ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Location Of OBD-II Socket?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/903514-location-of-obd-ii-socket.html)

Lettuce 30 August 2011 04:49 PM

Location Of OBD-II Socket??

Where can the OBD-II socket be found on a 2004 WRX Sti??

brendy76 30 August 2011 04:51 PM

If it is the same as my bugeye its beneath the steering wheel on the plastic cover.

bengo 30 August 2011 04:52 PM

The socket is in the plastic casing under the steering rack.

Hth

Ben

Lettuce 30 August 2011 04:55 PM

cheers guys

Lettuce 30 August 2011 07:37 PM

I have the OT-2 OBD-II device is it ok to leave it plug in all the time, as the leds on it are constantly flashing just worried about it possibly draining the battery??

NINJA ED 30 August 2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lettuce (Post 10211750)
I have the OT-2 OBD-II device, is it ok to leave it plug in all the time, as the leds on it are constantly flashing just worried about it possibly draining the battery??

I wouldnt be leaving a diagnostic hooked up constantly m8 :eek: Diagnostic should only work when ignition on ( mine does anyway)unless like mine it has a battery back up:thumb:

Midlife...... 30 August 2011 08:09 PM

My SECS PSi3 OBD plug in ECU display is plugged in all the time, mind you it was designed that way :D

Shaun

Lettuce 30 August 2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by NINJA ED (Post 10211761)
I wouldnt be leaving a diagnostic hooked up constantly m8 :eek: Diagnostic should only work when ignition on ( mine does anyway)unless like mine it has a battery back up:thumb:

How come the device is getting power even when the ignition isnt turned on??

Well this is the thing is not just for diagnostic though as with used with programs such asLogworks or Dashcommand, it gives you break downs on mpg, miles travels in what gear etc. So is it bad idea to leave it plugged in all the time then?

NINJA ED 30 August 2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lettuce (Post 10211833)
Well this is the thing is not just for diagnostic though as with used with programs such asLogworks or Dashcommand, it gives you break downs on mpg, miles travels in what gear etc. So is it bad idea to leave it plugged in all the time then?

You will be fine in that case i wouldnt worry about it :thumb: I just seen obd 2 and thought yours was just a code reader. How does yours connect to plug under dash i wouldnt be able to leave mine plugged in as its to big and would just get in way.

NINJA ED 30 August 2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lettuce (Post 10211833)
How come the device is getting power even when the ignition isnt turned on??

Does yours have battery back up ?? Mine doesnt connect until ignition on as i take batterys out

brendy76 30 August 2011 08:29 PM

I leave my Scanguage plugged in at all times too, never had a problem in 6 months.

Shaun 30 August 2011 08:30 PM

You remove the OBD port plug from the under dash (it just pops out) and then you take the OBD lead (to your monitor) to behind the under dash. All plugged in and out of sight.

This is how you connect the SECS monitor etc. :)

NINJA ED 30 August 2011 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 10211854)
I leave my Scanguage plugged in at all times too, never had a problem in 6 months.

How big is your scangauge ?and where have you got it mounted no danger i could leave my autel plugged in all the time

NINJA ED 30 August 2011 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 10211856)
You remove the OBD port plug from the under dash (it just pops out) and then you take the OBD lead (to your monitor) to behind the under dash. All plugged in and out of sight.

This is how you connect the SECS monitor etc. :)

I see, still no danger you could do that with mine its like a brick :lol1:

Lettuce 30 August 2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by NINJA ED (Post 10211852)
Does yours have battery back up ?? Mine doesnt connect until ignition on as i take batterys out

Nah the Innovate Motorsports OT-2 doesnt have batteries, guess it draws power form the OBD2 port?? I have stuck velcro pads on the device and just stuck it on the opposite side to where the OBD2 socket is located under the steering column, so you can see it.

Just thought it weird that it still has a flashing LED on the device even when the ignition isnt on!?

NINJA ED 30 August 2011 08:47 PM

[QUOTE=Lettuce;10211879]Nah the Innovate Motorsports OT-2 doesnt have batteries, guess it draws power form the OBD2 port?? I have stuck velcro pads on the device and just stuck it on the opposite side to where the OBD2 socket is located under the steering column, so you can see it.

Just thought it weird that it still has a flashing LED on the device even when the ignition isnt on!?[/QUOTE

Is it not just a standby led or is the unit live when ignition off ?

brendy76 30 August 2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by NINJA ED (Post 10211859)
How big is your scangauge ?and where have you got it mounted no danger i could leave my autel plugged in all the time

I have it mounted on the silver panel that sits beside the cup holder on my bug. Using the velcro supplied with it at the moment with the cables hidden but intend to get a 3 way clock replacement dash pod and replace two of them with it and my boost gauge in the other.

NINJA ED 30 August 2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 10211937)
I have it mounted on the silver panel that sits beside the cup holder on my bug. Using the velcro supplied with it at the moment with the cables hidden but intend to get a 3 way clock replacement dash pod and replace two of them with it and my boost gauge in the other.

Mine has small lcd but the unit itself is quite big ive got no chance of leaving it in car take it your units quite small then ??

Lettuce 30 August 2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by NINJA ED (Post 10211893)

Originally Posted by Lettuce (Post 10211879)
Nah the Innovate Motorsports OT-2 doesnt have batteries, guess it draws power form the OBD2 port?? I have stuck velcro pads on the device and just stuck it on the opposite side to where the OBD2 socket is located under the steering column, so you can see it.

Just thought it weird that it still has a flashing LED on the device even when the ignition isnt on!?

Is it not just a standby led or is the unit live when ignition off ?

Nah its the LED for Power and then the flashing LED is marked MTS

bengo 30 August 2011 09:40 PM

My Tactrix 2 cable flashes when plugged in with the ignition off. The OBD2 port must be live all the time?

brendy76 30 August 2011 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by NINJA ED (Post 10211961)
Mine has small lcd but the unit itself is quite big ive got no chance of leaving it in car take it your units quite small then ??

It is fairly small yea, I'll take a pic in the morning.