ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Windows 8 (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/905568-windows-8-a.html)

JackClark 14 September 2011 11:16 AM

Windows 8

Looking pretty good, anyone here running it? More specifically running as a VM?

Ant 14 September 2011 11:53 AM

Woulnt mind trying it myself

An0n0m0us 14 September 2011 12:43 PM

Is it only available from torrents or is there an official beta/trial available to the masses?

CREWJ 14 September 2011 12:50 PM

Haven't tried it yet but rom the videos of it I'm not that impressed. Seems to be trying to make it like a phone OS.

Won't know more until I do try it though.

Midlife...... 14 September 2011 12:55 PM

I read somewhere that ReactOS (russian) is under development and will be faster / the same as Windows 8. Not sure how they get around all the copyright stuff, mind you it is Russia LOL

Shaun

CREWJ 14 September 2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10235824)
I read somewhere that ReactOS (russian) is under development and will be faster / the same as Windows 8. Not sure how they get around all the copyright stuff, mind you it is Russia LOL

Shaun

Here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14899507

Slugmeister 14 September 2011 01:03 PM

Open Mind

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10235726)
Woulnt mind trying it myself

Despite the haggling about Apple products and software Ant, the recognition that there are other computer manufacturers and operating systems, shows there is hope for you yet!
On the other hand, it could be for the windows partition on the Mac so you can play games!!
A new microsoft operating system leaves the mistakes of the past behind for a legacy of new problems generated by fixing the last issues.
It would be nice to get a system that is not full of code from the last generations of windows!
The company computers still use XP pro, pretty horrible but generally stable!:Whatever_

JackClark 14 September 2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 10235801)
Is it only available from torrents or is there an official beta/trial available to the masses?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

stevebt 14 September 2011 01:39 PM

I have it running on mine and it only has a few changes so far as compared to my Windows 7 Ultimate

An0n0m0us 14 September 2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10235867)

Cheers Jack, will download it and run as a vm and see what it's like.

Ant 14 September 2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Slugmeister (Post 10235835)
Despite the haggling about Apple products and software Ant, the recognition that there are other computer manufacturers and operating systems, shows there is hope for you yet!
On the other hand, it could be for the windows partition on the Mac so you can play games!!
A new microsoft operating system leaves the mistakes of the past behind for a legacy of new problems generated by fixing the last issues.
It would be nice to get a system that is not full of code from the last generations of windows!
The company computers still use XP pro, pretty horrible but generally stable!:Whatever_

:lol1: my computers is not 100% apple. I have 2.6 c2d pc rig with 8gig ram and 3TB. Windows is ok I just prefer osx

JackClark 14 September 2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 10235880)
I have it running on mine and it only has a few changes so far as compared to my Windows 7 Ultimate

New Bluescreen

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/as...bluescreen.jpg

An0n0m0us 14 September 2011 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10236198)

Yep you get that booting the iso in vmware workstation 7 or player. You need vmware workstation 8 to get it to work or use virtualbox as this works fine apparently so trying it now.

JackClark 14 September 2011 09:44 PM

Excellent, I run virtualbox.

An0n0m0us 14 September 2011 09:55 PM

Got it on virtualbox, wtf have they done to Windows :lol1:

bigsinky 15 September 2011 07:32 AM

what parameters did you lot use in VB. i can't get it to run at all. i just get a load of error messages. i have tried both the 32bit and 64bit? must be the Linux I am using. Strange as XP and Win 7 Ultimate work fine.

An0n0m0us 15 September 2011 09:22 AM

Just the standard, didn't change anything. I do everything in vmware (esxi and workstation/vmplayer) so virtualbox is new to me so just pointed to the iso and off it went. Took a couple of goes before it completed 100% expanding files on the windows installer and completing the install but got there in the end.

DJ Dunk 15 September 2011 11:08 AM

Mine kept black screening, so I changed some settings as per here:

http://www.sysprobs.com/guide-instal...s-8-virtualbox

Installed perfectly after that.

SwissTony 15 September 2011 12:11 PM

Metro looks good, the rest looks a bit of a mishmash but I guess time will tell

Must have a look at the beta and run it in Virtualbox

An0n0m0us 15 September 2011 01:19 PM

I don't think it will be a big seller if they maintain the current design. It's fine for geeks like us lot who can navigate new OS desktops and workout what is going on but can you imagine this new design used in offices or casual users at home? Windows 7 was offputting enough for some to stay with XP so this new one is 10 times worse.

The biggest issue is no traditional start menu once in the desktop. To shutdown having to press alt + F4 is not exactly an easy guess for those who don't know.

Personally having been supporting Windows OS since Win95 came out I really don't like this new tangent and stinks of trying to make a laptop/desktop into a tablet OS such as Android Honeycomb.

CREWJ 15 September 2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 10237361)
I don't think it will be a big seller if they maintain the current design. It's fine for geeks like us lot who can navigate new OS desktops and workout what is going on but can you imagine this new design used in offices or casual users at home? Windows 7 was offputting enough for some to stay with XP so this new one is 10 times worse.

I don't quite agree with that, Windows 7 has made most things easier to do and is more intuitive.

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 10237361)
The biggest issue is no traditional start menu once in the desktop. To shutdown having to press alt + F4 is not exactly an easy guess for those who don't know.

Personally having been supporting Windows OS since Win95 came out I really don't like this new tangent and stinks of trying to make a laptop/desktop into a tablet OS such as Android Honeycomb.

Now this I totally agree with!

An0n0m0us 15 September 2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by CREWJ (Post 10237374)
I don't quite agree with that, Windows 7 has made most things easier to do and is more intuitive.

Yes of course it has but many people don't see it like that such as my parents for example. Those are the people i'm talking about, casual users who don't know much about computers and just expect things to work as they did before.

Lots of businesses still use XP as it is an excellent OS (compared to its predecessors such as Windows 2000/NT4/Win98 etc) and so never saw it necessary to upgrade. I think those will stay or at best only go to Win7.

SwissTony 15 September 2011 02:38 PM

How dare you miss out the wonderful OS that was Windows ME :lol1:

An0n0m0us 15 September 2011 02:43 PM

That doesn't even register as a valid OS in my book and I can't believe any business ever used it. I still installed it and ran it but not for long :lol1:

JackClark 15 September 2011 03:57 PM

Don't forget BOB

http://toastytech.com/guis/bobhome1p.png

Ant 15 September 2011 05:42 PM

Anyone know if this will work in parallels?

Ant 15 September 2011 07:27 PM

tried it anyways , yes it does work

chrisowe 15 September 2011 08:51 PM

Yep, it's working fine on Parallels 6 here. What have they done to Windows?

tarmac terror 15 September 2011 08:52 PM

Saw this today at a seminar - impressive startup time on an old-ish laptop running from a USB stick. Guy demonstrating it said it would install from clean in 25 minutes.

michaelro 16 September 2011 12:29 PM

Boss installed this on a pc we had spare

:freak3:

We don't have touch screens, so navigating menu's doesn't quite work

Work for the NHS so miles behind on OS anyway (XP :lol1:), but I can see us sticking on 7 for quite a while when we do upgrade as this doesn't suit office / desktop working imo.

Feels like they are trying to make the PC market and tablet market into 1...