ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Anyone fitted an RCM fuel pump? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/897207-anyone-fitted-an-rcm-fuel-pump.html)

"Taylor" 16 July 2011 09:07 AM

Anyone fitted an RCM fuel pump?

1 Attachment(s)
Fitting one to my 99 Type R at the mo and unlike the standard pump and the Walbro pump, it doesn't seem to come with any rubber foot / rubber base plate to sit it in? Can anyone who's fitted one shed some light?

See in the picture below, standard on left, walbro on right, both pumps sit on a rubber "Foot" where they meet the bottom of the cage. The RCM kit doesn't seem to have one and doesn't line up with the standard one :wonder:

Attachment 67384

jameswrx 16 July 2011 09:18 AM

What's a rcm fuel pump? Who makes it?

Have you contacted them? It might be that it should have the rubber part but it's missing.

"Taylor" 16 July 2011 09:22 AM

Roger Clark Motorsport, not given them a call yet, thought i'd ask on here first as hopefully a few have fitted them. :)

jameswrx 16 July 2011 09:32 AM

I know what rcm stands for, I meant who manufactures it for them? Suely they don't actually make them?

I might have something kicking about. I'll have a look but see how you get on with rcm. Is it the same end as a walbro?

To be honest you could prob cut up the std rubber end to make it fit and then zip tie the pump on.

Terminator X 16 July 2011 09:37 AM

I have a "RCM" oil catch can albeit no RCM logo ;) exactly the same just with no sticker!

TX.

"Taylor" 16 July 2011 09:45 AM

Cheers for the reply James. Not got a clue who manufactures them as there's no marking to say on the pump and it comes in their own packaging. There is a rubber sleeve to cover the pump and a kind of rubber boot (which may have just been to protect the end while packaged), but i'm not 100% convinced. Just a shame ther isn't any instructions with it as all i would need is a final image of the assembly before it goes back into the tank to make sure its seated correctly.
Can't find anything on here under the search function as most people use Walbro's. Was hoping for a quick answer on here from someone who'd fitted one, just to clarify.

Midlife...... 16 July 2011 10:01 AM

I thought RCMS fuel pumps were more for BIG power applications and were not meant as direct replacements for OEM items........You havn't posted a pic of the RCM one :D

Shaun

Cannon Fodder 16 July 2011 10:10 AM

I also have one of these pumps and it will be fitted soon, it's a replacement for the standard pump and is rated up to 500bhp by RCM.

"Taylor" 16 July 2011 10:36 AM

Thats for the inputs fella's, just got off the phone to RCM and they said the rubber cup/ sleeve that it came with is the new "Foot", just a different design from the standard one.
As Mr Fodder says the pump is an in tank replacement for the standard unit, just their version of a Walbro really. I've been advised by a well known mapper to avoid the "New" Walbro's and fit the above instead. Thanks again for the input. :)

Here you go Shaun here's the link:
http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.u...productID=1301

Midlife...... 16 July 2011 11:08 AM

Hi "Taylor"..........thanks for that :) I'm slowly getting the bits together for a 2.5 build for my bug.

I've already got an uprated RCM oil pump and have bookmarked the fuel pump too :D

Cheers

Shaun

PS just out of curiosity what did the mapper say about the New Walbro ?

"Taylor" 16 July 2011 11:24 AM

Just that the quality of the new one's aren't up to their reputation of old and that they are suffering a few failures with them.

Cannon Fodder 16 July 2011 11:25 AM

The current production Walbro 255 pumps appear to have compromised on the quality, I know of 3 people who have had new Walbro pumps fitted and on mapping have been found to be faulty.

Yes you can pick up a new Walbro for around £70 but is it really worth the risk?

Cannon Fodder 16 July 2011 11:26 AM

And at least RCM individually test each pump prior to sale for peace of mind.

You beat me to it Taylor. ;)

Midlife...... 16 July 2011 12:08 PM

:D :D

Shaun