ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Oakley experts, couple of questions. Oakley Juliet X Metal. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/897662-oakley-experts-couple-of-questions-oakley-juliet-x-metal.html)

Rob_Impreza99 19 July 2011 01:49 PM

Oakley experts, couple of questions. Oakley Juliet X Metal.

Does anyone on eher own a pair of Oakley Juliet X Metal sunglasses ?

First question, how easy is it to tell if what you have bought are a genuine pair of Oakley Juliet sunglasses ?

Second question, where the main frame on the Oakley Juliet meets the bridge the actual metal nose piece is held firm by a rivet, is it normal on this model to have some play and movement around the bridge area where the rivet is ?

markr1963 19 July 2011 02:11 PM

I can't really help with the first question though I'm as sure as I can be that mine are genuine. Yep, got a fair bit of movement in mine too.

BULLITT 19 July 2011 04:38 PM

It's rare to see fake metal frame Oakleys as reproduction costs would be too high, especially with some of the complex metal work design like on Juliets etc. You tend to find the fake Oakleys are of the plastic sports type range, usually ones of the simplest shape.

I've just bought a pair of Oakley Squared Whisker with polarised lenses, one thing I did notice is the name printed in very small lettering on the inside edge of the ear piece arm, never seen this done on the fake ones but its also not something that's on my other pair of Oakleys (Oakley Valves) which definitely genuine so must be something only done on metal frames.

BTW anyone interested in a pair of Oakleys, get yourself up to McArthur Glen Factory Outlet in York, the whole place is having a big sale on including the Oakley Store, I bought mine which should be a £230 pair for £120 and includes the usual 12month warranty etc.

howellsy42 19 July 2011 05:33 PM

i have a pair of these got them in usa on the nose bit there are little gaskets that are riveted in that keep them firm but they dont last long and oakley can replace them for free if you can prove where you got them from if not its £25 i love mine but are 8month old rotti puppy loved them to and chewed them up they did servive but need the lenses replacing

scunnered 19 July 2011 06:43 PM

As said above there's a bit of play. I think it's to do with being a comfortable fit. That's how I see it anyway.
Have a look at the lens, you should see a small Oakley logo. A fake would probably not have that.

DYK 19 July 2011 07:22 PM

All my Oakley's have made in U.S.A stamped/embossed into the inside of the frames arm,so genuine ones won't have made in any other country except the USA,and if you run your thumb along the lettering you will be able to feel the letters,metal frames will have it painted on though.Was something about the Oakley O letter on the frame arms.It should be a raised letter of the O,like on my whisker ones the O is separately stuck/glued on its never printed or painted onto the frames.

Probably do a search on the net to find out more.

Simon C 19 July 2011 07:37 PM

I can't find any distiguishing marks on my Juliets (bought from an Oakley shop). There is some play in the vertical plane on the riviets on the nose bright so the frame can be squeezed lightly to give a tighter fit.

My Penny's had a serial number on the left hand arm, but no such thing on the Juliets I'm afraid.

DYK 19 July 2011 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 10144163)
I can't find any distiguishing marks on my Juliets (bought from an Oakley shop). There is some play in the vertical plane on the riviets on the nose bright so the frame can be squeezed lightly to give a tighter fit.

My Penny's had a serial number on the left hand arm, but no such thing on the Juliets I'm afraid.

If you have two rivets in the nose bridge,they are genuine most likely and if you see rivets at the bottom of the frames,fakes don't have that,i'm sure the juliets are the x metal frames...

BULLITT 19 July 2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10144199)
,i'm sure the juliets are the x metal frames...

yep they are :thumb:

Simon C 19 July 2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10144199)
If you have two rivets in the nose bridge,they are genuine most likely and if you see rivets at the bottom of the frames,fakes don't have that,i'm sure the juliets are the x metal frames...

Yup, rivets on the nose bridge, torx screws on the bottom of the frames and arms.

Although I know the lenses are fake, cos I put them in a few months ago! I took the originals out as they were non polarized, and the fakes I bought from the USA (about £40) were polarized. Perfect fit though.

DYK 19 July 2011 08:48 PM

hehe

Just bought a pair of the Pitbull to add to my collection.:cool:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/c...M_oUTIbzOg3Ffl

Rob_Impreza99 20 July 2011 03:05 PM

From what people have said on here and from some google research i did the Oakley Juliet X Frame ones i recieved appear to be genuine, everything seems as it should be.

Only prob is i bought them off ebay and the seller said the frames were mint but one lens had a tiny scratch, the actual scratch is more long a long deep scratch which on appearance looks like a crack.

That didn't bother me as i was going to change the lenses anyway to polarised ones and the price was a good price that he sold them for, only prob is the frame isn't mint, it has a flat spot/dent on the top of the frame so he'll be getting them back.

They are very comfy to wear, only thing thats a bit dissapoingting is the nose piece which is metal looks cheap the way its been designed as its held on by a couple of rivets that look cheap and tacky, for the price that oakley ask for the Juliet sunglasses i'd have expected a better quality finish in that area that feels a lot stronger and solid as the bridge moves around due to those cheap looking rivets.

Rob_Impreza99 01 August 2011 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BULLITT (Post 10143851)
It's rare to see fake metal frame Oakleys as reproduction costs would be too high, especially with some of the complex metal work design like on Juliets etc. You tend to find the fake Oakleys are of the plastic sports type range, usually ones of the simplest shape.

Bullitt

Looks like the chinese have now started to make Oakley Juliet look alikes in metal, the first ones look a bit ropey around the bridge as they have rivets on the outside where as the genuine ones don't have rivets on the outside of the bridge.

The chinese obviously have metal casts now, i'd expect over time that the bridge will improve and the quality. Its hard to tell from internet pics if they look as ropey as sin or not but the basis of the shape is there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x100s-Sung...item2a12b05be4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x100s-Sung...item2a12ae14fd

I came across them when looking for a pair of genuine oakley replacement polarized lenses.

BULLITT 01 August 2011 05:12 PM

Ah i see, well spotted, They do look quite ropey tbh. Anyone with an ounce of common sense will hopefully notice that they are simply just too cheap to be genuine Oakleys.

The 'O' logo on the arms is totally wrong. Genuine ones, as you'll see on your pair, have a separate 'O' that fits in the hole. The fakes just have a hole.

I don't think Oakley's have ever made a chrome frame either lol.

ilogikal1 01 August 2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BULLITT (Post 10164129)
I don't think Oakley's have ever made a chrome frame either lol.

Oh but they have :D

Okay, so they're a completely different model, but still... :lol1:

BULLITT 01 August 2011 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ilogikal1 (Post 10164279)
Oh but they have :D

Okay, so they're a completely different model, but still... :lol1:

In my defence I did say "I don't think..." lol

Markfla1 18 April 2018 06:09 PM

Arm RHS wanted for Pitbull Oakleys

I have lost my RHS arm to my Pitbull Oakleys and looking for a replacement.
Any help or advice is welcome.
Mark

dpb 18 April 2018 06:41 PM

I ditched a pair wayfarers cos the screw came out and arm went ,somewhere

didnt occur might be able source spare arm :(

had em 20 years too

stevebt 22 April 2018 03:27 PM

I think after all this time Rob has probably bought different sunglasses by now ;)