ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   when does a wrx engine need a rebuild and why help please (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/905909-when-does-a-wrx-engine-need-a-rebuild-and-why-help-please.html)

scoobydan1985 16 September 2011 10:07 PM

when does a wrx engine need a rebuild and why help please

hello im a little new to this whole subaru stuff i did ask for honest comments on my last post and honest comments and messages i got some good some bad and some well not good at all but everybody has an opinion ....... anyway when does a subaru wrx 2002 plate need an engine rebuild and why :wonder:

thank u danny

tubbytommy 16 September 2011 10:12 PM

when its broken,because its broken

it could blow up tommorow or it could do 200.000 miles.
they dont get to 99000 miles and all blow up. the life depends on how they are driven and serviced.
the main faults that would kill it would be bottom end bearing failure or head gaskets

wrx fifer 16 September 2011 10:14 PM

what tommy said, if there ragged and not looked after like any car they give up!!

Midlife...... 16 September 2011 10:14 PM

I've got a Bug WRX 2002...... sensibly modded and not ragged to death (ok it got ignored for a while when baby Dominic came along)

but still runs sweet :)

Shaun

Mrchips 16 September 2011 11:19 PM

Doesn't need a rebuild, until everyone else has said blown up.

They are pretty good if looked after, like anything treat it nice itll be nice to you, treat it bad and it'll be expensive. Enjoy what you have keep servicing up to scratch, like oil changes. And will last.

I do mine every 5000 miles, but that is just me.

GTR Cook 16 September 2011 11:36 PM

To back up what others have said, wait till it lets go, they are pretty good when looked after.

Take a look at this for a comparison on what the WRX can take, I can vouch for the bug eye in this thread as a well sorted all rounder which was fine for 90k miles, engine was fine.

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...c-content.html

Link posted purely as it answers the question of what a WRX can take.

tubbytommy 16 September 2011 11:40 PM

are you worried you have bought a dog??

scoobydan1985 17 September 2011 09:20 AM

thanks for the advice i just been told a lot of crap by other subaru owners like u need a rebuild at 90k no matter what and no tommy i dont think i bought a dog im just asking advice as i personally know other members on the forum and said everyones a nice group and will give good advice but actually starting to wonder on some people if they dont like my car thats there opinion but personally i wouldnt say nothing bad about anybodys car as thats how they want it so good luck

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 09:25 AM

there must be loads of people on here way over 90k.
if its un modded and serviced with good oil etc it should go on too 200k.
warm it up before driving hard and it will be fine, thrashing when cold will kill it quick as will modding it like decatting and front mount intercoolers etc. without a remap.
dont worry, drive it with mechanical sympathy and service properly and it will be fine, its a japanese car!!!

scoobydan1985 17 September 2011 09:46 AM

ok cool cheers i just bought it as my 1st subaru so its all new i dont really drive it hard untill its warmed up properly but i still change the gears at 4 rpm so not redlining it or anything its not overly modded its just got a straight through with remap dump valve and larger fuel pump and the prodrive pack and think im gonna leave it as that really as i know the car drives fine lol and if any one had my luck they would do the same lol

tommy u in essex or out of essex as u seem to know what ur on a bout
cheers dan

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 09:52 AM

if its been remapped you should be ok, stay out of the turbo until engine has warmed properly, take no notice of the temp gauge on the dash as this is water temp, fit yourself an oil temp gauge as it take a good ten mins to get up to 90 degrees ish this is the real running temp and you should drive slowly until this is warm.
change the oil every 3k and use a good quality fully syth oil and it will be ok, no im nowhere near essex but have owned 5 subarus now and in my experience its bad driving,servicing and unmapped mods that kills them and nothing to do with mileage.

that avatar is not my real car maybe that is why you think i live in essex :thumb:

this is my current impreza.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...9-16125444.jpg

-shane- 17 September 2011 10:07 AM

Agree with the above I have a gauges fitted and was amazed how long the oil temp takes to get the full running temp,

Once warm then there is no problem putting your foot down these cars were designed to be used,

After driving say the last 2 miles of your journey keep of boost, park up leave for 30secs and switch off

As said keep the oil changes up mine get changed about every 4.5k using the best oil possible,

Ps tubbytommy have you any more pics of your car? Did you cut your mudflaps down?

