ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   E85 and v max - what's ron ratings and which is best? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/899220-e85-and-v-max-whats-ron-ratings-and-which-is-best.html)

swisstonihasher 31 July 2011 09:00 AM

E85 and v max - what's ron ratings and which is best?

E85 and v max - what's ron ratings and which is best? Can E85 be used with methanol or is it basically methanol?:wonder:

juggers 16 August 2011 02:28 AM

I would also like to know this?

MarkCSC 16 August 2011 11:41 AM

E85 is ethanol and petrol (85% ethanol hence E85). RON is 105 but has lower calarific value than normal petrol. Normally cars have to be specially designed to run pure E85 as it is corrosive (not sure about scoobs). The same applies to methanol. Some people have safely run a meth mix. Do a search on here

VMax? If you mean shell V-Power that's 99RON

dynamix 17 August 2011 08:18 AM

E85 is 109 ron

Methanol is wood alcohol and is a different beast altogether - I wouldnt mix them together.

Cars need to be mapped to run on E85 or Methanol mixes as the amount of fuel needed is greater due to the calorific values of the fuel. They work great though.

There was a huge thread on here a while back that I started about E85. I love it and have been using it in my car for the past 3 years.

WMS 17 August 2011 12:52 PM

Take a look at the Williams Motorsport/Enginemapper thread in the projects section. We have just tested a mildly tuned WRX with a 20% meth mix, have a read for more info.

Bicco 17 August 2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 10189604)
E85 is 109 ron

Methanol is wood alcohol and is a different beast altogether - I wouldnt mix them together.

Cars need to be mapped to run on E85 or Methanol mixes as the amount of fuel needed is greater due to the calorific values of the fuel. They work great though.

There was a huge thread on here a while back that I started about E85. I love it and have been using it in my car for the past 3 years.

Didn`t realise you were still running it, do you source from Anglo American oils?

I`m considering swapping to 15% Meth after my next map, mainly just because of ease and price of supply since morrisons stoped it at the pumps.

dynamix 18 August 2011 08:07 AM

Bicco - I have my own limited source of E85, I have run the Anglo American fuels version but it is very expensive.

20% meth is the magic number from my experience and from trialing varying mixes (and it is also easier to work out ;) )

fpan 23 August 2011 10:48 AM

Duncan, are there any side effects or driveability issues (e.g. poor idling or driveability when the engine is cold) in using E85 (100%)?
I am thinking of having my car mapped for it.
With a standard turbo (VF41) how much bigger injectors would you need (OE ones are 550cc AFAIK).
The car is a 2006 FSTi.
I am not looking to get more horsepower or torque (if it happens - welcome) but from economic purposes it makes sense (available at some pumps in Germany and costs 60% less than RON98!)
The other question is if I fit bigger injectors, would the car run fine on RON98 with them?
I would obviously have the car mapped with Ecutek Racerom and dual maps.
Are you using 100% E85 or a % mix with petrol?
Thanks.

dynamix 23 August 2011 11:07 AM

Not seen any issues with mine running purely 100% E85 for the past year or so and mostly 100% E85 for the previous year.

Starts fine, idles smooth at 1000rpm even with big cams and 1600cc injectors.

To run 100% you need to allow that it wqill use 35 ish% more fuel.

fpan 23 August 2011 02:11 PM

Thanks Duncan.
What about injector size?
A friend's standard FSTi runs 85% injector duty cycle, I think the original injectors are 550cc, what would be needed in order for the car to be mapped on pure E85?

dynamix 23 August 2011 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 10200064)
Thanks Duncan.
What about injector size?
A friend's standard FSTi runs 85% injector duty cycle, I think the original injectors are 550cc, what would be needed in order for the car to be mapped on pure E85?

Bigger injectors or more fuel pressure :thumb: