ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/906265-offence-under-the-road-traffic-act-1988-a.html)

baz995 19 September 2011 06:07 PM

Offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988?

Hi all

my Mrs recently did not renew with her previous insurer as the premiums were ridiculous compared to a new insurer. We got the pack through ages ago and phoned to let them know we wouldnt renew. Obviously going with a new insurer we destroyed the documents.

Had a letter from her previous today stating that its an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 for us not to return the certificate of insurance (which we never requested)? We have a new certificate from the new insurer and the car is insured. The letter goes on to tell us all about SORN and under continuous insurance enforcement if there is no record on MID she could face prosecution?

Any advice?

Godspeed Brakes 19 September 2011 06:10 PM

tell them you posted it back first class post , not your fault if they didn't get it.
As long as your insured you have nothing to worry about

RA Dunk 19 September 2011 06:10 PM

Feck em, it's usually the opposite way about, God knows how much problems I've had getting proof of no claims from previous insurers.

andythejock01wrx 19 September 2011 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by baz995 (Post 10244113)
Hi all

my Mrs recently did not renew with her previous insurer as the premiums were ridiculous compared to a new insurer. We got the pack through ages ago and phoned to let them know we wouldnt renew. Obviously going with a new insurer we destroyed the documents.

Had a letter from her previous today stating that its an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 for us not to return the certificate of insurance (which we never requested)? We have a new certificate from the new insurer and the car is insured. The letter goes on to tell us all about SORN and under continuous insurance enforcement if there is no record on MID she could face prosecution?

Any advice?

Hey Baz,

I'm an insurance chap. Wouldn't worry about it too much. Ideally you would just call them to confirm that the document has been destroyed. They may send out a statement for you to sign to that effect.

On the other hand, of you ignore them, they'll bugger off anyway!

cobra_mark 19 September 2011 06:35 PM

I too work with motor insurance and Andy is right. The issue is more with them than you as they need either an electronic affirmation of cancellation in writing as proof.

snuffle 19 September 2011 06:53 PM

hmm

Originally Posted by cobra_mark (Post 10244163)
I too work with motor insurance and Andy is right. The issue is more with them than you as they need either an electronic affirmation of cancellation in writing as proof.

does that mean we get looked after and get cheaper insurance off you :thumb:

acstua 19 September 2011 06:57 PM

ive had a similar letter complaining i hadnt returned the docs' for a policy i never renewed
i just ignored it, no come back :)

C8 DHC 04WRX 19 September 2011 10:04 PM

What if the letter you 'received today' never actually arrived......................

yviamprie 19 September 2011 10:19 PM

I have never had a letter like that, which is good but is that normal?

baz995 20 September 2011 08:24 PM

thanks for all the comments mates, sorry for my late reply but for some reason i am not getting updates via email

STi_Si 22 September 2011 02:51 AM

It is indeed an offence under Section 147 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 however there are provisions regarding loss or destruction...

Rescue Dude 22 September 2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by baz995 (Post 10244113)
The letter goes on to tell us all about SORN and under continuous insurance enforcement if there is no record on MID she could face prosecution?

Any advice?

Check your insurance here.

http://www.askmid.com/