ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Doorstep Chugging............ (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/907527-doorstep-chugging.html)

David Lock 29 September 2011 07:21 PM

Doorstep Chugging............

I am fairly familiar with high street chuggers lurking around corners in high streets trying to get you interesested in signing up for a regular donation to some charity. It doesn't especially bother me and I find a polite "not interested" usually works.

But I we have now moved to a quiet village in the SW and there are now some that knock on the door and can be fairly aggressive. I appreciate that they don't earn any money until they have a few people signed up but what especially gets me is the fact that they aren't even interested in a small one-off donation to the charity which I sometimes offer.

Anyone else had these doorstep muggers?

dl

tony de wonderful 29 September 2011 07:25 PM

Unleash the hounds on 'em.

madscoob 29 September 2011 07:35 PM

normally a polite i do give to charity , i work for ###### uk ltd tends to work :thumb:

hutton_d 29 September 2011 07:44 PM

Never had that "type" turn up at the door. Plenty in the "real" SW (W. Cornwall, not the bleddy middle-of-the-UK Wiltshire :hjtwofing ) in town though. Was funny watching them the other day whilst having a coffee. Several boys and girls stopping people. One of the chaps was only stopping attractive girlies; couldn't hear the spiel but was sure he was just after a "date".

"Not interested" works for me.

Dave

PaulC72 29 September 2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 10259910)
Never had that "type" turn up at the door. Plenty in the "real" SW (W. Cornwall, not the bleddy middle-of-the-UK Wiltshire :hjtwofing ) in town though. Was funny watching them the other day whilst having a coffee. Several boys and girls stopping people. One of the chaps was only stopping attractive girlies; couldn't hear the spiel but was sure he was just after a "date".

Dave

I don't often get asked out on dates by men, but I imagine a not interested would work for me too :D

David Lock 29 September 2011 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 10259910)

Dave

I thought Cornwall was a charity case in its own right :D

dl

subaruturbo_18 29 September 2011 10:18 PM

My mate used to do door to door sales for charity. No pay unless you make sales. 100% commission. Made him into a brilliant salesman though!

EH52WRX 29 September 2011 10:23 PM

Chugging............ That has a totally different meaning up here.

EOEUMC 30 September 2011 11:20 AM

I have a sign on the front door saying "all callers to the rear" and then on the rear door I have a different sign explaining that we say no to certain types of callers and a small list of around 5 is on it. Like cold callers, charity callers, trick or treating, salesmen (unless a prior arrangement has been made) etc.
Its good to see when people walk past the kitchen window and I am in there and then you see them walk back past without ringing the bell :D

CrisPDuk 30 September 2011 12:45 PM

We've been having two or three different ones a month since Chrtstmas, I just tell them I already contribute £10 a month to whichever charity they are representing, that always clears them off :thumb:

My dog also has a slight bladder control problem when she meets new people, she's p!ssed on the feet of one or two of them :lol1:

Tidgy 30 September 2011 12:51 PM

we get them now and again, 'i suport other charities' works very well, anyone who tries even that gets a firm goodbye.

we also get alot of these plastic donation bags put through the door. Our cat makes sure he informs them of our position on those. Hands + letterbox = claws, tends to make them stay away. Plus he shows his distaine for the ones that are succesfully posted and he rips them to bits for us lol

Unfortuantly the postman gets it as well, but he knows to well to not put his fingers in the letter box now lol

CrisPDuk 30 September 2011 01:20 PM

I use the free plastic bags as bin liners, not had to buy them in years :thumb:

what would scooby do 30 September 2011 01:30 PM

You just need to punch them in the face so hard their shoes come off.

:D

SiPie 30 September 2011 01:50 PM

Somw call them Chuggers, I prefer to call them CHUNTS :)

David Lock 30 September 2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 10260942)
You just need to punch them in the face so hard their shoes come off.

:D

Come, come. You're not on duty now you know :)

dl

oldsplice 30 September 2011 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10260885)
we get them now and again, 'i suport other charities' works very well, anyone who tries even that gets a firm goodbye.

we also get alot of these plastic donation bags put through the door. Our cat makes sure he informs them of our position on those. Hands + letterbox = claws, tends to make them stay away. Plus he shows his distaine for the ones that are succesfully posted and he rips them to bits for us lol

Unfortuantly the postman gets it as well, but he knows to well to not put his fingers in the letter box now lol

I want to see a pic of your cat! :lol1:

Cammy5106 30 September 2011 05:58 PM

Chugging up in Scotland means Wanking I was wondering what the hells going on in England if folk knock your front door and are stood there Wanking lol

RobsyUK 30 September 2011 08:45 PM

you saying that, I did a survey and both Give Blood & NSPCC wouldn't accept a small donation of £10. They wanted me to sign up for £3 a month.

I can't understand why they won't take a one off payment. Now they get **** all.

Tidgy 30 September 2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by oldsplice (Post 10261318)
I want to see a pic of your cat! :lol1:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/IMAG0285.jpg

:norty::norty::norty::norty::norty::norty::norty:

vindaloo 01 October 2011 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10259870)
I am fairly familiar with high street chuggers lurking around corners in high streets trying to get you interesested in signing up for a regular donation to some charity. It doesn't especially bother me and I find a polite "not interested" usually works.

But I we have now moved to a quiet village in the SW and there are now some that knock on the door and can be fairly aggressive. I appreciate that they don't earn any money until they have a few people signed up but what especially gets me is the fact that they aren't even interested in a small one-off donation to the charity which I sometimes offer.

Anyone else had these doorstep muggers?

dl

You can get signs to stick near the front door.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/c..._feature.shtml

HTH

J.

kingofturds 15 April 2012 12:17 PM

We had some door step chuggers calling around yesterday. A polite no thanks was met by a 5 minute guilt trip speech on how many children in Africa die every minute and that just 25 quid a month would do my bit towards helping them live.
Next time I will just stick my knob through the letter box and piss on their shoes.

RobsyUK 15 April 2012 12:27 PM

I'm terrible though, A right sucker for hearing them out...

Had this pikey boy knock on my door a few weeks back and ask if I want double glazing. Stupid ****ing **** couldn't see anglia windows had put DOUBLE GLAZING in less then a year ago.

Wish I had said yeah put them in the car !!!

DYK 15 April 2012 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 10579000)
We had some door step chuggers calling around yesterday. A polite no thanks was met by a 5 minute guilt trip speech on how many children in Africa die every minute and that just 25 quid a month would do my bit towards helping them live.
Next time I will just stick my knob through the letter box and piss on their shoes.

:lol:

Have no problem in telling them to clear off,i respect that they are doing a job but i'm not interested is exactly what it means. :007:

ScoobyWon't 15 April 2012 01:10 PM

We always take our Newfoundland to the door. The size of him always puts these people off.

greenonedave 15 April 2012 09:00 PM

Had Battersea dogs home chuggers here the other day,
I ended up e mailing the dogs home complaining about their technique, a real pain in the arse, They put me of ever giving to any charity again.
So full in your face Iam your best mate attitude, WTF:hjtwofing