ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Strange whirring noise coming from timing belt area (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/903979-strange-whirring-noise-coming-from-timing-belt-area.html)

scooby1929 02 September 2011 08:56 PM

Strange whirring noise coming from timing belt area

About 6 months ago i had my timing belt changed but now I am getting a strange whirring noise from that area. It only happens when cold and when warmed up the noise disapears. Does anyone know what this could be??
Cars a hawk WRX

Thanks

Alan Jeffery 02 September 2011 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by scooby1929 (Post 10216903)
About 6 months ago i had my timing belt changed but now I am getting a strange whirring noise from that area. It only happens when cold and when warmed up the noise disapears. Does anyone know what this could be??
Cars a hawk WRX

Thanks

Check it out immediately! the result of not doing so could be very expensive.
Possible slack tensioner.

wrxsti280 02 September 2011 10:11 PM

Could possibly be power steering pump?? Although i would imagine that would be their whether hot or cold???

esi 02 September 2011 11:33 PM

100% your alternator, i had the same problem, just needs tightening, nothing to worry mate ;)

it might go away by itself though.

ALi-B 03 September 2011 12:19 AM

If its an ancillary it can be checked quite easily by removing all the belts and starting the engine. If its quiet, well there's your problem.

It could be the tension of the alternator/pas belts is too tight or loose (too tight will strain the bearings on the altenator/PAS pump making them noisy, too loose and the belt slips), same goes for the A/C compressor,.

If the noise remains it could be a cambelt idler pulleys, tensioner pulley or water pump, and will need looking at and fixing ASAP.

Pramas 03 September 2011 12:21 AM

personally id get it checked, cant be to carefull with these cars

scooby1929 03 September 2011 07:55 PM

Thanks for your responses guys

mickhowells 03 September 2011 08:32 PM

Like the guy above said take off the ancillary belts and run the car you belt could be too tight this would give you the whinning noise......

Alan Jeffery 03 September 2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by esi (Post 10217136)
100% your alternator, i had the same problem, just needs tightening, nothing to worry mate ;)

it might go away by itself though.

Well meaning, but a dangerous attitude.
Despite my long standing in the motor trade, I'd never dispense advice about noises without hearing them!
It could be the fan belt.
It could be the cam belt.
It might be a cat trapped in the undertray.
Check it out properly!

NINJA ED 03 September 2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery (Post 10218372)
Despite my long standing in the motor trade, I'd never dispense advice about noises without hearing them!
Check it out properly!

Good advice better to be safe than sorry :thumb:

JonMc 03 September 2011 09:57 PM

When I had my cambelt done it was the belt itself - the continental belt fitted was noisy, we changed the tensioner and the pulley the noise seemed to be coming from and in the ended fitted a dayco belt and the noise went away. Could easily be something as trivial but not worth the risk:thumb:

scooby1929 03 September 2011 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery (Post 10218372)
Check it out properly!

Totally agree with you Alan. Its going to get checked out on Monday morning. Thanks for the advice

scooby1929 14 September 2011 10:05 PM

Got this seen to today. There is a wee bracket that stops the timing belt from coming off and it was rubbing on the inside of the bracket. Belt was quite marked so new belt being fitting. Happy days

ALi-B 14 September 2011 10:17 PM

Quite common that, I've seen quite a few where its been set too tight and rubbed the belt. They should be gapped, can't remember the exact clearance off hand but it is mentioned in the workshop manuals (see archive section).

Having said that, its not uncommon to see scoobs without them fitted at all.....which is asking for the belt to jump a tooth on the overrun or during a fast gearchange or if hits the rev limiter etc..

Later models years also have them on the cam pulleys too.

scooby1929 15 September 2011 02:15 PM

The mechanic rang me there to say that the timing was also out ie the marks were not aligned correctly so the car would of not been running right