ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   Removing a bugeye steering wheel. (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/905233-removing-a-bugeye-steering-wheel.html)

martin850 12 September 2011 08:58 AM

Removing a bugeye steering wheel.

I have just bought a blobeye Sti steering wheel to fit onto my bugeye, my question is though how do I get the current one off? :wonder:

I imagine that the battery needs to be disconnected because of the airbag but other than that I'm at a loss :rolleyes:

Any help will be appreciated :thumb:

JDM_Stig 12 September 2011 09:15 AM

Battery disconnected with sidelights on,
T30 torx x 2 and a 17mm Socket,
BUT will the airbag plug be the same, Ive got a few and they are different from a standard bug wheel.
hth

alcazar 12 September 2011 10:01 AM

Why sidelights on?

I was taught this way: Turn off ignition and then disconnect BOTH sides of battery. Leave for 30 minutes, then undo the two Torx screws and lift up the airbag to reveal the connector. Disconnect this and put the airbag to one side, in a safe place.

When reconnecting, make sure no-one is in the driver's seat when you reconnect the battery, ditto first time you turn on the ignition, from outside the car, window down or door wide open;)

I've put a WR1 wheel onto a 98 classic, no probs, but the connector came ready modified.

Removing wheel:
Place wheel at straight ahead.....check that wheels point forward, it's best done by allowing the car to roll to a stop in a straight line.
Undo nut on wheel centre, get someone to hold the wheel as you do it, it's on TIGHT.

Once it's loose, DO NOT fully remove it, but unscrew it leaving it threaded a few turns. This ensures that should the wheel come free suddenly, you don't get a broken nose;)

Now pull and at the same time wiggle wheel side to side, NOT like steering, like push on left side, pull on right, then opposite, while maintaining steady pressure.
NOTE: it took TWO of us to get my wheel off my classic.

JDM_Stig 12 September 2011 10:03 AM

leaving sidelights on just drains it all down, no chance of a cap holding any charge,
It also means you can get on with it.

Midlife...... 12 September 2011 10:07 AM

You will also need the STi spinner or the indicators won't self cancel. Don't remove the nut completely, leave it on a few threads, that way when the wheel jumps off the column it won't smack you in the mouth / face. Otherwise as above :)

Shaun

PS I've got a blob STi wheel in my Bug WRX, a lot smaller and nicer :D

martin850 12 September 2011 10:18 AM

Thats great, thanks for the how to and tips.

When you say the connectors could be different which ones do you mean? The wheel I have for was fitted onto a classic so any mods should already be done. Plus mine is a late bugeye so fingers crossed.

Midlife...... 12 September 2011 10:20 AM

The STi loom which should come with the wheel is a straight swap......the spinner is a different size. Shaun

martin850 12 September 2011 10:27 AM

Nice one thanks Midlife, it does come with the spinner so happy days. Fingers crossed for no broken nose ;)

martin850 12 September 2011 10:33 AM

Here is a link to the one I have bought, does everything look ok with it?

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...or-stalks.html

Mr Windscreen 12 September 2011 10:55 AM

Hi mate, saw your bug by work (Autoglass) at the weekend. I,ve fitted one in my bug, as long as you have the clock spring from the blobeye you will be fine as the connector for the blobeye airbag is different from the bugeye one. I,m back at work weds morning from about 7am if you get stuck.

Midlife...... 12 September 2011 11:09 AM

Yep...looks like you have the loom and the spinner / clockspring. Shouldn't need the indicators though LOL

Shaun

martin850 12 September 2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Windscreen (Post 10232097)
Hi mate, saw your bug by work (Autoglass) at the weekend. I,ve fitted one in my bug, as long as you have the clock spring from the blobeye you will be fine as the connector for the blobeye airbag is different from the bugeye one. I,m back at work weds morning from about 7am if you get stuck.

You had the misfortune of working Sunday as well then :)

If I have a mare I will give you a shout. :thumb:

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10232113)
Yep...looks like you have the loom and the spinner / clockspring. Shouldn't need the indicators though LOL

Shaun

:D Always good to have a spare or two lol. Thanks again mate :thumb:

alcazar 12 September 2011 01:21 PM

That wheel and stalks look good. What did you give for it, can I ask?

Paid £250 for mine, wheel and airbag, ready to fit.

Midlife...... 12 September 2011 01:23 PM

looking at the post I thought it was £100.........I think I paid £225 for mine but it was about 7 years ago LOL

Shaun

martin850 12 September 2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10232315)
That wheel and stalks look good. What did you give for it, can I ask?

Paid £250 for mine, wheel and airbag, ready to fit.

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10232323)
looking at the post I thought it was £100.........I think I paid £225 for mine but it was about 7 years ago LOL

Shaun

Got it for what I hope is a bargain of £90 delivered ;) :thumb:

Mr Windscreen 12 September 2011 03:04 PM

Good price, i got a clockspring for £15 off ebay!

martin850 12 September 2011 04:31 PM

:thumb:

alcazar 12 September 2011 05:48 PM

£90:eek: Jeez, that IS a bargain!

martin850 12 September 2011 08:48 PM

I'm a bit of a David Dickinson but without the dodgy tan (bargain hunt) ;) :rolleyes:

alcazar 13 September 2011 12:02 PM

Hmmmmmm, David Dickinson eh? There's a question I could ask here, but it could get me banned.......:D

martin850 13 September 2011 12:33 PM

:lol:

martin850 17 September 2011 12:22 PM

Right, got the steering wheel through today and it looks pretty good.
The only issue I have is that the connector from the clock spring with the two short wires sleeved in yellow looks broken, now this maybe the one that you guys said may need to be modified to fit on other models of impreza?

Please could someone tell me if I'm right and also what that connector is for as I can't see where it attaches to? :wonder:

Mr Windscreen 17 September 2011 01:51 PM

Any pics mate, one connector fits in the back of the airbag and the other plugs into the wiring loom for indicators etc

martin850 17 September 2011 02:08 PM

The first photo in this link shows it, it's the shorter one hanging to the right hand side of the clock spring.

martin850 17 September 2011 08:41 PM

Am thinking now that it could be for the horn? :wonder:

Anyone?

alcazar 17 September 2011 09:40 PM

On those pics, I see two yellows, a balck and green.

The horn is generally just one wire, mine was black.

I'd say the yellows were airbag, but why two lots?

martin850 17 September 2011 09:53 PM

One of the yellows has a female connector on as does the black one, the shorter yellow sleeved wires seem to have a male connector on them. :wonder:

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 10:11 PM

Martin

Have you got an e-mail address I can send a pic of my wheel to ? Tinypic is being flakey.

Shaun

Midlife...... 17 September 2011 10:14 PM

Ha Tinypic working.

AFAIK there are two plugs......one is yellow and is the dangerous airbag stuff and the other is black and is the indicators. Mind you it's a long time ago..

http://i54.tinypic.com/35mmoux.jpg

Shaun

martin850 18 September 2011 02:58 PM

I will take a better pic of the clock spring and connectors and post it up.