ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Any android experts in here ref sony phones (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/906105-any-android-experts-in-here-ref-sony-phones.html)

Simon C 18 September 2011 05:50 PM

Any android experts in here ref sony phones

I tseems I have got myself an Xperia Ray, and I was wondering if you could remove the Sony interface leaving just the android operating system? My bug bear is that the phone can't / won't talk to my mac.

I'm not going to try it yet, as O2 wont cancel the upgrade (why is beyond me), but the shop might be able to exchange it for a Samsung Ace that will (same spec and near enough the same size as the Ray).

Sorry, Android is ailien to me as I've been an iphone user for the last 4 years, but not going for the 5 as the price will be hidious.

P1Drifter 18 September 2011 06:00 PM

check out xda-developers.com

Simon C 18 September 2011 07:02 PM

P1drifter, I did before asking, I'm guessing as its a new phone there is nothing out there.

jura11 18 September 2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 10242533)
P1drifter, I did before asking, I'm guessing as its a new phone there is nothing out there.

Have look on this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1244557&page=2

Jura

hux309 18 September 2011 08:01 PM

The newer sony phones have the boot loader unlocked, so you can have your dirty way with them, unlike samsung/motorola.

bigsinky 18 September 2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by hux309 (Post 10242628)
The newer sony phones have the boot loader unlocked, so you can have your dirty way with them, unlike samsung/motorola.

my galaxy2 was rooted about 15 minutes after i bought it. no problems here.

hux309 18 September 2011 08:51 PM

Well can't say i know that much about sammys, but that's good to know as i have a galaxy s wifi 5.0 coming with my new telly in a few days.

But motorola certainly lock theirs, hopefully with google now owning them that'll soon change, and for the better.

They're usually the first to release with the best tech.

Simon C 18 September 2011 09:10 PM

Bloody hell this is confusing! My biggest limitation is I don't won a windows machine! Just looking at apps (ideally free) that can sync my address book and ical as thats all I need. That way if the phone doesn't get changed then atleast it will make it livable wwith.

JackClark 18 September 2011 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 10242713)
my galaxy2 was rooted about 15 minutes after i bought it.

Kinky.

hodgy0_2 18 September 2011 09:40 PM

what, Phone sex?

bigsinky 18 September 2011 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10242860)
Kinky.

in a perverse sort of way, yes it is. i have corrupted my phone completely. Warranty totally out the window of course. i managed to get rid of the big yellow warning triangle on start up that lets you know that an unsecure kernal is in situ but, those pesky samsung bods have place a firmware counter that users can't get to in the phone. they can check if the kernal software has been changed. you can "unroot" your phone back to stock firmware if it needs to go back but they can check if you have been naughty :D

hardy172 18 September 2011 09:52 PM

if you have agreed on a new handset over the phone with O2 then you have the right to exchange it within 7 days of receiving it. it's called the distance selling act or something like that!!
if you have had iphone for years then your probably not going to be happy with the qaulity of the galaxy ace or experia play. They are both budget android handsets.

Android is very good but You would be better off eith a galaxy s 2.

Simon C 18 September 2011 10:54 PM

I did it through an intermidiate (Tesco's) so we will see what they say on Monday. I've got the Ray not the play. Quality on the Ray is ok actually, and from the play I had with the Ace it seemed ok too.

Yes I've had the iphone for years, but I dont need a music player, or the cost of an Iphone so just wanted a phone that is internet enabled and does email and a few other things.

Although I have found a work round that does what I need now.

hardy172 19 September 2011 09:19 AM

Sorry I did mean ray not paly. The play is a pain in the arse lol!!

The quality of the touch screen ect isn't quiet as good as the S2.

I don't know what Tesco mobile's exchange policy is on exchanges. But you could say that an insufficient demo of te handset was given when making your choice and see what happens from there.