ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Not really a 'What car' thread... (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/896937-not-really-a-what-car-thread.html)

zip106 13 July 2011 10:35 PM

Not really a 'What car' thread...

The insurance have decided my Exige is a total loss and are deliberating over it's value, so the time has come to look for another car.

Now, I'm all up for jumping into another Exige (I've also been told I can get my deposit down for a new V6 Exige if I want) but, and it's a big BUT - I've been implored by both my kids and wife, friends, family (but mostly my little kids) NOT to get another 'plastic' car!

After coming off relatively unscathed (it could have been so much worse!) my kids were shocked at the damage to the car.

So, sensible time.

I thought about buying a full-time track car and trailering it to track days but my time at weekends is pretty precious so that wouldn't work just yet.
I'd thought about a Dax Cobra with a nice chunky V8, but I don't want an old car again.

Then I happened on a Boxster Spyder.... on the face of it 'just' a Boxster.
Only it's not.
Aluminium doors, boot lid, bonnet.
Lightweight wheels, relieved of most luxury fripparies (although you can add them back in) and such a fantastic driving machine!

1275kg.

Had a long test drive, and just how good is the balance of this thing!?
Sublime. And the noise from the sport exhaust was intoxicating.

As again, this would be a third car so the roof can stay off (it's a bit of a faff, tbh) as it'd be garaged and used on high days and holidays.

I haven't completely made my mind up as I've never been one for roadsters (it's not a cabriolet - like an Elise, but made of metal and more expensive !) so I'm not sure if it's quite 'me'.
In an ideal world I'd be in a 997 GT3 but they are still out my price range :(.
A Cayman R also stirs my loins, but I don't think they're worth the money at the moment.

So, any other ideas :thumb:

(and I'll pass on the GTR ;) )

grahamc 13 July 2011 10:40 PM

Whats the budget? New or used (or both)?

I am putting my money into a new 2010 GTR :D

zip106 13 July 2011 10:44 PM

Budget of around £40 - £45k.
New or used, but the newer the better :)

Afraid the GTR just does nothing for me - obviously it's a very good and capable car, but not my cuppa.

MMT WRX 13 July 2011 10:55 PM

With that budget Zip and the fact your thinking of tracking it, I'd be looking for the best GT3 you can get, even if its a 996. :thumb:
http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/ai.../2878206-2.jpg
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2878206.htm

zip106 13 July 2011 10:59 PM

I've been down that route many times!
I don't really want a Porsche that's out of the OPC network - they cost **** loads to fix!

That, and I'm not particularly struck on the 996 GT3 - as good a car as it is they're still 'old'.

If I bought a Spyder I'd still do an occasional track day - just not as many as if I'd still got the Exige.

Cubic 13 July 2011 11:01 PM

If it was me, I would be hard pushed to walk pass one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SKYLINE-GTR-35...#ht_1266wt_937

MMT WRX 13 July 2011 11:07 PM

How many track days have you done now Zip?

zip106 13 July 2011 11:14 PM

None in my own car.
I'd actually booked a couple and was about to have harnesses fitted to the Exige.
Even had an exhaust muffler made to quieten it down.

Never got a chance to do them, though :rolleyes:

MMT WRX 13 July 2011 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10135216)
None in my own car.
I'd actually booked a couple and was about to have harnesses fitted to the Exige.
Even had an exhaust muffler made to quieten it down.

Never got a chance to do them, though :rolleyes:

oh bugger. Come down Donington next Thursday evening, I'm doing my first in my own car. :D

zip106 13 July 2011 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by MMT WRX (Post 10135235)
oh bugger. Come down Donington next Thursday evening, I'm doing my first in my own car. :D

You know what mate - I might just do that if the wife's at home :thumb:
Only 15-20 mins away from my house :)

Trout 14 July 2011 02:41 AM

I think your Boxster idea is a good one. Even a Boxster S. I had one for a long weekend whilst they were fiddling with my old GT3. I loved it - the noise, the balance, the accessible fun. And relatively cheap for what is a real Porsche.

As much as I still love my 996, I am not sure it is the car for you, a 997 would be better. The 6 will bite, especially on track, if you are not totally committed.

Another option would be a Cayman S.

ScoobyDoo555 14 July 2011 06:35 AM

Depends what your criteria are.

Personally, with £45K, I'd be straight into one of these:-
http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/im...?id=1718167274

But I've always had a soft-spot for something Italian......

