ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   knocking on let hand side of the engine turbo 2000 w reg (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/899833-knocking-on-let-hand-side-of-the-engine-turbo-2000-w-reg.html)

leescoobwrc 04 August 2011 01:30 PM

knocking on let hand side of the engine turbo 2000 w reg

hi,

just got my 2nd impreza, and this one seems to running slightly rough. first thing i did was change the oil, as the one in it was like tar! but before i did this i noticed a slight knocking on the drivers drive of the engine, sounds like its coming from the head.......... any ideas??? ive looked online, some suggest spark plugs, or piston slap?? its not a loud knocking, i think because the car is standard (i mean completely standard) the noise seems more noticeable i have my old turbo back exhaust to put back on it, but want to know what this knocking could be first......... any ideas???

cheers

scoobyhyp 04 August 2011 01:48 PM

does the noise get quieter when its warm ??

leescoobwrc 04 August 2011 01:51 PM

Yeah slightly, and its ticking too, but I've been told that's the boost solenoid is that right too??

scoobyhyp 04 August 2011 02:10 PM

doesn`t sound right about the boost i`ve never heard that ?? could be piston slap thats what mine sounds like from cold it ticks and rattles a bit untill warm then when its hot no noise at all !!

Turbotits 04 August 2011 02:22 PM

Ticking is probably the injectors which is normal

leescoobwrc 04 August 2011 02:29 PM

Quality about the ticking, it does go quieter when warm I was hoping for piston slap because I didn't want a new engine just yet!! What about the pulleys? If the bearings are gone would that cause the knocking?

leescoobwrc 04 August 2011 02:37 PM

Also will piston slap kill the engine?? Is there anything that can remedy it??

scoobyhyp 04 August 2011 03:01 PM

not a knocking noise just a dry joint squeal if anything !
to remedy piston slap REBUILD ....... SIMPLES .......

merlin24 04 August 2011 06:32 PM

Could be some of the above suggestions or :

Cam belt tensioner can knock when worn.
Front pulley loose/keyway worn.

Mick

leescoobwrc 05 August 2011 01:05 PM

Right thank you for the suggestions boys, I've changed the oil this morning, there were metal shavings in the sump! Now never seen this before, is this normal???? Hope its nothing more than the piston slap or the pully/tensioner.......

rob84 05 August 2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by leescoobwrc (Post 10170608)
Right thank you for the suggestions boys, I've changed the oil this morning, there were metal shavings in the sump! Now never seen this before, is this normal???? Hope its nothing more than the piston slap or the pully/tensioner.......

Thats bad news if theres metal particles in the sump.:cry: Engine out time and inspect

leescoobwrc 05 August 2011 01:25 PM

I mean little bits of metal stuck to the sump plug....... Still take out an rebuild?? :(:(:(

rob84 05 August 2011 01:56 PM

could you post up pictures of the metal thats come out of the sump. ?

leescoobwrc 05 August 2011 03:33 PM

Ive disposed of them now, they were tiny little pieces a lot just rubbed away in to your fingers

jameswrx 05 August 2011 04:02 PM

Run the engine, turn off and dip the oil. Check it under good light and look for any mettalic particals sparkling away (quite a good chance to see them if your fresh oil from change is clean)

It might be that you've got a big end bearing gone.

tjmatt 05 August 2011 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by jameswrx (Post 10170926)
Run the engine, turn off and dip the oil. Check it under good light and look for any mettalic particals sparkling away (quite a good chance to see them if your fresh oil from change is clean)

It might be that you've got a big end bearing gone.

+1

I would imagine the failure was either caused by, or intentionally temporarily covered up by "tar like" oil.

leescoobwrc 09 August 2011 12:52 PM

Right checked the oil, nothing. When I got the car it hadn't been serviced for a long time, infact it took bloody ages take the filter off it was that tight! The oil was like tar........ Any other suggestions??

leescoobwrc 25 August 2011 04:18 PM

right a link to a video ive put on you tube need your help boys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nL-KklM2z8

what you think??????????????????? dont wanna take it off the road at the min sold all my other cars :)