ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Internet explorer loads up at startup how to stop (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/90660-internet-explorer-loads-up-at-startup-how-to-stop.html)

john banks 25 April 2002 09:35 PM

It is on a Win 95 laptop (I have my reasons it is a low spec laptop).

It loads IE5 at startup and I can't find the option to disable. Nothing in win.ini, autoexec, startup folder, IE options, device manager (unlike Win 2K on my desktop) for example.

Ideas?

super_si 25 April 2002 10:20 PM

Dont make it defualt brower?

mparsonage 25 April 2002 11:25 PM

On Win 2K the registry key for running stuff at startup is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

Don't know whether this is the same for Win 95, but there is probably something similar.

john banks 26 April 2002 08:42 AM

There was nothing under the above key in Win 95.

super_si 26 April 2002 08:43 AM

I wanted to get rid of IE full stop! no Uninstall for it

When it loads, whats it trying to connect to?

You could try that pop up killer??

suba 26 April 2002 09:05 AM

hmmm... dunno if this will work in windows 95 but give it a try. goto START/RUN and type msconfig. at the last tab, have a look at what's starting during bootup.

another thing to check is goto TOOLS/OPTIONS in IE and goto the Connections tab. click on Never dial a connections.

if that still fail, rename iexplorer.exe and reboot. check for any error message when windows 95 try to launch IE (but cant coz of the rename).

john banks 26 April 2002 09:57 AM

msconfig wasn't on there either! All the tricks on the later versions don't seem to work. I think I might be putting Win 98 on there fresh install.

It doesn't have any connect settings yet, so it is just page cannot be displayed error.

Thanks for all the help.

I think it is one of these things where you have to set it up from scratch exactly how you want it otherwise you (well me anyway) never know what is going on if (when with Windoze) things go wrong.

[Edited by john banks - 4/26/2002 9:59:33 AM]

super_si 26 April 2002 10:12 AM

i had paint running everytime on start up that were puzzling!

Si

Figment 26 April 2002 10:21 AM

john - you're not using Freeserve as an ISP by any chance?

Check outlook express is not set to run at startup and check for mail - this could have some bearing

David_Wallis 26 April 2002 11:17 AM

check hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\curre ntversion\run
runonce
runservices

check the same on local machine key...

export the keys and delete every entry and then reboot.. see what happens... then try adding each one back...

check active desktop is not set to display a web page as your back drop...

check startup folder for hidden files / shortcuts..

Start internet connection wizard and set proxy to blank

David