ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Steve Jobs v. The Catholic Church (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/908340-steve-jobs-v-the-catholic-church.html)

JTaylor 06 October 2011 09:41 AM

Steve Jobs v. The Catholic Church

An interesting idea came up from Carlh on the Steve Jobs thread. So, who has done more for humanity over the past 20 or so years; The Catholic Church (Pope John Paul and Mother Teresa et al.) or Steve Jobs' Apple?

The Dogs B******s 06 October 2011 09:43 AM

Neither for me:thumb:

Ant 06 October 2011 09:49 AM

Steve jobs has done more for us as a world as in technology advances.

The pope is just a figure head

All IMO of course

JackClark 06 October 2011 09:52 AM

If the Pope uses Apple computers then that could sway things.

JackClark 06 October 2011 09:53 AM

I vote Jobs.

http://8.mshcdn.com/wp-content/uploa...e_twitter_.jpg

Hysteria1983 06 October 2011 09:54 AM

They are in two different ball games if you ask me. Personally I cant get my head around religion, but at least technology is there.

I'm not trying to start up a debate about religion being real, even though we cant see it, I think I am just at a point in my life where religion has failed me, but my i phone has not. It's just a little bitterness on my part.

TonyBurns 06 October 2011 10:02 AM

Bill Gates ;) (he donates large amounts of money to charities year on year)

Tony:)

TelBoy 06 October 2011 10:02 AM

Has Catholicism done anything for humanity over the past 20 years? :wonder:

What sort of things were you thinking of, so i can balance them against the products of Apple?

Hysteria1983 06 October 2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 10269809)
Bill Gates ;) (he donates large amounts of money to charities year on year)

Tony:)

He's mental you know.

fivetide 06 October 2011 10:05 AM

Eh? Steve Jobs some sort of saint? A company found to be running sweatshops to make their kit?

Brilliant master of style over content, I mena, not many people could have got away with selling people an mp3 player that cost twice the price and tried to make sure you could never transfer your own music to another device but well done.

Cancer is not a nice way to go so I am sympathetic about that but to say he's done a lot for humanity is a bit far fetched.

Most computers in the world do not run Apple software and Gates has donated huge amoutns of money to charity too. Anyone calling him a saint?

5t.

RA Dunk 06 October 2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983 (Post 10269794)

I'm not trying to start up a debate about religion being real

I will... It's not! :D

tony de wonderful 06 October 2011 10:10 AM

Consumerism is the new religion and Jobs' one of it's high Priests.

Sure he was a great salesman, leader, innovator but the press/America are going on like Christ himself has just died.

tony de wonderful 06 October 2011 10:11 AM

Consumerism is the new religion and Jobs' one of it's high Priests.

Sure he was a great salesman, leader, innovator but the press/America are going on like Christ himself has just died.

Hammer man 06 October 2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10269781)
The pope is just a figure head
All IMO of course

Is that what you call him?:wonder:

JTaylor 06 October 2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 10269819)
I will... It's not! :D

It is, Dunk.

Hysteria1983 06 October 2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10269829)
It is, Dunk.

Its real to the people who beleive in it, and the people who use it as a means to control.

JTaylor 06 October 2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983 (Post 10269831)
Its real to the people who beleive in it, and the people who use it as a means to control.

It's real to the people that don't "believe in it". Either way, religion exists. Now, who's done more for humanity? Apple or the Catholic Church?

Hysteria1983 06 October 2011 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10269841)
It's real to the people that don't "believe in it". Either way, religion exists. Now, who's done more for humanity? Apple or the Catholic Church?

Yes it exists, but not in the same realistic terms as what technology does. Religion only exists because people beleive in it. If people refused to have any part in religion it would simply not be there. But chooseing not to beleive in an i phone will not make it magically dissapear.

GlesgaKiss 06 October 2011 11:48 AM

Steve Jobs was a fairly benign sort. He fed the demand people had and became wealthy as a result. So what? He certainly hasn't had a negative impact on humanity, as judged by the effect on the happiness of the people in any way involved with him or his products.

Somehow I don't think the people dying by the millions in Africa would be able to say quite the same about the dogma of the catholic church.

RA Dunk 06 October 2011 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 10269934)

Somehow I don't think the people dying by the millions in Africa would be able to say quite the same about the dogma of the catholic church.

The same can be said about Steve Jobs and the invention of the Iphone as well though, I very much doubt some wee Darky living in a mud hut gives a toss about the latest 3G.

JTaylor 06 October 2011 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983 (Post 10269846)
Yes it exists, but not in the same realistic terms as what technology does. Religion only exists because people beleive in it. If people refused to have any part in religion it would simply not be there. But chooseing not to beleive in an i phone will not make it magically dissapear.

St. Peter's Basilica is tangible, believers or otherwise.

jonc 06 October 2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 10269934)
Steve Jobs was a fairly benign sort. He fed the demand people had and became wealthy as a result. So what? He certainly hasn't had a negative impact on humanity, as judged by the effect on the happiness of the people in any way involved with him or his products.

i disagree, he created fanboi's who are hopelessly devoted to anything associated with an iProduct. There are people out there who would sell their own grandmothers and camp days on end outside a store just so they can get their hands on the latest and greatest, there is no cure for this condition. These poor poor people.

what would scooby do 06 October 2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 10269975)
i disagree, he created fanboi's who are hopelessly devoted to anything associated with an iProduct. There are people out there who would sell their own grandmothers and camp days on end outside a store just so they can get their hands on the latest and greatest, there is no cure for this condition. These poor poor people.

*nods* We should take pity on anyone who has a sycophantic relationship with any brand.

Gear Head 06 October 2011 12:29 PM

Please don't tell me we are comparing Steve Jobs to the head of a religious order? :wonder:

GlesgaKiss 06 October 2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 10269942)
The same can be said about Steve Jobs and the invention of the Iphone as well though, I very much doubt some wee Darky living in a mud hut gives a toss about the latest 3G.

I don't get the comparison. :wonder:

jonc 06 October 2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10269996)
Please don't tell me we are comparing Steve Jobs to the head of a religious order? :wonder:

Yes, we are comparing Steve Jobs to the head of a religious order! The clue is in the title. :lol1:

Tidgy 06 October 2011 12:42 PM

haha, apple is a embrio compared to the church lol. So only fair comparison is from each's inception.

anyone know what date it is?

nuff said.

Carlh 06 October 2011 12:50 PM

To me, nurses, soldiers, police (and others) are FAR more deserving recognition that a guy who made his billions off the backs of others.

He did NOT invent the Ipod. AN englishman did in 1979.

He was TEAM leader - NOT the inventer.

Credit where credit is due, yes, a nice product (limited in functionality and very expensive). Has he done anything to help mankind ? No. It has been for HIMSELF and NO ONE else.

Do we praise the guy who invented Television ? Id say that person had MUCH MORE of an impact than an Ipod.

In 2 years, people will forget who he is and what he has "done", because someone else will have some amazing technological device (they already are better than the "I" devices now)

Tidgy 06 October 2011 12:53 PM

wasn't he the marketing genius behind apple, not the tech savvy one?

Simon C 06 October 2011 01:20 PM

For me you could wipe the chruch from the face of the planet and I would be happy, however I would miss my computer and ipod.