ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Stock markets. How low this time? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/899883-stock-markets-how-low-this-time.html)

Chip 04 August 2011 08:04 PM

Stock markets. How low this time?

With the Dow Jones index down over 10% in recent days and the FTSE 100 down over 10% as well how much lower do you think the markets are going to fall or is it that the European debt crisis has just spooked the market. Hopefully it will recover soon when things settle down. I wish I'd put my money in gold now, but there you are, hindsight is a wonderful thing.:)

Chip

GlesgaKiss 04 August 2011 08:13 PM

It's not just the Euro debt crisis, it's worries over the U.S. too. Would really just be guessing at predicting so I won't bother. :)

jods 04 August 2011 08:55 PM

Lost over 4 large in the last few days on investments :(

Chip 04 August 2011 08:57 PM

Over 10 here . Still it's happened before and it will happen again. Just have to sit tight I guess.

Chip

Moley 04 August 2011 08:59 PM

Guy at work is £16k down.

My shares have halved this week. Fortunately i didn't have much invested.

dpb 04 August 2011 09:06 PM

over 5k down presently , only 2k less than iv made over the last year eek ( off 30k )

Chip 04 August 2011 09:09 PM

Dow down over 500 points today :( :(

GlesgaKiss 04 August 2011 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jods (Post 10169503)
Lost over 4 large in the last few days on investments :(

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX (Post 10169512)
Guy at work is £16k down.

My shares have halved this week. Fortunately i didn't have much invested.

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10169531)
over 5k down presently , only 2k less than iv made over the last year eek

When you say lost, do you mean actually lost, or wiped off the value of your portfolio?

From things I've seen you post before, Chip, I presume the latter in your case?

Chip 04 August 2011 09:12 PM

Glas, yeah I suppose your right but try telling the Mrs that. :D

Chip

dpb 04 August 2011 09:13 PM

Not sold YET :lol1:

Moley 04 August 2011 09:14 PM

Wiped off value. I'm still up technically.

Chip 04 August 2011 09:18 PM

Bought £20k of Vodafone two weeks ago , still up 7% on those so something to smile about I suppose:)

Chip

GlesgaKiss 04 August 2011 09:24 PM

I've bought stuff recently too. Standard life, more Robert Wiseman and some agricultural commodity ETFs. I'll just ride it out. :cool: Although if stocks keep declining and the agri ETFs I've just bought break even, I'd perhaps sell them and buy a good divi paying stock like BAE. Down to 270 today... I was going to buy it at £3 a few weeks ago.

GlesgaKiss 04 August 2011 09:25 PM

I bought £4k of Vodafone a few weeks ago too.

Chip 04 August 2011 09:31 PM

I too bought for the divi , bought a few k in Chesnara for the div as well. :(

GlesgaKiss 04 August 2011 09:36 PM

Was looking at Chesnara too funnily enough. A company called Chaucer that I had shares in was bought by a private firm so I was looking for a similar mid cap with a good yield. Chaucer had something like a 9% yield for the price I paid. Would rather have kept it than had the money from the sale to be honest!

Chip 04 August 2011 09:44 PM

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few days though I think (hope) it will all settle down and the strength of the healthy companies will show through.

Chip

paulr 04 August 2011 09:50 PM

I put 100k into HSBC at the bottom of the banking crisis. Have made 42k in two years. Sold them last week and put it all in BP.

I wish.................

lozgti1 04 August 2011 10:07 PM

Gordon Brown,worst pollitician ever to walk this earth.

And yes,do blame him and those that have allowed Europe/the world to be in this situation

Trout 04 August 2011 11:04 PM

If you are sitting tight in equities then I hope you are young...

killa 05 August 2011 01:34 AM

It's not looking good on the far east, makets have taken a 4% drop roughly.

Let see what happens with Italy

Trout what do you advise for us young chaps? invest or save?

FTSE 100 has had approx 50 BILLION WIPED....

f1_fan 05 August 2011 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 10169687)
Gordon Brown,worst pollitician ever to walk this earth.

And yes,do blame him and those that have allowed Europe/the world to be in this situation

As much as Gordon Brown is/was a bad politician he is just a minnow in the causes and resultant problems of the GLOBAL financial crisis.

As soon as people realise that much of what is happening is not in wany under the control of ANY UK government the better.

This is a global issue and the Tories can't sort it out any more than Labour can/could, in fact they seem to be ignoring the whole situation for the most part.

f1_fan 05 August 2011 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by killa (Post 10170028)

It hit 3800 in 2008 and if you had bought then and sold two weeks ago you would have made a killing.

The art is working out when the nadir has been reached.

velohead66 05 August 2011 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10170040)
The art is working out when the nadir has been reached.

nadir as in zenith ?

Or after Asil Nadir (Polly Peck), LOL.

lozgti1 05 August 2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10170039)
As much as Gordon Brown is/was a bad politician he is just a minnow in the causes and resultant problems of the GLOBAL financial crisis.

As soon as people realise that much of what is happening is not in wany under the control of ANY UK government the better.

This is a global issue and the Tories can't sort it out any more than Labour can/could, in fact they seem to be ignoring the whole situation for the most part.

The second two paragraphs I agree with,the first i don't.

As far as I am concerned a world was created where people thought they were rich,banks went mad and behaved very badly,Gordon Brown and others actually encouraged it and now we are all suffering be it people or countries,stock markets,whatever:(

DJ_Jon 05 August 2011 06:27 AM

Cashed in my investment last week, just before the Market shat itself. Best decision evAr.

Trout 05 August 2011 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by killa (Post 10170028)

BRIC economy investments

If you have a lot of money try Canadian dollars, NZ dollars. Probably avoid the Swissie as it looks 50% over value. Sterling bonds for a long play.

Short in the current market - play well and make a fortune.

billythekid 05 August 2011 09:36 AM

Not looking too clever though... I dont think we have seen anything yet!

Butkus 05 August 2011 12:03 PM

To those people who are holding quite large numbers of various shares, do you have any kind of plan as to what you will do with them? I mean, do you have stops in place where you will exit if they go down too far, or targets in place if they hit a certain price?

It seems to me that a lot of people just buy a big chunk of something with the expectation that "they always go up eventually", but beyond that don't really have a plan.

alloy 05 August 2011 12:20 PM

Pretty lairy trading! The market today has had intraday swings that total 10.4% movement! This to me signals a huge fight between bears and bulls as they potentially try and thrash out an equilibrium (bottom)....at least for the near term.

Non-farm payrolls number in just over an hour....always a crucial figure, however today a good number probably stabilises markets and will allow them to consolidate, a bad number and off we go again through todays floor and probably more....