ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Glaswegian and Brummy accents 'sound more stupid' (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/899421-glaswegian-and-brummy-accents-sound-more-stupid.html)

22BUK 01 August 2011 05:42 PM

Glaswegian and Brummy accents 'sound more stupid'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...re-stupid.html

ALi-B 01 August 2011 06:50 PM

.....Says the ozzy journalist and researcher who was educated at a scouser's university :lol1:

Personally I find the Kathy Burke type accent the most retarded sounding IMHO...especially in a expat bar in Benidorm.

J4CKO 01 August 2011 06:55 PM

That's "Brummie" is it not ?

andythejock01wrx 01 August 2011 09:08 PM

I quite like Brummie & Weegie accents. It's the gangsta rappa tones I can't abide!

g7prs 01 August 2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 10164517)
I quite like Brummie & Weegie accents. It's the gangsta rappa tones I can't abide!

Fit aboot the sheepshaggers and deepest darkest fife :lol1:

what would scooby do 01 August 2011 09:25 PM

some sarf london and essex accents (North of and including Romford) sound just as bad

dis is my braaaaaaaaaaaava, and my faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaava, and my maaaaaaaaaaaavaaaaa

CREWJ 01 August 2011 09:29 PM

:lol:

And I thought us Welsh sound stupid.

what would scooby do 01 August 2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CREWJ (Post 10164563)

I actually like watching welsh tv coverage of football and rugby..

*noise**noise* *noise* *noise* off side *noise* *noise* *noise* *noise*

*noise* *noise* *noise* *noise* and he works part time for Costco *noise* *noise* *noise* *noise*

:D

It's a great mix of welsh and modern english that the language has no equivalent for..

Oh and welsh girls accents.. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :thumb:

CREWJ 01 August 2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 10164580)
I actually like watching welsh tv coverage of football and rugby..

*noise**noise* *noise* *noise* off side *noise* *noise* *noise* *noise*

*noise* *noise* *noise* *noise* and he works part time for Costco *noise* *noise* *noise* *noise*

It's a great mix of welsh and modern english that the language has no equivalent for..

Oh and welsh girls accents.. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :thumb:

I understand parts of it which is worse!

DYK 01 August 2011 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 10164255)
.....Says the ozzy journalist and researcher who was educated at a scouser's university :lol1:

Personally I find the Kathy Burke type accent the most retarded sounding IMHO...especially in a expat bar in Benidorm.

you would think these researchers would actually go into Brum and know that not the whole of Birmingham talk Black Country..

Mrfastbaz 02 August 2011 07:55 AM

there is brummie and there is yam yam which is the black country area...wolverhampton area and over that way ....so anyway wots wrong with brummie the worst accent has got to be pidgeon english ......

TelBoy 02 August 2011 09:19 AM

Whatever a pidgeon is??? :rolleyes:

Glaswegian doesn't sound "stupid" to me. Not when you've got Scouse to compare it against, anyway :lol1:

Will 02 August 2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by CREWJ (Post 10164563)

Speak for your self, you homo!!

CREWJ 02 August 2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Will (Post 10164997)
Speak for your self, you homo!!

You know you love it :razz:

ALi-B 02 August 2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mrfastbaz (Post 10164909)
there is brummie and there is yam yam which is the black country area...wolverhampton area and over that way ....so anyway wots wrong with brummie the worst accent has got to be pidgeon english ......

That's the way we sez it rand 'ere, Tel. :D ;)

Just to add; Black country accents also varies from area to area. Wolverhamtom (historically not in BC in by the way) tends to be a hybrid Brummy/Walsall BC accent, whereas more towards Dudley its more purer. But even round there it varies as a Tipton accent can differ from a Cradley accent, same with Brierley towards the glass making areas (as opposed to the chain mekkers :) ). Then further south the accent changes again where we get Worcestershire accents mixed in (i.e they talk posher with less use of local dialect :lol1: ).

Also note we have dialect (which inludes invention of vocabulary specific to the area) as well as the accent. Now from my experience Brummies don't tend to use dialect as much, they just talk with an accent (well, these days at least). Whereas in parts of the Back Country, traditional dialect is still alive and kicking (just about, as the kids try and talk wannabe rappa/gangsta' ).

Best is a Bangladeshi speaking full on Black Country dialect with an asian accent. Thats 'real' multicultural Britain for you :thumb:

Leslie 02 August 2011 10:45 AM

Holiday makers make the mistake of thinking the same about the Devon accent.

They don't realise that even if a Devonian speaks slowly, he thinks fast!

Les ;)