ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Prodrive style (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/905932-prodrive-style.html)

Mike-K 17 September 2011 07:43 AM

Prodrive style

Hi guys, I'm thinking about upgrading my wrx to an sti. A friend has recently taken a blob sti as a px and it seems to have the prodrive style kit fitted. Should it have the power upgrade as it has the kit? Also it's an 02 2002 with 80k miles and has a few small problems and one key - realistically in today's market what's it worth??

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 08:33 AM

02 is a bugeye , i think the prodrive style is just bodywork i.e bumper and spoiler.
if it has the ppp power upgrade it should come with a certificate.
The price depends on the problems, but they are selling for about 5 to 6 k.
I only had one key when i bought my car, i got a spare from a local locksmiths for £40 , it opens the lock and has the transponder to start the car in it but no button for the alarm.
if you want and original key they are about £250 from a dealers.

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 09:02 AM

The "Prodrive style" only applied to the MY02 (bug) sti and was a styling package of bumper, spoiler, clocks, rear spoiler and skirts and had nothing to do with an increase in power.

The Blob STi came with a big spoiler in any case and had no equivalent styling package.

The Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP) was just that.......a performance pack and should come with a certificate.

Prodrive style bugs go for £4 to 6k depending on condition........

Shaun

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10240286)
The "Prodrive style" only applied to the MY02 (bug) sti and was a styling package of bumper, spoiler, clocks, rear spoiler and skirts and had nothing to do with an increase in power.

The Blob STi came with a big spoiler in any case and had no equivalent styling package.

The Prodrive Performance Pack (PPP) was just that.......a performance pack and should come with a certificate.

Prodrive style bugs go for £4 to 6k depending on condition........

Shaun

what i said then lol

Mike-K 17 September 2011 09:23 AM

Thanks guys

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 09:24 AM

........ That'll teach me for not reading posts properly :D

Shaun

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 09:27 AM

it is early!!

i dont but maybe someone does on here, take a look at it and if it looks good hpi it and have a mechanic check it over.

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 09:29 AM

Have you got any pics of it ?

Shaun

Mike-K 17 September 2011 09:46 AM

Hi mate. No pics, it's just standard in wr blue. Not sure if it's worth upgrading from my standard bug wrx which is mint. Is it worth it guys? Wrx to sti???

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 09:55 AM

Is your bug mapped......easy to get non-PPP sti performance with a few mods. STi PPP does take the power to 305PS which is beyond your bug.

Shaun

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 10:01 AM

and has better stuff fitted already like a six speed box and brembo brakes, sti is a better performance car, this debate is always on here.
i have owned both a wrx and an sti and the sti is a far more capable performance car,
and the money you spend on few mods on your wrx to get sti performance why not spend the same money on an sti and get over 350 bhp?

Mike-K 17 September 2011 10:03 AM

My bug is standard (and for sale). Im more of a buy a car and get it running nice and polishing every week type of person. Are the sti engines any more or less reliable?
I did a search on here with te reg.... no luck.

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 10:11 AM

I admit that the STi is a better base to start from as it has a lot more kit.... but the WRX is worth about £2k and the STi £5k so to make the leap to an STi starts at a £3k spend........

Shaun

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mike-K (Post 10240375)
My bug is standard (and for sale). Im more of a buy a car and get it running nice and polishing every week type of person. Are the sti engines any more or less reliable?
I did a search on here with te reg.... no luck.

sti has a stronger engine and gearbox,
if perfromance is not an issue, keep your wrx.
as midlife said the sti is more expensive to buy and run.
the main problem with upping the power on the wrx is the weakest point will break and that is generally the gearbox, the sti has a far stronger 6 speed version with bigger clutch to handle the power.

Mike-K 17 September 2011 10:34 AM

Don't get me wrong, I like a fast car, but I like standard looking cars and not playing too much with the engines. I have had a performance secon car for gears and only cover around 2k miles a year.

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 10:39 AM

the sti is faster and looks better in standard form,
a standard wrx looks a little weedy in comparison as the wheels look too small and pinched.
on the sti the skirts,spoiler and bigger wheels make it look more agressive.

this is my opinion of course and i have had a wrx and its a great car but the sti is better especially if your keeping both in standard form.

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 10:43 AM

Standard bug sti wheels, sideskirts and spoiler are the same size as the WRX, the spoke pattern on the STi wheels are different though...

Shaun

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 10:49 AM

doubt the wheels are the same as wrx ones wont clear brembos. the wheels just look as if the fit too far inside the arches on a wrx

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 10:54 AM

OEM wheels are still 17" for bug WRX and STi , Mike Wood at Prodrive did suggest people would like to move over to 18" wheels if they went for the PPP.

The Spoke pattern on the STi is different and had a different offset to clear the Brembos.........and were gold

All the bugs looked like they were "on stilts" when they came from the factory. Subaru said it was to make room for snow chains LOL

Shaun

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 10:54 AM

OEM wheels are still 17" for bug WRX and STi , Mike Wood at Prodrive did suggest people would like to move over to 18" wheels if they went for the PPP.

The Spoke pattern on the STi is different and had a different offset to clear the Brembos.........and were gold

All the bugs looked like they were "on stilts" when they came from the factory. Subaru said it was to make room for snow chains LOL

Shaun

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 10:56 AM

ahhhh its possibly the offset that makes the wheels sit in the arches different to the sti.