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by -shane- (Post 10240381)
Agree with the above I have a gauges fitted and was amazed how long the oil temp takes to get the full running temp,

Once warm then there is no problem putting your foot down these cars were designed to be used,

After driving say the last 2 miles of your journey keep of boost, park up leave for 30secs and switch off

As said keep the oil changes up mine get changed about every 4.5k using the best oil possible,

Ps tubbytommy have you any more pics of your car? Did you cut your mudflaps down?

i took a few yesterday as its been valeted for the japshow because its on a stand,

look here https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ow-finale.html

the mudflaps are mini versions from scoobyparts as i dont like large rally style ones but if you run without mudflaps you get stone chips all up your doors on the sti.

oobyJu 17 September 2011 11:52 AM

agree with the "buy some gauges" bit from tubby, (oil tem/pressure for defo & maybe boost) the standard ones on the dash are a token gesture only.

scoobydan1985 17 September 2011 01:43 PM

thanks for the advice and by the time i get out of clacton and past all the speed cameras and biddys it does usually take about 10 mins lol but very nice car tubby i thin as my 1st subaru i havent made a terrible choice but think i may have done a bit better but i was eager and didnt realise it was a sti spoiler i thought it was a prodrive spoiler thats what i was told anyway lol and now i feel silly driving round under faulse intentions ...

IMPORTPETE 17 September 2011 03:58 PM

Tbh mine is a lot older it's a 95 wrx always warmed up cooled down etc etc regular oil changes slightly modded with 3" turbo back exhaust air filter fuel pump and running a chip similar to a polar chip so not a perfect map but I've done 160000km now and (touch wood lol) still sweet as a nut taking a bit more looking after these days though she's getting old but impressive for a car of it's age

lippy1923 17 September 2011 03:58 PM

Im gona sound like a complete wally, but go easy.. I'm a typical girl with not a lot of car knowledge. What do you guys mean by mapped? Im pikin my new scoobie up next sunday. I really need to study more about them im thinking :p

The Zohan 17 September 2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by lippy1923 (Post 10240791)
Im gona sound like a complete wally, but go easy.. I'm a typical girl with not a lot of car knowledge. What do you guys mean by mapped? Im pikin my new scoobie up next sunday. I really need to study more about them im thinking :p

a remap is changing the current ECU (engine management chip) settings to give more power torque, etc. It can put more strain on the engine and drivetrain dependant on what you want. It is usually done in conjunction with other engine mods such as a change to the exhaust system, air filter, front mounted inter cooler to make the best of these modifications and to make sure the car is running right - the right air/fuel mixture, timing, etc.

scoobydan1985 17 September 2011 06:56 PM

i know it sounds really silly but i have a turbo timer so when i take the key out of the ignition it stays runing for 1 minute is that too much or should i preset it to 30 sconds and if i put a list of my mods up would anybody be able to give me an estimate on the bhp i got it going on a dyno next month but just wondered if anybody had a rough guess

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 07:04 PM

Turbo timers are a waste of time on an impreza. drive off boost for the last couple of miles.
Put the mods up fella, someone will have similar mods on their wrx so will be able to tell you their bhp

scoobydan1985 17 September 2011 07:22 PM

starting to hate this car lol

right here goes
it has an air induction kit (not sure the make )
straight through 3.5 inch exhaust no cat
larger fuel pump
prodrive performance pack
a dump valve (not sure the make )
been remapped to the mods
everything that was done on the car was done by zak performance in harlow i think thats what the last owner said and it was all done on the same day

so any ideas on the bhp
cheers

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 07:29 PM

Bug 2002 WRX has a Mitsubishi TD04 Turbo which maxes out at about 280 BHP

PPP takes the power to a shade below 250 BHP, usually remaps (EcuTeK and Opensource) take the car to 265-270 BHP with decat, filter and fuel pump

Shaun

justin_watson 17 September 2011 07:35 PM

If i had to guess mate, 260ish?

scoobydan1985 17 September 2011 07:36 PM

ok cheers would it be an advantage to get the ppp taken off and another silly question what does the ppp actually do apart from stop u wheelspinning and sliding

scoobydan1985 17 September 2011 07:37 PM

i was thinking roughly 300 lol how wrong was i

justin_watson 17 September 2011 07:50 PM

Just a rough guess with mods but wait for the SN geeks to come along and they should be a bit more accurate, as regards to ppp I suggest you have a look at scoobypedia, it gives you all the info on spec and all the lingo you find on here which can answer some of your questions! Hope this helps mate!

scoobydan1985 17 September 2011 07:54 PM

never heard of that 1 ill have a look now thanks for the help

oobyJu 17 September 2011 08:01 PM

i had similar on an 04 wrx it made 265bhp, leave it alone at that power it will be reliable if serviced properly with good oil Motul/Fuchs or similar go here
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/
remove turbo timer tho, insurance will go down they hate them

scoobydan1985 17 September 2011 08:05 PM

just saved that to favourites and its true i should just leave it alone as its working fine but as it has the ppp should it still be capable of drifting as i have seen them on good ol you tube drifting with a ppp not that i wanna do it but was just asking and theres no traction switch in my car is this normal aswel lol cheers for the advice

tubbytommy 17 September 2011 09:27 PM

Ppp has nothing to do with handling. it is an exhaust,one of the two cats removed and a remap to up the bhp and torque slightly.
I believe it was fitted after registration to sidestep emission regulations.