ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Final Cut Pro X - Apple ae finally listening to the professionals (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/904001-final-cut-pro-x-apple-ae-finally-listening-to-the-professionals.html)

ScoobyDoo555 03 September 2011 09:12 AM

Final Cut Pro X - Apple ae finally listening to the professionals

and re-releasing the older Final Cut Pro 7.

Of course, to save face, they're doing it under the guise of "getting rid of old stock", Apple were running the risk of losing one of it's biggest markets due to a poor update.

Pro X, whilst in some ways is quite innovative, in others, totally ignored the needs of the professionals that actually use it to create the shows, film, ads etc that we all watch. A simple case of innovation getting in the way of real-world use.

I've seen this unfold since the launch of Pro X, and could see the train crash that it was causing.
There were fears that the same attitude would be applied Logic Studio, the music production package used by Pros and consumers alike.
Hopefully this won't be the case.

As it stands, as a footnpte, I can't upgrade to Lion (not that I'm bothered too much, I don't really see the advantages - and YES, I do have it installed on one machine) - none of my plugins are supported yet, thus rendering my workflow dead in the water. Will have to see how it goes over the next 6 months.....

But not so much "Well Done Apple" for listening to your customers, but "about bl00dy time Apple - remember, without your customers, you're nothing."

Dan

JackClark 03 September 2011 09:54 AM

That's a bit flawed as if you were already a customer and didn't like X wouldn't you just pick up your install disks and roll back? If you're looking for a negative you can always find one.

Good work Apple, either way.

ScoobyDoo555 03 September 2011 10:17 AM

Totally right Jack, I think it's more so the fact that new people coming to FCP wouldn't have had the option to roll back.

And at £800-odd, that's an expensive (relatively) mistake. At least Apple have recognised the "issue"

JackClark 03 September 2011 10:24 AM

True, true.

mike1210 03 September 2011 12:21 PM

My Uni will be happy with this, FCP X removed features that we needed and meant we would have to upgrade a lot of kit to work with it.

JackClark 03 September 2011 12:30 PM

Surely you just don't upgrade, or am I missing something?

mike1210 03 September 2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10217567)
Surely you just don't upgrade, or am I missing something?

Jack, we (my Uni) didn't buy FCP X as we realised they removed features we needed. We did however want FCS 3 for some new Mac labs but couldn't as Apple removed the product from listing. This means we have had to re-jig our labs a little. The cost to buy FCP X (and I think all our kit would have also needed to be upgraded) would be massive in these Uni budget cuts times.

A lot of places went up in arms about this.

JackClark 03 September 2011 12:55 PM

I see, thanks.

ScoobyDoo555 03 September 2011 01:03 PM

The issue wasn't as much the operational aspects of the software, but more so that for reasons only known to Apple, they didn't include compatibility with some of the Industry-standard hardware, including some high-end file extensions....

The fact that it was such a popular download is just testament that a great many people were looking forward to an "upgrade" in functionality, but sadly, this wasn't the case.

A rare "ball-drop" by Apple, but at least they've all but officially recognised this fact, and the digital media world will be happy again :)

TonyBurns 03 September 2011 07:17 PM

Yes apple recognised the fact that all those people spent a fortune on X and looks like they wont get a refund for it being "unfit for purpose", which basically it is (probably apple's marketing deciding that they wont have any compatability issues if its just not compatable with anything that's not apple :lol1: )
More than just a little clanger from apple, re release an older version of the software to cover.... like that solves the problem :rolleyes:

Makes a change from microsoft slating :lol1:

Tony:)