ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Space saver won't fit! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/903748-space-saver-wont-fit.html)

djsparra 01 September 2011 12:15 PM

Space saver won't fit!

I have a '97 WRX.

Ok so i got a puncture the other day, thought 'No probs, I'll put the space saver on and drive down to get it repaired', so I put it on and went to reverse of the drive and got a horrible noise like the brakes had jammed on. Then I thought ' Oh I upgraded my calipers, 4 pots front and 2 pots rear' turns out my space saver wont fit over the calipers and rubs against them (well more than rubs!!!!). I didn't even think about this senario when i did my brakes.:wonder::rolleyes:

I had to wait for the misses to come home and take the wheel down the garage in her motor. A lot of fcking about.

So the question is, What space saver/spare wheel can i get that will go over my calipers (Later model), or i was thinking just get a 5mm wheel spacer just for when i get a puncture?

What do you think guys?

Tidgy 01 September 2011 12:17 PM

thought they do go over 2 pot rear?

53 01 September 2011 12:19 PM

Remove rear wheel put on front, put space saver on rear. Or just get a newage STi space saver :)

djsparra 01 September 2011 12:21 PM

Well mine had standard single pot rears to start. so perhaps i need a space saver from an '03 reg or some thing cause that's what my rear calipers came off of. ??

djsparra 01 September 2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 53WRX (Post 10214446)
Remove rear wheel put on front, put space saver on rear. Or just get a newage STi space saver :)

The puncture was on the rear, that what the saver won't go over.

Tidgy 01 September 2011 12:22 PM

thats strange. does the type r have a special space saver then?

53 01 September 2011 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10214453)
thats strange. does the type r have a special space saver then?

Aye very :wonder: best get a newage STi spare, job done :)

IainMilford 01 September 2011 01:18 PM

or a can of tyre weld??

Scott@ScoobySpares 01 September 2011 03:10 PM

hi pal so the brakes went on fine as above just get a newage sti space saver they cover the brembo calipers so will cover your 4/2pots with ease got them here £15 plus £5 postage,,,also allows room for improvement lol

IainMilford 01 September 2011 04:57 PM

does anything cover 356mm 8pots??

BLU 01 September 2011 05:11 PM

Op I had the same. You need a space saver from a classic MY99/00 which have four pots as standard ;) They're deeper than the one you have currently!

burbling1 01 September 2011 11:27 PM

I had the same problem with my 95 wagon I'm guessing that your space saver is yellow which is for the 2 pot set up, you need a black one which is for the 4 pots. The tyre size on both are the same.

djsparra 02 September 2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by burbling1 (Post 10215682)
I had the same problem with my 95 wagon I'm guessing that your space saver is yellow which is for the 2 pot set up, you need a black one which is for the 4 pots. The tyre size on both are the same.

Actually mine is black.

djsparra 02 September 2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scott@ScoobySpares (Post 10214720)
hi pal so the brakes went on fine as above just get a newage sti space saver they cover the brembo calipers so will cover your 4/2pots with ease got them here £15 plus £5 postage,,,also allows room for improvement lol

Hi Scott, yeah they went on fine thanks, the rear pads haven't really bedded in yet, there is a about 8mm of disc in the center that the pad covers but I don't think the pad is touching the disc cause it keeps the surface rust on that little bit. I don't do alot of miles and perhaps i should bleed them again:wonder:. Plus 1 of the front pads rattles in the caliper over bumps. Other than that they're cool.

I'll take you up on that Saver though.:thumb: