ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Clunking Noise when turning wheel after worm (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/904711-clunking-noise-when-turning-wheel-after-worm.html)

MOycanooo 08 September 2011 04:52 PM

Clunking Noise when turning wheel after worm

Hi all,

I would to know if someone can help me with this.

I have got a subaru impreza Wrx from 2002 that after i drive it for a few miles when turning at low speed does a clunking noise I can actually feel it like it is coming from underneath of the car.

My video is on Youtube were you can actually hear what it sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUTYPw8iMm8

Can someone help me with this?

i would appreciate a lot.

Thanks

gofasterstripes 08 September 2011 09:44 PM

100% cv joint gone mate needs replaced

MOycanooo 08 September 2011 11:14 PM

but is it normal that i dont hear it when i start the car?its just when i drive it for a few miles.
thanks

gofasterstripes 09 September 2011 02:26 AM

its nothing to do with starting the car its when you drive and turn the steering the noise will appear correct

cv joint i have replaced loads and thats the noise they make when there shot cv joint is on the end of the driveshaft, it turns when u move of and when its worn the ball bearings in it will make the clicking noise i heard on the vid

regards
scot

MOycanooo 09 September 2011 12:22 PM

ok, i will have a look at the today.

Thanks a lot for the help ;)

MrJim 09 September 2011 01:08 PM

Hi Mate,i had a similar problem it only made that noise when turning slowly after a few miles when the car had warmed up,when cold no noise at all was centre diff re placed it and no more noise hope this helps Jim.02 sti prodrive

MOycanooo 09 September 2011 01:21 PM

right, this looks more like my problem...because is just after a few miles of driving it that does it.

MrJim 09 September 2011 01:44 PM

Hi Mate ,mine was worse when i parked in a carpark where i had to use full lock,i could feel it through the car as said before when parking when cold no noise, good luck

Flathead 09 September 2011 04:36 PM

Centre diff i think you will find.

mbayley77 11 September 2011 03:12 PM

Where do you buy centre diffs? I think i may need one on mine? 6 speed. dccd-a

and why does it only happen when warm?

MrJim 11 September 2011 04:46 PM

i got mine replaced by subaru4you in newbury :thumb:

MrJim 11 September 2011 04:48 PM

Hi moycanoo lets know the result thanks

ScoobyStu82 11 September 2011 10:35 PM

Def centre diff, Iv got the same problem

MOycanooo 12 September 2011 01:48 AM

Hi all, i will try to get it checked tomorrow because i cant cope with this noise anymore... :)
Ill let everyone know something about it.
If i need to replace it i will also try to do a diy guide to post here! :)

mbayley77 12 September 2011 06:06 PM

Whats the cost on these things? Parts only.

MrJim 12 September 2011 06:26 PM

Hi Mate,a new centre diff is about £300 if you do it yourself the gearbox does not have to come out only the end hope this helps

Scoobyno1 30 September 2011 06:38 AM

Anyone know if the problem was fixed or known to be something other than the centre diff?

I have a similar problem but if feels more like the wheels are dragging.

SouthWalesSam 05 October 2011 01:59 PM

bttt

Anyone?

SouthWalesSam 08 October 2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobyno1 (Post 10260484)
Anyone know if the problem was fixed or known to be something other than the centre diff?

Bump

Flathead 08 October 2011 10:44 PM

Check this out ! http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ce-them-46979/

scottboi 10 October 2011 01:40 PM

did you find out what it was as mine is doing the same as your but a bit louder

Scoobyno1 10 October 2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Flathead (Post 10274102)

Now this would pin point the problem, but isn't a cheap fix by all means.

Now another question is, if its not replaced then will it cause any long term damage to the gearbox?

MrJim 10 October 2011 09:43 PM

Hi Mate i drove mine for almost a year like it

Scoobyno1 10 October 2011 09:58 PM

Yeah, the only problem to me is that I've had the car for about a month and I'm not sure how long its been like this?

It looks relatively easy to change the diff but the part is very expensive so which is why I was wondering if it could cause any further damage or if it won't get any worse?

Any ideas?

nevespereira 10 October 2011 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobyno1 (Post 10260484)

Hi, I´m having the same problem, start a week ago, its a 99 wrx wagon. Feels at low speed, turning the wheels like its something block the interior wheels (both rear and front).

Thanks
Nuno

scoobymatto 15 October 2011 05:57 PM

Also had the same problem, def centre diff, new part from subaru was around £550!!!!
plus fitting, i managed to get a good second hand diff for £20 and fitted it myself without any trouble using a friends ramp, took about 4 hours total.

Scoobyno1 15 October 2011 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by scoobymatto (Post 10284615)
Also had the same problem, def centre diff, new part from subaru was around £550!!!!
plus fitting, i managed to get a good second hand diff for £20 and fitted it myself without any trouble using a friends ramp, took about 4 hours total.

Hi mate, the fitting doesn't worry me its just getting hold of one.

Can you remember where you got your diff from?

nevespereira 15 October 2011 08:16 PM

Dear All,
its posible to fix the center diff, which points must we look for?
Anyone have some photos of the center diff (good and bad)?
Its recommended to change the bearings, which ones?
And if not asking to much, what its the reference of the bearings?

Thanks
Nuno :)

scoobymatto 16 October 2011 07:21 AM

I struck gold really when i found one, got it from a chap on here who was going rear wheel drive so did not need his diff. I was going to get a used gearbox and strip it for parts.

Nuno
The problem is you cant really see which is a good or bad diff, if you get one second hand then its pot luck really, as for the bearings i think there was two in the transfer case, all was ok with mine so i reused them.

Flathead 16 October 2011 09:58 AM

My UK spec 2000 plate has been like it for about twelve months i only use it for short journeys mainly. Once the special fluid in the centre diff gets hot it breaks down and causes the clunking when the car is parked and it cools its fine again. My son a mechanic also has a subaru and he replaced his gearbox the other day and took this centre diff out of his UK spec 96 plate. http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ub/Picture.jpg