ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Homeplug advice please (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/897067-homeplug-advice-please.html)

spufus 15 July 2011 01:38 AM

Homeplug advice please

I'm moving my office into the summerhouse, so need to install the broadband in there.

The summerhouse is approx 100m from the house & not really in line of sight - trees etc.

My question is: Has anyone used Homeplug networking in these conditions & if so, how good is it?

I can run an RJ45 cable if need be, but would prefer the easy option if possible :thumb:

TIA

Markus 15 July 2011 02:06 AM

I've got a couple of NetGear homeplug items and they do seem to be pretty good. I've got an AppleTV in the upstairs bedroom and it used to connect via wireless to my iMac in the basement which had an external shared drive with my media on it.

Quite often I'd find a film stalling for anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, presumably as it read ahead. Since fitting the NetGear's I've not had any such problems.

If you can borrow a set from someone then all the better to test if they work well for you.

yabbadoo4 15 July 2011 03:27 AM

They work great bud. Easy setup as well plug and play. My bedroom is at opposite end of house from the sitting room and the signal was dropping out on the laptop and the ps3 when streaming movies from the main pc in sitting room. Now they both run perfect. Big thumbs up from me m8.

XRS 15 July 2011 08:07 AM

I have the Billion Bipac P106N. Fantastic, and gives N wireless too. Not sure if your distance would make a difference though.

boxst 15 July 2011 09:23 AM

100 meters is the recommended maximum. So they should work. As above, I would borrow a couple. There is no set-up required, just plug one in then ethernet to your router and go to the summer house plug in the other one and the ethernet cable into your computer. Done.

(they are things of the devil)

sovietspybob 15 July 2011 10:02 AM

It'd be interesting to know if they do work at that distance, If it were me i'd run some decent quality CAT6 cable as that'll run all day long at 1000meg at that distance.

Littleted 15 July 2011 10:35 AM

i use 3 devolo ones, seem ok, sometimes have to unplug master but apart from that top stuff

SinghSuperStud 15 July 2011 11:03 AM

ebuyer has some good deals on these form time to time.

I've got two different sets - one 85mbps and another that is supposedly 200mbps - can't fault them :)

spufus 15 July 2011 10:22 PM

Thanks for the info guys :thumb:

Now for the most obvious questions:

Which ones are best? I'm prepared to pay more for the better ones, but would obviously prefer to pay as little as possible!

Where do I get them?

Thanks again

Littleted 16 July 2011 08:40 PM

devalo m8 they invented it i think

http://www.devolo.co.uk/

jowl 18 July 2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by spufus (Post 10138104)
Thanks for the info guys :thumb:

Now for the most obvious questions:

Which ones are best? I'm prepared to pay more for the better ones, but would obviously prefer to pay as little as possible!

Where do I get them?

Thanks again

I would definately look at the Billion ones. The set I've used for myself and for my parents have been excellent.

In fact I find Billion hardware excellent all round

spufus 19 July 2011 12:45 AM

Thanks again guys :thumb:

I have had a rethink - I think!

I'll run the homeplug into the cellar & the from there a CAT5 cable to the summerhouse. This "should" give me the best connection I think without having to drill lots of holes in a 1930s house.

My work is all internet based so I need a good reliable connection.

All thoughts on the connection idea greatfully received.

Littleted 19 July 2011 09:15 AM

best idea m8 otherwise you looking at a massive cat5 .

shooter007 24 July 2011 08:10 PM

Have problems with mine as don't seem to like working through rcd mains panels

Littleted 24 July 2011 08:15 PM

mines a new Consumer unit and mines ok, all Mini circuit Breakers.

make sure they are all on same firmware the devalo ones specifically they can be a bast

spufus 04 August 2011 11:36 PM

An update:

I bought a couple of cheapies from eBuyer - £35ish for a pair.

Tried them first with one from the router in the office to an outside plug & a CAT5 cable to the office - 50m + 50m with a join in the middle.
Data transfer was great.

Then moved the second plug to a shed part way down the garden & ran the CAT5 to the summerhouse - no drop in transfer speeds.

Went the whole hog & plugged the second homeplug in the summerhouse - very slignt drop in speed but nothing to be concerned about.

No cables, no holes drilled & my office is now out of the house.

I am a happy bunny :D

Thanks for all your help guys :thumb:

SwissTony 05 August 2011 07:21 AM

God knows why you are going to the expense of homeplugs for the 'office' in the summerhouse ??

I mean these things dont use data ;)

http://www.kegerator-review.com/wp-c...eer-cooler.jpg