ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   My Impreza has lost its "go". (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/909023-my-impreza-has-lost-its-go.html)

Bubba po 11 October 2011 05:24 PM

My Impreza has lost its "go".

UK MY99, no mods, 90k on the clock, runs absolutely fine, no check engine light on. All I can say is that there's no turbo kick where there should be. Any ideas? :Suspiciou

MicaDan 11 October 2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 10278445)
UK MY99, no mods, 90k on the clock, runs absolutely fine, no check engine light on. All I can say is that there's no turbo kick where there should be one Any ideas?:Suspiciou.

Check to see if the wastegate is operating correctly on the turbo, it might have seized open.

Maz 11 October 2011 05:28 PM

Boost leak as a result of a loose pipe somewhere.

MicaDan 11 October 2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Einstein RA (Post 10278456)

It'd have to be a massive leak to result in no boost at all, and the car would either not run or run like an absolute pig.

Bubba po 11 October 2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Einstein RA (Post 10278456)

Thanks chaps - I'll have a quick look to see if I can see owt. :)

Bubba po 11 October 2011 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MicaDan (Post 10278449)
Check to see if the wastegate is operating correctly on the turbo, it might have seized open.

I wouldn't know where to look for that. :D

stedee 11 October 2011 05:48 PM

You have to disconnect the actuator from the turbo and then you will be able to move the lever if its free to move , its a small clinder with a bar coming out of it, its usually a gold colour. There is a circlip that holds it to the wastegate lever

MicaDan 11 October 2011 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 10278473)
I wouldn't know where to look for that. :D

On the turbine housing (exhaust) side of the turbo. Remove the heatshield, disconnect the actuator rod (normally held in place with a circlip) and check that the wastegate arm moves back and forth freely. It might be totally seized or it might just be binding enough at a certain point to stop it functioning correctly. If the car is running fine, just not boosting, this is likely to be the cause. Any sort of boost leak will cause the car to massively overfuel and this would be something you'd notice.

MicaDan 11 October 2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by stedee (Post 10278486)
You have to disconnect the actuator from the turbo and then you will be able to move the lever if its free to move , its a small clinder with a bar coming out of it, its usually a gold colour. There is a circlip that holds it to the wastegate lever

Beat me to it :thumb:

stedee 11 October 2011 06:12 PM

Lol on my phone aswell, hate typing on it

4evascoob 11 October 2011 06:31 PM

Try blowing solunoid pipes out with aerosol brake cleaner, worked for me on identical car and mileage.

ROBSTER-TURBO 11 October 2011 06:35 PM

first thing id check is dump valve leaking to atmosphere especially if its aftermarket

y-ppe

up-pipe

GC8 11 October 2011 07:52 PM

VTA bypass valve? Surely not! I'd guess that it's pipework related too.

Bubba po 11 October 2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ROBSTER-TURBO (Post 10278572)
first thing id check is dump valve leaking to atmosphere especially if its aftermarket

y-ppe

up-pipe

No mods. :)

The Dogs B******s 11 October 2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 10278445)
UK MY99, no mods, 90k on the clock, runs absolutely fine, no check engine light on. All I can say is that there's no turbo kick where there should be. Any ideas? :Suspiciou

It's Fooked:p

Bubba po 11 October 2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by MicaDan (Post 10278487)
On the turbine housing (exhaust) side of the turbo. Remove the heatshield, disconnect the actuator rod (normally held in place with a circlip) and check that the wastegate arm moves back and forth freely. It might be totally seized or it might just be binding enough at a certain point to stop it functioning correctly. If the car is running fine, just not boosting, this is likely to be the cause. Any sort of boost leak will cause the car to massively overfuel and this would be something you'd notice.

Seriously thanks very much for this. I have noticed in the last couple of days a bit of a fuel smell around the car after parking up. I assumed it was just because I was doing short journeys and was still on the warm-up cycle. :thumb:

Bubba po 11 October 2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 10279025)
It's Fooked:p

It's NOT fooked, it's just resting. :mad:

JdcTypeR 11 October 2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 10279030)
It's NOT fooked, it's just resting. :mad:

:D

JonnyFresh 11 October 2011 10:37 PM

Try checking the nipple to the dump valve. Mine had snapped when I bought it. New dump valve jop done.

Bubba po 24 October 2011 06:06 PM

Had it looked at today and Voila! It was the actuator, as MicaDan suspected. One replacement actuator, and its mojo has returned. :D

Cheers, guys. :)

MicaDan 24 October 2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 10297816)
Had it looked at today and Voila! It was the actuator, as MicaDan suspected. One replacement actuator, and its mojo has returned. :D

Cheers, guys. :)

Glad to hear it was an easy fix mate :thumb:.

andythejock01wrx 24 October 2011 08:32 PM

Scoobynet on form. :cool:

Bubba po 24 October 2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 10298084)
Scoobynet on form. :cool:

I agree. I'm very grateful. :D

Bubba po 25 October 2011 08:04 AM

Why would anyone bother moving this? :confused: It was on its way back down, anyway!

TylerDurden 25 October 2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by MicaDan (Post 10278487)

Just wondering if the car would not boost at all if this is the problem, as mine does boost (according to the gauge) but does feel alot slower than it used to and is using a lot of fuel.