ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Diesel smoke (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/899627-diesel-smoke.html)

rescc 02 August 2011 09:57 PM

Diesel smoke

Hi

Had my MY08 Outback diesel for 3 years now and for a while at startup on a morning I occasionally get lots of light gray/white smoke out the back. It's not every day. I also get a fair amount of dark smoke under hard acceleration.

I read somewhere that the dark smoke might be the engine running rich.

Would and ECU reset help do you think ?

Other than that the cars running fine, got about 31000 miles on it.

Cheers for any help

rob84 02 August 2011 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by rescc (Post 10166307)
Hi

Had my MY08 Outback diesel for 3 years now and for a while at startup on a morning I occasionally get lots of light gray/white smoke out the back. It's not every day. I also get a fair amount of dark smoke under hard acceleration.

I read somewhere that the dark smoke might be the engine running rich.

Would and ECU reset help do you think ?

Other than that the cars running fine, got about 31000 miles on it.

Cheers for any help

Hi mate,

it's the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Unit sticking on your vehicle.

There is a rework for this issue which should be covered under warrenty if your still in the 3 years or 5 if you took out extended.

the Kit involves fitting a new egr valve assy and recalibrating the fuel injection system.

1. Purpose
There is a possibility that EGR valve is stuck due to the adhesion of deposit around the shaft and bush of
the EGR valve. Therefore, we release a new EGR valve to prevent deposit from getting in between the
bush and shaft.

New part information
Part number: 14710AA741

rescc 03 August 2011 08:52 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I did take it into the main dealer and have mentioned it. The response I got was "lots of diesels smoke under acceleration".....The car is now out of warranty... i can have another discussion with them...

tush

bigredrob 03 August 2011 09:47 AM

HI, I have a freelander, bmw 2 litre diesel, one of the first mods to do on it it was to remove/bypass the egr, gives approx 10BHP/10% more power, plus improved throttle response and about 4 mpg more, is this possible on your motor?

rescc 03 August 2011 11:25 AM

ouch, out of warranty and over £350 for part alone.........

rob84 03 August 2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by bigredrob (Post 10166839)
HI, I have a freelander, bmw 2 litre diesel, one of the first mods to do on it it was to remove/bypass the egr, gives approx 10BHP/10% more power, plus improved throttle response and about 4 mpg more, is this possible on your motor?

Not Possible unfortunately as the EGR system knows if there is a pressure drop between the entry and exit points along with other items.

How far out of warranty are you/What mileage are you on and do you have a full main dealer service history, if your not far out of warranty your dealer can submit for a gesture of goodwill claim due to the fact you have mentioned this problem before. The worst subaru can say is No, Its worth a try mate:thumb:

rescc 03 August 2011 01:11 PM

Thanks to the Rob's on this thread. I did and they agreed......will be going in next week.

thanks for all you advice:luxhello:

rob84 03 August 2011 03:36 PM

No worries mate, Glad your getting sorted:thumb: