ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Kate McCann named one of the 20 most inspirational women in Britain (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/907591-kate-mccann-named-one-of-the-20-most-inspirational-women-in-britain.html)

The Zohan 30 September 2011 10:41 AM

Kate McCann named one of the 20 most inspirational women in Britain

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/877077-k...men-in-britain

It's not April 1st is it?

Beggars belief...

TelBoy 30 September 2011 10:44 AM

To a bunch of loud fast car-owning blokes it might seem odd.

To mothers, especially still with young children, it's much more understandable.

But i guess this will descend into a Kate is Guilty witchhunt, it normally does.

tony de wonderful 30 September 2011 10:44 AM

Shame about her accent.

boxst 30 September 2011 10:45 AM

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_p305OiLZR...te+bedtime.bmp

Myles 30 September 2011 10:52 AM

Look at the calibre of judge they use for this kind of thing

Emma Hope is one of the UK?s leading shoe designers. Shoe designer.....really?
Sara Murray is a serial entrepreneur. Designing cereals?
Nicky Kinnaird MBE is the founder and creative director of Space NK.
Miriam González Durántez is the head of international trade law and partner of DLA Piper.
Front row, from left to right:
Karren Brady is Lord Alan Sugar?s assistant on The Apprentice and w&h columnist.
Sue James is the editorial director of woman&home and our website womanandhome.com.
Fiona Phillips is a television journalist, presenter .....and the icing on the cake, facking Fiona Phillips.

FlightMan 30 September 2011 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 10260710)
To a bunch of loud fast car-owning blokes it might seem odd.

To mothers, especially still with young children, it's much more understandable.

But I guess this will descend into a Kate is Guilty witch hunt, it normally does.

I think to mothers with young children, she is viewed as a poor example of motherhood.

Leaving your children in a holiday apartment whilst you go out for a meal isn't inspirational. It's irresponsible.

Myles 30 September 2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 10260712)

Holy sh1t! That could possibly be the most offensive thing I have ever seen........if there wasnt a chance it was true.

Myles 30 September 2011 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 10260723)
I think to mothers with young children, she is viewed as a poor example of motherhood.

Leaving your children in a holiday apartment whilst you go out for a meal isn't inspirational. It's irresponsible.

Especially after spending a day playing tennis when the kids are in a holiday club. Kids are for life, not just for Christmas.

tony de wonderful 30 September 2011 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 10260712)

That's a bit sick to be fair. :\

TelBoy 30 September 2011 10:57 AM

Not questioning this. The poll uses the word "inspirational" though, in the way she has doggedly pursued looking for Maddie and justice for the abductor(s).

We can rake over the fact she shouldn't have been in this situation in the first place till the end of time, but that's not what this poll asked.

martin850 30 September 2011 11:00 AM

FFS, The fact that Jo Brand also made the list shows it is a waste of time. Why did Kate Middleton's dress designer make the list and she didnt :wonder:

Pathetic!!!

TelBoy 30 September 2011 11:01 AM

Some people here are seriously over-estimating the quality of the general population :lol1:

BOB.T 30 September 2011 11:14 AM

Women are fooking mental! :)

SJ_Skyline 30 September 2011 11:16 AM

She certainly inspired Karen Matthews...

boxst 30 September 2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 10260734)
Not questioning this. The poll uses the word "inspirational" though, in the way she has doggedly pursued looking for Maddie and justice for the abductor(s).

Yes. Regardless of your opinions on the case, you have to be impressed the way the McCanns managed to keep a story in the papers for so long. Lots (hundreds?) or children go missing every year, yet this has stayed at the top of the pile and is still there ...

Steve

The Zohan 30 September 2011 11:27 AM

Also viewed this way by fathers of young children:)

TelBoy 30 September 2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 10260755)
She certainly inspired Karen Matthews...

What so every kidnap is now Maddie McCann inspired? :Suspiciou

Matthews has never admitted that the McCann case was a factor, and in any case, its premise to claim a newspaper reward was not a repeat of what happened with Maddie. Easy to draw conclusions such as this, in reality it's unprovable heresay.

TelBoy 30 September 2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by The Zohan (Post 10260776)
Also viewed this way by fathers of young children:)

Absolutely. But do you honestly not quite "get" why in the aftermath she might just be seen as inspirational, in terms of strength of spirit etc? Or must she be held to account and doomed to the gates of Hades forever more?

what would scooby do 30 September 2011 11:36 AM

The strangest thing happened to me last night...

I put my dinner in the oven as normal, and I must have left it for about 30 minutes before going back to check on it.

To my surprise, when I opened the oven door, the whole thing had gone. Tray, food, everything - not a trace.

Last time I buy McCann's Oven Chips

lordharding 30 September 2011 11:43 AM

Irresponsible

Every parent in the country thinks she is/was an idiot leaving 3kids like that unattended so she coukd have a meal with her posh friends

Trout 30 September 2011 12:17 PM

Well she might inspire me if she didn't look so miserable all the time!!

Gear Head 30 September 2011 12:18 PM

As devastating as it must have been to lose her child and still to not know where she is or what happened to her, I cannot understand leaving her 3 young children unattended in an unfamilier location in a foreign country. :wonder: To me that is utter madness.
What she has done from then is not inspirational or exceptional, it is what most parents would do when faced with a missing child. :thumb:

Those are the facts that we do know. :thumb:

TelBoy 30 September 2011 12:21 PM

Well obviously it is inspirational, not to you maybe, but to others who responded to the poll. As i said, loud fast car-owning blokes etc.

TelBoy 30 September 2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 10260846)
Well she might inspire me if she didn't look so miserable all the time!!

The woman can't win!

I'm sure she's acutely aware of how far she'd be hounded if she even dared to smile in public, let alone laugh. The Sun (today's headline the Liverpool goalie nicking a doughnut) would have a field day.

Tidgy 30 September 2011 12:24 PM

mmm, ignoring all the jokes.

inspirational? what a load of guff, irresponsible and bad example of how to parent more like.

David Lock 30 September 2011 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Zohan (Post 10260706)
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/877077-k...men-in-britain

It's not April 1st is it?

Beggars belief...

No it doesn't.

That poor woman had her kid taken and who was probably raped and killed a few hours later. The s,hit that the family got for trying to find her was unbelievable. Talk about kicking someone when they are down.

And do you really think she needs to be told again that she was wrong to leave her kid alone? All these holier than thou attitudes :o So it's all right for holiday camp families to leave their kids watching TV in their room with a staff check every now and again while their parents chat at the bar, which used to be a regular feature of Butlins type holidays, but absolutely abhorrent for the MaCanns to eat with their "posh" friends. I wouldn't do it but people make mistakes and if someone targets a kid they will get them.

If nothing else it will have made parents even more aware to keep a wary eye open at all times.

dl

Trout 30 September 2011 12:25 PM

I think I was thinking of a different kind of 'inspiration' ;)

As you say 'loud fast car-owning blokes etc' :D

TelBoy 30 September 2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10260854)
mmm, ignoring all the jokes.

inspirational? what a load of guff, irresponsible and bad example of how to parent more like.

And ignoring all the explanations/justifications for inspirational too, clearly. Dear me.

TelBoy 30 September 2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 10260856)
I think I was thinking of a different kind of 'inspiration' ;)

As you say 'loud fast car-owning blokes etc' :D

I was severely bollocked for even hinting at that angle :o :D

Tidgy 30 September 2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10260855)
No it doesn't.

That poor woman had her kid taken and who was probably raped and killed a few hours later. The s,hit that the family got for trying to find her was unbelievable. Talk about kicking someone when they are down.

or did she hide the fact she had died when they weren't around? who knows