ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Who runs Harvey's Ported Headers on a Classic ? Opinions please. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/905859-who-runs-harveys-ported-headers-on-a-classic-opinions-please.html)

ScoobyForLife27 16 September 2011 04:16 PM

Who runs Harvey's Ported Headers on a Classic ? Opinions please.

As above. I'm interested in Harvey's ported and wrapped headers plus matching up pipe but these are not cheap as for standard modified headers. Could you tell me please if these are that good as Harvey's says.
Thank You

53 16 September 2011 04:33 PM

How much are they mate I need a set ? :)

ScoobyForLife27 16 September 2011 04:50 PM

If I remember well, £360 for a set. Both heat wrapped with new bolts. PM him.

ScoobyForLife27 16 September 2011 04:50 PM

Oh, I forgot, that's exchange rate.

53 16 September 2011 04:51 PM

Will do mate I was being lazy :lol1:

Blimey exchange rate, might have to buy some OEM headers then as mine are aftermarket jobs and the OEMs go for £25 to peanuts. :)

the hamster 16 September 2011 05:03 PM

ouch, for £360 i'd want to see something noticable thats for sure but apparently theyre the recommended ones so i'd be interested in knowing why too.

ScoobyForLife27 16 September 2011 05:07 PM

I know. That's why I'm asking if they worth the money?

the hamster 16 September 2011 05:09 PM

What else are you running on yours chap? Might be worth listing up in case Harvey replies and can give you more details on how they'll improve your setup.

I'm running a VF35, ECUtek map, FMIC, Walbro pump and induction kit with 336bhp and 298lb/ft but would like more torque.

alcazar 16 September 2011 05:11 PM

Quicker spool, lower down the rev range, more torque.

Harvey has done a LOT of work on gas flowing and knows his stuff.

The WRONG choice, especially up-pipe, can make the car slower:eek:

ScoobyForLife27 16 September 2011 05:14 PM

I know people on here done porting themselves and they're happy from results. So...

sonic93 16 September 2011 05:14 PM

i hear only good things with these headers under 400 apparently better than any aftermarket jobs. he s a very clever man speak to harvey he will do his best to help u even if your not buying an item off him. Im sure u get bit more bhp but mostly more torque and drivability

rob

alcazar 16 September 2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyForLife27 (Post 10239367)
I know people on here done porting themselves and they're happy from results. So...

Nowt to stop anyone trying, but, as I said, get it wrong and the car will be WORSE.

ScoobyForLife27 16 September 2011 05:25 PM

I'm not saying that his headers are NO Good or anything like that. I was just wondering how different they are to headers I'll port myself for example. Just asking for people opinions if they're really worth the money. I'm VERY interested in these but I though maybe I'll try to do it myself and save some £.

BlueBugEye 16 September 2011 05:28 PM

I gained 400rpm of spool with a set of Harvey ported headers and up-pipe vs OE plus power also increased on the remap.

I'm currently running at 440BHP on ported headers with un-matched up-pipe (I've swapped the turbo since getting the headers)

apac 16 September 2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye (Post 10239384)
I gained 400rpm of spool with a set of Harvey ported headers and up-pipe vs OE plus power also increased on the remap.

I'm currently running at 440BHP on ported headers with un-matched up-pipe (I've swapped the turbo since getting the headers)

I also agree with this. On my old classic Uk turbo it made a big difference to torque and spool, especially if mapped on the car. they a re a cheap and VERY worth while mod for a standard or lightly modded UK turbo

alcazar 16 September 2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyForLife27 (Post 10239382)
I'm not saying that his headers are NO Good or anything like that. I was just wondering how different they are to headers I'll port myself for example. Just asking for people opinions if they're really worth the money. I'm VERY interested in these but I though maybe I'll try to do it myself and save some £.

Nowt to stop you trying.
But, as I've tried to point out, you might end up with worse.

ScoobyForLife27 16 September 2011 05:54 PM

My car: V2 Sti, fully decatted, Major_Sarcasm Chip, walbro, K&N IK, lightweight flywheel, PFR7B's spark plugs plus some other handling mods.

ScoobyForLife27 16 September 2011 05:56 PM

Ok. I'll give them a go :-)

KK3960 16 September 2011 06:54 PM

Will he port and wrap newly supplied GT spec?

beef-on-the-bone 16 September 2011 07:00 PM

am tempted towards a set of these

alcazar 16 September 2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by KK3960 (Post 10239537)
Will he port and wrap newly supplied GT spec?

Best to PM him on here, or go to his website and e-mail him to ask.

He is good with advice even if you don't buy from him.

sonic93 16 September 2011 08:30 PM

gb im sure theres a good few people want them done

KK3960 17 September 2011 09:01 PM

Yes i know Harvey from long back, he ported some OEM headers for me in Darlington and Paul fitted a 20G he supplied. Whats his website?

prodriverules 17 September 2011 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by the hamster (Post 10239349)
ouch, for £360 i'd want to see something noticable thats for sure but apparently theyre the recommended ones so i'd be interested in knowing why too.

Not a bad price really considering what a new set of genuine GT spec headers cost,now that is ouch!

alcazar 17 September 2011 09:14 PM

This is his e-mail: harveysmith1@btopenworld.com

Or PM him on here, he posts as harvey

harvey 18 September 2011 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyForLife27 (Post 10239278)
As above. I'm interested in Harvey's ported and wrapped headers plus matching up pipe but these are not cheap as for standard modified headers. Could you tell me please if these are that good as Harvey's says.
Thank You

Ported headers, exchange with a new stainless steel, slip jointed uppipe with five new Subaru studs and all DEI heat wrapped is £369. We can send out to you or fit here in Darlington for a fixed £75. The price includes the uppipe which sells for £139 on its own. For the work involved I consider this is a bargain, especially in relation to the benefits derived.
You will get better spool, a more willing and crisper car with noticably better torque. Your turbo will develop the same boost at less duty cycle or more boost at the same duty cycle. I do not make any unsubstantiated claims, some of my customers have already shared their experiences with you and I have not received a single complaint from anyone that has fitted these over a number of years.
There is porting and there is porting and my porting has been developed over a number of years with the use of gas flow bench equipment. From time to time I take back headers in exchange which have already been ported and because the person carrying out the porting has not understood what it is about they are scrap. It is not a simple matter of opening out the port diameter to get the results I get consistantly.
The benefits and commendations for my ported headers are numerous. Just do a search.
I also supply GT2 Spec tubular header sets but there is no point porting these. What is worthwhile on the tubular header sets is DEI heat wrapping and swapping the supplied uppipe for my trick 3 bolt uppipe which greatly improves spool and torque as many people have found out.

prodriverules 18 September 2011 03:43 PM

+1 Harvey,your work is second to none and I for one have one have a 'trick' uppipe on my GT2 spec headers and gained a good chunk of torque and 600rpm better spool.
Your the man Harvey:notworthy

wrxsti280 18 September 2011 03:45 PM

Harvey, is your trick up pipe compatible with any headers and standard td05 ??

wrx9181 18 September 2011 03:47 PM

Mine does it's a newage with avecs so quicker spool anyway and after fitting only portd heads and matching uppipe spooled quicker by 500 rpm

prodriverules 18 September 2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by wrxsti280 (Post 10242198)
Harvey, is your trick up pipe compatible with any headers and standard td05 ??

Standard uppipe is a 2 bolt fixing where as the GT spec one's are 3 bolt,pretty sure he does a 2 bolt type[around 6 versions depending on your turbo selection]