ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   Tesco and ESSO ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/903556-tesco-and-esso.html)

Rally fan 555 30 August 2011 09:43 PM

Tesco and ESSO ?

Anyone know if TESCO has sold out to ESSO for the fuel ? Went to Glyneath TESCO to fill up on Diesel and it's now an ESSO run station. Is the same happenning to all TESCO filling Stations and will it be the end of 99 Ron fuel as I don;t think ESSO do one ............

duckdo 30 August 2011 09:48 PM

tesco express pertrol stations are run by esso i used to deal with them in my last job

Rally fan 555 30 August 2011 09:53 PM

Well didn't know that - there was a load of esso flags and stuff there the other night never noticed them before, thought it was a new thang !

redwards 30 August 2011 10:31 PM

Tesco Express in Gowerton also has Esso pumps on the forecourt. Used to be a Esso petrol station and then they built a Tesco Express on the site.

Ryan@Indigo-GT 31 August 2011 10:37 AM

Does anyone know just who supplies Tesco with Momentum 99? I'd heard from a mate who works for Aston Martin that apparently it's Shell, like a toned down version of V power?

Ti22 31 August 2011 02:16 PM

Momentum is deffinitely nothing to do with shell. I've got a mate whos a tanker driver, and he said optimax is the only one that comes out of a different tank, all the others are 95's with additives. Optimax is 'brewed' at 99 if you like!

Jimbob 31 August 2011 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ti22 (Post 10212846)
Momentum is deffinitely nothing to do with shell. I've got a mate whos a tanker driver, and he said optimax is the only one that comes out of a different tank, all the others are 95's with additives. Optimax is 'brewed' at 99 if you like!

Saying that I`ve heard that Tesco 99 is standard 95 into the tanker then a barrel of additives is added to it??

Just did a bit of looking around and Tesco own brand fuel is made by Greenergy.

Have just emailed them asking for a data sheet on their 99ron fuel lol.

Cannon Fodder 31 August 2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbob (Post 10212901)
Saying that I`ve heard that Tesco 99 is standard 95 into the tanker then a barrel of additives is added to it??

Just did a bit of looking around and Tesco own brand fuel is made by Greenergy.

Have just emailed them asking for a data sheet on their 99ron fuel lol.

I am pretty sure that Tesco Momentum is basically RON 95/97 with some bio ethanol or similar added to it (plus some other smaller constituent additives) in order to boost the octane rating.

Ryan@Indigo-GT 31 August 2011 03:16 PM

That Greenergy seem like a pretty decent article, there's a report on piston heads about their 99 ron fuel they produce for tesco

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=12400

Jimbob 31 August 2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10212919)
I am pretty sure that Tesco Momentum is basically RON 95/97 with some bio ethanol or similar added to it (plus some other smaller constituent additives) in order to boost the octane rating.

Have asked their press dept for a data sheet.
And also asked if its a 95 with additives, or a specially made 99.

Will see what they say if/when they reply.

drive 01 September 2011 02:38 PM

just spoke to a woman who runs 5 shell garages,and she's assured me tesco as a whole is supllied by esso,its there basic product no additives.

Rally fan 555 01 September 2011 05:24 PM

Essao don't do a 99 though do they ?

Jimbob 01 September 2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555 (Post 10214908)
Essao don't do a 99 though do they ?

Nope, and ALL Tesco fuel is made by Greenergy.

Scoober-Dubs 01 September 2011 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan@Indigo-GT (Post 10212927)
That Greenergy seem like a pretty decent article, there's a report on piston heads about their 99 ron fuel they produce for tesco

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=12400

It is interesting... Owned my scooby for 3 years now, used 97RON for the 1st 8 months and then moved to Momentum. The difference was really noticeable to me. When I had a decat & remap, the mechanic told me to change to BP ultimate before the mapper came down; so I ran the tank down and made the switch.

She felt like a shaddow of her former self, had the remap and ran with the new map for 100 miles or so, she warmed into the map but frankly I was expecting a bit more power.

One day I was on auto pilot and pulled into Tescos without thinking and filled her up. After a day or so she was back with vengence!!

Obviously everyone's gonna have an opinion on this as did my mechanic (and he does know his stuff) but it's Momentum all the way for me peeps.:thumb:

Cannon Fodder 01 September 2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbob (Post 10214914)

No it's not, perhaps the additives are supplied by Greenery (it is literally dropped into the tanker compartment before loading) - all the Tesco fuel in South Wales is supplied from the Texaco site in Cardiff Docks or it comes from the Avonmouth site. :)

I know as when I worked in Cardiff we used to service the tankers and tractor units for Wincanton/TDG. ;)

Jimbob 01 September 2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10214992)
No it's not, perhaps the additives are supplied by Greenery (it is literally dropped into the tanker compartment before loading) - all the Tesco fuel in South Wales is supplied from the Texaco site in Cardiff Docks or it comes from the Avonmouth site. :)

I know as when I worked in Cardiff we used to service the tankers and tractor units for Wincanton/TDG. ;)

Erm think you`ll find it is not.
The OLD Tesco 99 was made that way, the Momentum is different stuff hence the re-branding.

Originally Posted by Greenergy
We manufacture all of the petrol we supply to meet customer-specific quality specifications for both standard grade petrol (EN 228, 95 octane) and super-unleaded (BS 7800, 97 octane or above). We also manufacture and supply Tesco with their Momentum 99 petrol.

Data sheet for Tesco Momentum/Grenergy 99.
http://www.greenergy.com/Products_se...2011.08.10.pdf

Cannon Fodder 01 September 2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbob (Post 10214914)

Originally Posted by Jimbob (Post 10215015)
Erm think you`ll find it is not.
The OLD Tesco 99 was made that way, the Momentum is different stuff hence the re-branding.

Jimbob, read the above again - I can assure you that ALL non Momentum Tesco fuel comes from either of the two storage facilities I mentioned.

You will also see tankers filling up there from BP, Shell, Total to name but a few - the only difference is the additives that are added.

If you dispute what I say then park up at the east entrance to Cardiff docks and look at the tankers with their livery as the leave the fuel storage facility.

If Greenergy are supplying the Momentum then it must be stored separately at a storage facility and then transported separately to the forecourt, similar to Shell where they only have one refinery that produces V Power 99 SUL.