2011 02:15 PM

only just changed my 1 pots about a month ago now sticking again ahhh so thinking if i fit 2 pot rears be alot better if fitting 8pots lol .I can t see how its seized again tho on same side rear passenger side ?

STI_Baly 16 October 2011 10:48 AM

Sonic if your car is a type r you will need to source the larger diameter hubs suitable for the R180 shafts (which came on the v4 to v6 Type R cars only).

Good luck

prodriverules 16 October 2011 01:18 PM

My Brembo rears where machined to fit on the hubs so no need to change the hubs:thumb:

Midlife...... 16 October 2011 01:48 PM

can you get brembo's machined to fit the bug WRX hubs too ??

Shaun

prodriverules 16 October 2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10285638)
can you get brembo's machined to fit the bug WRX hubs too ??

Shaun

Speak to Ian about it but I'm pretty sure its a yes.
Mine fit a treat and there the black Brembo's[latest type]

Midlife...... 16 October 2011 02:48 PM

By Ian I assume you mean Ian Godney :D

Shaun

N_Scooby 16 October 2011 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by STI_Baly (Post 10285487)
Sonic if your car is a type r you will need to source the larger diameter hubs suitable for the R180 shafts (which came on the v4 to v6 Type R cars only).

Good luck

And V4-6 RA's. Or you can just buy the handbrake brackets to suit.

sonic93 16 October 2011 07:09 PM

il just fit normal 2 pots with the newage wrx hubs that mattys got? there be good enough wont they? fit them with the braided lines i got this week

Saalro 16 October 2011 07:20 PM

Either are going to cost you £££, i was looking into this yesterday and for the Brembos your looking at £200-£300, then good vented discs are around £140, the bracket is £60, braided lines are £60 and decent pads around £100, so already you are looking at £560-£660. Add a couple hundred to that you can get a rear K-Sport setup which has 2 piece discs.

Then the WRX 2 pots work out cheaper around £400 with the same setup as above.

The Lateral Banana runs the 2 pot Bremobo's on the rear i found out recently with a bias valve, so they will do the job, but i imagine there pads are more than around £100, but not sure if they have got 2 piece discs either.

But then K-Sport are a cheap option compared to the AP's.

Thanks
Sam

mickywrx 16 October 2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Saalro (Post 10286118)
Then the WRX 2 pots work out chear about the same setup as above will cost around £400.

Got new-age 2 pot rears on my car, and the cost was nowhere near £400.

Was just over £200 all in, callipers, discs, pads and adaptor bracket.

Obviously depends on how much you pay for the callipers.

Saalro 16 October 2011 07:36 PM

Yeah as you say you can get them cheaper, but that was based on individual prices, with better discs and pads, not OEM, with new braided lines and callipers on their own for what ever price, but yeah you could get it all cheaper.

Thanks
Sam

Godspeed Brakes 16 October 2011 07:37 PM

The WRX hubs will NOT fit the type R . you will need the hubs of a late type R , or a 2001 to 2005 Sti with 5 x 100 stud pattern.

You do not need any brackets to fit the brembo's onto the rear of a late type R , they fit straight on , even the handbrake is the same size.

dazdavies 16 October 2011 07:55 PM

V3 Type R is a different kettle of fish due to the fact the rear hub,handbrake bracket combo is unique to that year of car.

I've just bought a set of New Ksport 8 pots from Bren at K Sport from the front and have been speaking to him about the rears. K sport do a kit that is a direct fit. It just bolts on and doesnt require any changes. He doesn't have stock but they are in stock at the factory.

I'll be buying a set next month as I'm having coilovers of him this month. If you need more info on these get in touch with him

Saalro 16 October 2011 08:08 PM

The rears aren't a direct fit as such! You have to cut some of the hub plate to allow the bracket to fit, but other than that it's direct. Not sure what others have experienced but i've never had a handbrake i've been happy with, so i don't run one lol, this may be due to bent handbrake pins though, i have new ones but haven't tried them yet, i also don't like the idea of wearing the aluminum drum away, might as well buy another kit if that drums goes.

Thanks
Sam

sonic93 16 October 2011 08:21 PM

so people how can i fit rear 2 pots or brembo 2 pots ? i been told a newage wrx hubs disc s , pads handbreak shoes the job lot will fit straight on?

ian any ideas changed calipers on rear of my car was fine for a while now binding again getting wheel red hot again could it be dodgey hose?

Midlife...... 16 October 2011 08:25 PM

Ian.......if you are around. Is it possible to machine the Brembos to fit the WRX hub ?

Shaun

Godspeed Brakes 16 October 2011 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10286308)
Ian.......if you are around. Is it possible to machine the Brembos to fit the WRX hub ?

Shaun

Hi
If you are talking about 2001 onwards WRX hubs , the gold STi brembo discs and calipers will bolt straight on , you either need to fit the thicker handbrake shoes or the discs with the steel inserts I am now doing to make the handbrake work
Cheers Ian

Godspeed Brakes 16 October 2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by sonic93 (Post 10286293)
so people how can i fit rear 2 pots or brembo 2 pots ? i been told a newage wrx hubs disc s , pads handbreak shoes the job lot will fit straight on?

ian any ideas changed calipers on rear of my car was fine for a while now binding again getting wheel red hot again could it be dodgey hose?

The WRX hubs will not fit your car , whoever told you that is wrong , you either have a sticky piston or slider to cause your problem , which is easy enough to fix

Cheers Ian

Midlife...... 16 October 2011 08:44 PM

Hi Ian

The reason I ask is that I've got a Tar-ox bigger disk upgrade for my bug WRX rears using the OEM 2 pots and wondered if I could get the brembos to fit.........somehow :)

Shaun

sonic93 16 October 2011 08:49 PM

how can i fix a sticky piston ian ? also what it gonna be like with 8 pot fronts and 1 pot rears?

andythejock01wrx 16 October 2011 10:24 PM

Ok, this is gonna sound a bit dolly dimple for a seasoned scoobynetter, but are the Brembos on a 2006 Spec C 6 pot or 4 pot?

prodriverules 16 October 2011 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by sonic93 (Post 10286378)
how can i fix a sticky piston ian ? also what it gonna be like with 8 pot fronts and 1 pot rears?

It will nose dive let hell under braking and make it very twitchy,a big :nono:imho

dazdavies 16 October 2011 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Saalro (Post 10286250)
The rears aren't a direct fit as such! You have to cut some of the hub plate to allow the bracket to fit, but other than that it's direct. Not sure what others have experienced but i've never had a handbrake i've been happy with, so i don't run one lol, this may be due to bent handbrake pins though, i have new ones but haven't tried them yet, i also don't like the idea of wearing the aluminum drum away, might as well buy another kit if that drums goes.

Thanks
Sam

This is from Bren at K sport and is the kit i'm buying for mine.

"We have come across this type of rear kit before and should be able to supply a bolt on set up. You need a kit with SU05-R bells (290mm diameter disc, 191mm internal drum diameter) and SU03-R brackets (normal WRC GC8 rear kit)"

sonic93 17 October 2011 10:37 AM

These r more exsprnsive than fronts lol will 2 pots make it that much better? Any ideas how I can 3 caliper up for tho ?

mickywrx 17 October 2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by sonic93 (Post 10286876)
These r more exsprnsive than fronts lol will 2 pots make it that much better? Any ideas how I can 3 caliper up for tho ?

You'll need to strip the calliper down, damn good clean, add new seals and possibly replace the piston - Ian will know better, that's just my simple understanding of it.

2 pot rears are a lot better than what you currently have.