ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   counterfit money (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/908736-counterfit-money.html)

scoobygaz1 09 October 2011 04:55 PM

counterfit money

Curious what percentage of money in circulation would be counterfit, bored sunday afternoon question :(

Midlife...... 09 October 2011 05:01 PM

At least 1 in 36 pound coins is a fake.......real pain as I pay for a car park in pound coins and the number rejected beggars belief !!

Shaun

RetroMk1 09 October 2011 05:01 PM

How much you been offered then :lol1::lol1::lol1:

No idea sorry mate

scoobygaz1 09 October 2011 05:06 PM

I wish i don`t see enough of the real stuff:cry:

99jdee 09 October 2011 06:57 PM

can i have some please. lol just a few 20's for the mcy d's drive thru lol!

RobsyUK 09 October 2011 07:25 PM

Most of the US dollars out there are fake... I think the US treasury won't get rid of them all as it will lover the value of the dollar..

TelBoy 09 October 2011 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 10275281)
Most of the US dollars out there are fake... I think the US treasury won't get rid of them all as it will lover the value of the dollar..

How are you defining "most"..?

The U.S. government estimates that less than 1/100 of 1 percent of U.S. paper currency in circulation is counterfeit

CrisPDuk 09 October 2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10275004)
At least 1 in 36 pound coins is a fake.......real pain as I pay for a car park in pound coins and the number rejected beggars belief !!

Shaun

Automated machines reject a fair amount of genuine £1 coins too though, probably because the real ones are just as sh!t as the fakes :rolleyes:

Maccy Ds is my favoured place for offloading any I end up with too :lol1:

brendy76 09 October 2011 08:19 PM

Was it not that most of the notes contained traces of cocaine?

ALi-B 09 October 2011 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10275004)

Shaun

It seems worse than that where I live.

They keep dishing them out as change at the local Weatherspoons. They are ok at a quick glance, but under closer inspection are pretty obvious as they are either very manky or just don't seem to be printed right. And if they get put in the washing machine (which is quite regular seeing I often leave the odd coin or five in my pockets ;) ) they tarnish or the plating peals off.

I keep them and then spend them back at the same Weatherspoons :D

I should pass them on to plod as its pretty regular now but I don't really want to lose my money. Even if its a few quid...why should I be put at a loss? Obviously someone at the place is paying for drinks with fake coins pretty regularly or someone is filling the till's float with dodgy coins. :nono:

ALi-B 09 October 2011 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 10275290)
How are you defining "most"..?

Everytime I visted the US I looked at the notes and wondered how hard/easy they would be to counterfeit.

Compared to our notes with their extensive watermarkes, patterns, colours, holograms and foil stripes etc. The US notes seem to have very little in comparison.

What does US currency have as counterfeit protection?

what would scooby do 09 October 2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10275516)
Everytime I visted the US I looked at the notes and wondered how hard/easy they would be to counterfeit.

Compared to our notes with their extensive watermarkes, patterns, colours, holograms and foil stripes etc. The US notes seem to have very little in comparison.

bumps and ridges

CrisPDuk 09 October 2011 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10275516)

Paper that's nearly impossible to make, two shades of ink whose chemical composition is a very closely guarded secret, itaglio printing and fluorescent watermarking.

According to the USSS, it's not impossible to get close, but it is impossible to do it and not get caught :Suspiciou:

ScoobyDriverWannabe 09 October 2011 11:58 PM

My mother was given £200 made up of old £20 notes as cash back last week.

She counted it when she was given it, but didn't think about checking style of notes. Have to say its not something I do either to be honest.

Knew nothing about it until she tried to spend some a couple of days later.

Annoying thing is she gets cash back as she doesn't like using cash machines, and her bank closed the local branches.

So she had to go into town to get them to swap it.

CrisPDuk 10 October 2011 12:07 AM

I'd complain at the shop she got the cashback from, that's bang out of order :nono:

tony de wonderful 10 October 2011 09:48 AM

It's a criminal offense to spend counterfeit money.

jef 10 October 2011 10:21 AM

yes^^

you should be told remain in shop while the police are called. and you will be questioned.

mostly fake 20 notes and 50,s but they loweered as more and more places wont accept.

the u.s 100 dollar bill is the most copied note.

why anyone would fake a 1 poud coin is beyond me, ive seen people attempt it with cuttle fish years and years ago and end up with something looked about 30% of a pound coin, and probably cost 2 quid to make lol

Luan Pra bang 10 October 2011 11:52 AM

A good copy of paper money is very very hard and can still get found out while a crap pound coin copy is easy as people just don't check.

jef 10 October 2011 12:30 PM

lol not the ones ive seen, made from solder, painted gold, weight 3gms, paint scratches off, no marking round edges

just presume theyve moved on from the old days lol - which im sure they have, altho ive never seen a fake pound coin since tbh - so mybe they are excellent lol