Or a high-spec 355 GTS F1. Rather pleasant track car.

zip106 14 July 2011 06:57 AM

Something about the Cayman that doesn't sit quite right with me, design wise.

As for the Ferrari, I've thought about a 355.
Would love one, but these are now getting on for 12/13+ years old.

I couldn't have that 360 in the pic 'cos my name's not Lance :)

grahamc 14 July 2011 07:04 AM

I dont mind about you not liking the GTR, less on the road then :D

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10135200)
I've been down that route many times!
I don't really want a Porsche that's out of the OPC network - they cost **** loads to fix!

That, and I'm not particularly struck on the 996 GT3 - as good a car as it is they're still 'old'.

If I bought a Spyder I'd still do an occasional track day - just not as many as if I'd still got the Exige.

I looked at the Spyder as well, but just a little too "trimmed" for that sort of money, but did sound very nice :thumb:

MMT WRX 14 July 2011 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10135252)
You know what mate - I might just do that if the wife's at home :thumb:
Only 15-20 mins away from my house :)

:thumb: Nice one, hope you can make it.

alloy 14 July 2011 09:28 AM

m3 csl

zip106 14 July 2011 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by alloy (Post 10135437)
m3 csl

Almost had one before I bought the Exige but again, getting on a bit now.
Great car though, and probably won't depreciate much if at all.

alloy 14 July 2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10135466)
Almost had one before I bought the Exige but again, getting on a bit now.
Great car though, and probably won't depreciate much if at all.

Supercharged M3 CSL :D

grahamc 14 July 2011 10:43 AM

Some left field options:
GT40 replica (RCR one on PH for 45k)
Ariel atom
KTM xbow

stilover 14 July 2011 10:46 AM

What about the new BMW 1M?

New car, quite quick, and should hold it's value well due to being supplied in limited numbers.

Could be a future classic?

zip106 14 July 2011 11:15 AM

I've looked into the 1M and was quite concerned that BMW 's own predicted value after 3 years is only about £12k residual!
That's quite a poor showing for a limited build car.
The other thing that put me off- and this came from a BMW salesman himself - is that as good as it is, it's only a tweaked 135I and not a properly built M car.
I sat down with him and for a sensible spec (no nav) it came to about £44k.
I reckon a Spyder at that price will be worth more in 3 years.

alloy 14 July 2011 11:18 AM

What about a used SLK55AMG or a Z4M?

scoobyc 14 July 2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10135541)
I've looked into the 1M and was quite concerned that BMW 's own predicted value after 3 years is only about £12k residual!
The other thing that put me off- and this came from a BMW salesman himself - is that as good as it is, it's only a tweaked 135I and not a properly built M car.

I said this on the m-power forum on pistonheads and got slated lol.

There was a spyder at rockingham trackday a couple of weeks back and i really liked it. It was the best sounding and looking car of the day and it certainly seemed to shift.

What are these going for?

zip106 14 July 2011 11:50 AM

Z4M's are ok if you don't mind driving around with the rear wheels hardly touching tarmac and the TC light flashing constantly ;)

And that front end... :nono:

zip106 14 July 2011 11:52 AM

Z4M's are ok if you don't mind driving around with the rear wheels hardly touching tarmac and the TC light flashing constantly ;)

Had never thought about a Merc ... hmmm

zip106 14 July 2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10135597)

Feckin iPhone.
Those last sentences are the wrong way round!

scoobyc 14 July 2011 11:57 AM

Had a crack in c63 and another (cl 63 i think it was). and they sound wicked and go well. However they are a bit "lazy" for trackday use.

alloy 14 July 2011 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10135597)

If you like the boxster, i'm just thinking what cars my missus' hairdressers have had.....MX5?:D

Saxo Boy 14 July 2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10135541)

Wait, what! BMW think that in 3 years time you will be able to buy an average mileage 1M for £12k. That is absurd, you might be able to get one for £18k if you are lucky....but £12k. Ha!!

LEO-RS 14 July 2011 12:15 PM

£45k, 11 plate Audi TTRS S-Tronic (DSG), 3yrs warranty, 33mpg, £240 tax. 0-60 in 3.6 and 100 in 9.3. With a map, 60 in low 3's and 100 in sub 8secs. Good residuals, the interior is lovely, well equipped, economical, cheap to tune, very quick, GTR pace and best VFM new car on the market in my opinion.

The only thing you need to put up with is the hairdresser image, but then again you have been mentioning the Porsche Boxster so im sure you can see past that ;)

http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/used...cmdc=se_na_re_

You'll get that for £45k easy.