ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   Sport cat - instant MOT fail? (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/902283-sport-cat-instant-mot-fail.html)

AWG 21 August 2011 08:18 PM

Sport cat - instant MOT fail?

MOT was the topic of conversation earlier when talking to a neighbor... They mentioned a sports cat on their car failed instantly.

Firstly is this true :eek: and secondly how do I get round it without replacing :norty: ?

Appreciate everybody's thoughts :confused:

joey_turbo 21 August 2011 08:25 PM

I was always under the impression that it diesn't matter weher it has a cat or not, if it passes the emmissions, thats all you need.

It was confirmed by my mates father in law, he has a V12 Jag 1995 model, with no cats, and it passed an MOT/emission test.

were you saying the MOT tester failed it purely for the reason it has a sports cat, or did I read that wrong?
Or if it failed on the emissions, I hear they need a good warm up?

AWG 21 August 2011 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by joey_turbo (Post 10197059)
I was always under the impression that it diesn't matter weher it has a cat or not, if it passes the emmissions, thats all you need.

It was confirmed by my mates father in law, he has a V12 Jag 1995 model, with no cats, and it passed an MOT/emission test.

were you saying the MOT tester failed it purely for the reason it has a sports cat, or did I read that wrong?
Or if it failed on the emissions, I hear they need a good warm up?

Sorry but yeah, he made it sound like having one fitted was a dead cert that it would fail on emmisions.

Nate 21 August 2011 08:47 PM

Well, if you are stuck, give me a shout, I know a place that can help ....... Well 2 or 3 actually :lol1:

AWG 21 August 2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nate (Post 10197109)
Well, if you are stuck, give me a shout, I know a place that can help ....... Well 2 or 3 actually :lol1:

That may be needed, maybe i'm worrying over nothing but would rather pay for one MOT than two!

Nate 21 August 2011 09:04 PM

Let me know nearer the time, most are based around the Southend area

AWG 21 August 2011 09:18 PM

Haha! due end of the month :lol1: Bet you're regretting that now :lol1:

Southend is fine, better than forking out for unnecessary parts!

L.J.F 21 August 2011 09:20 PM

Just take the car for a good blast just before the mot time and get the cat nice and hot that way it will perform properly and you should pass no problems:)

FLAT ERIC 21 August 2011 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by AWG_STi (Post 10197099)
Sorry but yeah, he made it sound like having one fitted was a dead cert that it would fail on emissions.

I would think from the outside a cat is a cat. Unless you dremelled it open to check how many "cells" it has there is no way of knowing if it is a sport cat or not.

What he may have meant is that a lot of cars with sports cats have failed the MOT. Unless the cat is knackered or poor quality it is nearly always due to them not being warmed up enough before the test. Like L.J.F says get it nice & hot & it will pass.

B0DSKI 22 August 2011 11:07 AM

Mine used to pass fine with a Prodrive sports cat. Mind you where mine goes now you don't need to worry ;)