ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Motorway gantry signs - seen this one before? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/905703-motorway-gantry-signs-seen-this-one-before.html)

Flight 15 September 2011 01:13 PM

Motorway gantry signs - seen this one before?

Joined the M3 at Southampton this morning and immediately the gantry signs came on saying 50mph. Usual false alarm I thought to myself. Then the next set of signs say 20mph. So assume must be something, so slow down.

Next gantry sign was one of those new fangled ones displaying text. And what did it say ... "20mph - Oncoming vehicle". At this point I slow right down.

But there are still cars going by at 80mph. Needless to say nothing was to be seen. But still, that has to be proper pooh generating signage if ever there was.

Terminator X 15 September 2011 01:19 PM

Pooh :wonder:

http://itthing.com/wp-content/upload...e-The-Pooh.jpg

TX ;)

TelBoy 15 September 2011 01:35 PM

Talking of motorway gantries, there are lots of new ones on the M25 where they've been widening the road. Every now and then a very quick flash of orange shoots across them, some sort of test i imagine. But blimey does it make you jump! I've thought it was a speed camera every time it happens :D

For cars going above 70mph of course, not me :smug:

Jimbob 15 September 2011 01:41 PM

Had Matrix signs on down here just flashing 20mph.
Local radio came on and said the very same, car on coming.

Didn`t see police, or any oncoming car.

speedking 15 September 2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Flight (Post 10237357)
"20mph - Oncoming vehicle". At this point I slow right down.

But there are still cars going by at 80mph.

I think it would make little difference if you hit an oncoming vehicle at a combined speed of 90mph or 150mph ;)

BigGT3Fan 15 September 2011 04:34 PM

Just whether what's left fits in one tin can or two?

Dr Hu 15 September 2011 04:39 PM

Don't talk to me about Gantry Signs.....

WILL THE FCUKWIT WHO CONTROLS THE HARD SHOULDER RUNNING ON THE M6 MIDLANDS FCUK OFF AND DIE.....

No hard shoulder running AGAIN this morning - 20 miles fecking queue - no hard shoulder - FFS how hard can it be to flick a switch.... :(

None on monday - running on tuesday, none on weds or thurs.... FFS

wayne9t9 15 September 2011 04:52 PM

I think thy do it for a larf :lol1:

Steve vRS 15 September 2011 08:10 PM

Had the 'Oncoming Vehicle' one before on the M6 by Wigan.

You are right, it certainly got my attention. About 2 miles further on, there was a car pulled up a Highways Agency works access road surrounded by about 3 police cars!!!

Steve

PaulC72 15 September 2011 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Hu (Post 10237563)

WILL THE FCUKWIT WHO CONTROLS THE HARD SHOULDER RUNNING ON THE M6 MIDLANDS FCUK OFF AND DIE.....

No hard shoulder running AGAIN this morning - 20 miles fecking queue - no hard shoulder - FFS how hard can it be to flick a switch.... :(

maybe the guy who controls it only works on Tuesday? :wonder:

DYK 16 September 2011 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Hu (Post 10237563)

:lol1::lol1:

All the effort and money gone into a fourth lane(hard shoulder)on the m6 through Birmingham,and its still the same as before.jnc 10 sth you're fooked,6 or 7 nth you're fooked :hjtwofing M5 from West Brom leading to M6 you're fooked.Been like it for yrs,get rid of the M6 toll,not the M6 just the toll ;)

Blue by You 16 September 2011 08:29 AM

M/way gantry signs are a complete waste of time unless they're used properly, and that means turning them off when the hazard is cleared.
On the M6 last week with all the traffic slowed to 40 mph by gantry signs. A police car comes by at well over 70 mph and takes the next exit. Gantry signs still on :Whatever_
Needless to say there was no sign of any hazard when we got to the end of the signage. No wonder drivers ignore them most of the time.
Why can't the old bill or traffic muppets just radio in and tell whoever needs to be told to turn the damn signs off. Is it so hard to do in this modern age of immediate communication FFS? :mad:

Carlh 16 September 2011 09:10 AM

M6 is a nightmare

Mrfastbaz 16 September 2011 10:27 AM

m42 is the same had the gantry signs switched on saying 40 or 50 in all 4 lanes and many times havent got a clue what the problem is no blockage or anything ...if anything makes traffic heavier as you have pockets of traffice slowing down and others still blazing away at higher speeds.....crap idea..

mattsan 16 September 2011 11:05 AM

Over here in Oz the over head signs say things like weaving causes accidents, no **** Sherlock and so do stupid things like that when you take your eyes off the road to read them!!

Terminator X 16 September 2011 11:09 AM

Slower speeds keeps the traffic moving rather than start / stop ... fact! That's why they're trying to slow you all down.

TX.

Blue by You 16 September 2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 10238792)
Slower speeds keeps the traffic moving rather than start / stop ... fact! That's why they're trying to slow you all down.

TX.

I don't think there's any question regarding the valid use and resulting increased safety of the correct use of warning signs.
Just the fact that they're not used efficiently, and used badly they actually add to the problems of overcrowding we see on the roads.

Miniman 16 September 2011 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 10238792)

TX.

Agreed, however on the M25, you'll often find one gantry at 50, the next 40, then a few at 60, then a couple at 30, etc, etc. Surely this does not help flow.