ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Best PC Racing Game? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/90142-best-pc-racing-game.html)

GJD 24 April 2002 12:06 PM

Hi Folks

Can anyone recommend the best PC driving game. I've got a PS2 with all the best driving games so hopefully there's something that offers something different..

Also is it possible to use the Logitech steering wheel that comes bundled with GT3 on the PC? Are drivers available on the web?

Greg

jfrf 24 April 2002 12:12 PM

Colin mcrae 2 is decent
TOCA is aslo ok. Bit old thou
Also arcade version of outrun using
emulater on pc is good.

NumptyScrub 24 April 2002 12:28 PM

GJD,

The logitech wheel should work on a PC, that was half the point of the thing in the first place... :)

If you didn't get any driver disks with it, try Logitech for the current drivers. I'd look for a direct link for ya but I'm too lazy :p

Re: PC driving games, Colin McRae (series), Need for Speed (series) are supposed to be ok. Don't play them myself, I stick with GT3 on the PS2... :D

Derek

DavidRB 24 April 2002 01:11 PM

If you can find it, Grand Prix Legends by Papyrus/Sierra will teach you how little you know. ;) Other than that, wait & see what Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 will be like.

MarkJackon 24 April 2002 01:18 PM

Porsche 2000/Unleashed has good graphics and plays ok, however I wouldnt buy a Porsche based on the handling !

There is nothing to touch GT3 on ANY other format, Project Gotham on the Xbox is pants, have tried all the pc games and their mainly crap, even Mcrae 2 is only average compared to GT3. Burnout on the PS2 is average with nice crashes (gets boring), GTA3 is cool but not really a proper driving game. The Grand Prix games on the PC are good (1 and 2 hit the spot, 3 missed it and 4 is on the way)

I suppose Grand Prix Legends is ok but very tricky, nice feeling of speed and authentically unruly handling but very old fashoined looking but that doesnt stop me, gameplay above everything else.

Toca race driver is on the way and may be the answer and there were rumours of GT3 on the PC but they have been denied.

GJD 24 April 2002 01:37 PM

Thanks Guys. Are any of the PC rally games worth getting (I played CMR2 to death on the PS1 so probably won't buy it again, although it looks much prettier!)?

Greg

XRS 24 April 2002 01:58 PM

Greg,

Save yourself a few bob and get Sports Car GT. It may be a few years old, but it is brilliant. Plus there is an active community creating new cars and tracks.

Shouldn't cost you more than a fiver.

:)

bumcrack 24 April 2002 04:00 PM

I liked Rally Extreme(really good graphic's) and also Eracer is a good laugh.

rik1471 24 April 2002 04:16 PM

Gran Turismo 3 is pretty good on the PC.

Dirty_Den 24 April 2002 04:36 PM

Grand Prix Legends is available from amazon.co.uk for a fiver...

Den

snowcrash 24 April 2002 04:41 PM

Rally Masters is V.Good (more arcadey than C.McRae2)

Shaun 24 April 2002 10:29 PM

Rally Trophy is THE BEST rally game on the PC.

If you know anything about realism and dynamics, you will understand why.

Regards,
Shaun.

HGV1 Driver 24 April 2002 10:48 PM

I agree with XRS sports car G.T. is good with extra patches from 3.D. gamers, also Rally Championship when you get through the early stages and get hold of the Subaru and Mitsibushi.

Jon

dowser 25 April 2002 08:25 AM

GPL for circuit, Rally Trophy for everything else. But do you want a simulation game, or an arcade one? ;)

Richard

BuRR 25 April 2002 08:53 AM

Try an ACT-LABS wheel. Absolute CLASS, and they have clutch and full 6-speed gearstick support! They even have a custom gearplate for Grand Prix Legends.

GJD 25 April 2002 07:51 PM

Thanks chaps, picked up Rally Trophy for a tenner and Return to Castle Wolfenstein for £15 today. Now to get the PS2 Logitech steering wheel to work!

velryba 27 April 2002 02:28 PM

if you want to play online I've found the Insane as one of the best.
good graphics and accelaration and lotsa ppl to play.
U just cannot compare the play against ppl over the net and against comp. ;)