ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   V power or tesco 99??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/907758-v-power-or-tesco-99-a.html)

wrxsti280 01 October 2011 08:15 PM

V power or tesco 99???

Ok, just looking for people experiences of the above fuels, my car is currently mapped for v power and has never been run on anything other than v power, however, its getting a pain in the arse to get as the local shell garage has stopped selling it and the nearest one that does sell it is 7 miles in either direction, i do have a tesco that sells 99 ron about a mile away, and was considering going to tesco as it is still 99 ron the same as v power and easier to get hold of.

Is it ok to use without remapping the car? I assume so, but wanted to double check first, is there any downsides to using tesco nstead of v power?

duds64 01 October 2011 08:19 PM

ive used both and cant tell any difference in performance, the only thing different is you get more to the gallon with tescos 99:thumb:

Jimbob 01 October 2011 08:20 PM

Mine feels flat on v-power, seems better on 99. JDM 1996 WRX.

wrxsti280 01 October 2011 08:44 PM

Can i ask you Guys if you had your cars mapped on either of the fuelscand then swapped to the other?? Thats the only thing im worrying about..

cuprajake 01 October 2011 08:47 PM

when i had my car it was mapped on tesco 99, when i spoke to andrew and asked if there was much difference between vpower or tesco it was a massive yes, he told me when mapping he got simular results to some poor race fuels using vpower, not to mention its a more refined fuel, lets face it for 4p a litre extra is it worth skimping?

lordharding 01 October 2011 08:51 PM

Ran tesco for nine years on my classic and gave 20 miles more per tank then shell
No difference in performance

addi monster 01 October 2011 08:53 PM

my mapper and dyno operative told me tesco 99 was what they called random det hence my 8 mile journey to find v power

Mrfastbaz 01 October 2011 08:59 PM

v power without a doubt

wrxsti280 01 October 2011 09:02 PM

The extra cost of v power is insignificant, ive never used aything else up until now, its just getting a bit of a ballache getting hold of it...

Mrfastbaz 01 October 2011 09:10 PM

worth the seven mil round trip to fill up though....

arumdevil 01 October 2011 10:08 PM

I tend to do a 15 - 20 mile round-trip to get V-Power so I undestand your position. Except it's even farther for me to get tesco99 so I don't have a lot of choice (morrisons 95 ron, I don't think so!).

PaulJC 01 October 2011 10:13 PM

My nearest V-Power is 12 miles away from home, i even have to travel 9 miles for 99 from here, i can access both quite close to work or 99 near to my daughter so i tend to stick with 99 for consistancy (and clubcard points lol)

dj219957 01 October 2011 10:34 PM

hi steve, ive noticed the cold start performance on tesco 99 is not as good as v power.
the ethanol content is higher. but in terms of det resistance then i would have thought they are like for like as they are similar ron, therefore no remap required.

53 01 October 2011 10:47 PM

Never had a problem with T99 :) when mine was mapped I think I had half a tank of 99 but filled up with V-power during mapping :)

What ECU are you running again I forget, Simtek ? if so I'd keep an eye on the det light and see if anything materialises :)

mickywrx 01 October 2011 11:02 PM

Mines not re-mapped, thought Tesco 99 was crap, didn't get anywhere near as far in comparison to V-Power. Pops and bangs with V-Power, not with Tesco 99.

53 01 October 2011 11:09 PM

^ Mine always flames better with V-power, no idea why :)

wrxsti280 02 October 2011 03:13 PM

Yep, simtek ecu stu, im just being lazy i suppose, To be honest i think im just gonna stick with v power, never had an issue with it in 7.5 years, just get used to travelling for it now....

53 02 October 2011 03:17 PM

I tend to put a nip of NF in for the Wagon because of the Simtek anyway :) but use T99 in both the other scoobs with no NF or issues :)

Tescos is only 2 miles from my house verses 14 to the Shell. Given my wagon only does about that to the gallon on a sprint to the garage it's an expensive fill up. You can end up with only 3/4's of a tank by the time you get home lol :D

wrx kenny 02 October 2011 03:36 PM

I kow a tanker driver who delivers for tesco , v power and tesco momentum come from the same pump only diference v power has additives added as its being pumped into the tankers .I have to say my car does stutter with tesco , but do get better mpg.

kenny

-shane- 02 October 2011 03:44 PM

First time round I had car mapped on v power, runs fine etc then I swapped to tesco again because its alot closer to me, I've noticed no real difference the car isn't deting on either,

Only think that I have noticed and it might be a coindense but the car is sometimes not starting as well as it has before, so may try a few tanks of V power see if any difference

craigyp 02 October 2011 04:41 PM

Never had a issue with t99 in 4 years.. Try and get v power if near one, but it don't bother me either or really

Matt2732 02 October 2011 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by wrxsti280 (Post 10262639)
Can i ask you Guys if you had your cars mapped on either of the fuelscand then swapped to the other?? Thats the only thing im worrying about..

Mine was mapped with tesco 99 in the tank but runs just as well on v power. Haven't done any tests on mpg but the fact that I live 2 mins from tesco petrol station and its 3-4p a litre cheaper means I use it more. However, when I need to too I use v power without hesitation, no issues with using either whatsoever.