ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   So,are we really alone ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/896213-so-are-we-really-alone.html)

The Rig 08 July 2011 08:17 PM

So,are we really alone ?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...nt-haboob.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...in-Mexico.html

If so,WTF are these things

TinyTim 08 July 2011 08:29 PM

It's Murdoch fecking off back to his own planet.

Jamo 08 July 2011 08:33 PM

its very small minded to think that we are the only living organisms that are capable of flight or travel to other planets in the entire universe.

But

I wont believe there are "little green men" until I see it for myself :)

PaulC72 08 July 2011 08:42 PM

I am the same I would doubt we are the only ones out here but have yet to see any aliens to convince me fully ;)

stilover 08 July 2011 08:50 PM

There are hundreds of Billions of stars in our Galaxy. Even if only half of those stars had one planet orbiting them, that means there are still hundreds of Billions of Planets out there. As said above, it would be naive to think we are the only living organisms in our Galaxy.

Then there are the Hundreds of Billions of Galaxies out there too. Our technology can only get us into orbit. If an intelligent species on another planet has been evolving for the past 100 Million years, they could well have the technology to travel faster than the speed of light, of create a wormhole.

Just because `we` can't do it, doesn't mean others can't.

Turbohot 08 July 2011 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 10126840)

Yep!

I agree that we shouldn't be that arrogant to think they we are the only ones running the show on the stage of the Earth in this universe. Who knows what's really up there.

tony de wonderful 08 July 2011 10:22 PM

Why would they want to visit this dump? :)

hutton_d 08 July 2011 10:44 PM

There are hundreds of Billions of stars in our Galaxy. Even if only half of those stars had one planet orbiting them, that means there are still hundreds of Billions of Planets out there. As said above, it would be naive to think we are the only living organisms in our Galaxy.

Then there are the Hundreds of Billions of Galaxies out there too. Our technology can only get us into orbit. If an intelligent species on another planet has been evolving for the past 100 Million years, they could well have the technology to travel faster than the speed of light, of create a wormhole.

There is almost certainly more life out there. However, you don't mention other, possibly/probably pertinent criteria for life on earth. a) a planet within the stars 'habitable zone'. i.e. where liquid water can exist. Though it can exist on other planets in this solar system. b) We have a feckin' great moon that has a vast influence on the planet, in ways we can't comprehend. That is a rarity.

So yes, I do think there is more life out there as I'm an eternal optimist in some ways. The realist says that I wouldn't be surprised if we were the only ones ....

Dave

DYK 09 July 2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10127011)

:lol1:

They seem to avoid England,its usually Wales or Scotland they are reported,think they know something ;) :Suspiciou
I could just imagine a UFO visiting the UK,lands the spacecraft and getting a parking ticket..

Trout 09 July 2011 07:59 AM

The probability of there being life is almost certainly 1.

The probability of life being anywhere near us is near 0.

The probability that a race clever enough for interstellar travel bothering to visit, absolute zero!!!

For everything else there is MasterCard.

RobsyUK 09 July 2011 08:14 AM

I wan anal probed once..Oh wait that was the wife... But seeing is beliving.

ditchmyster 09 July 2011 08:18 AM

I would think there is some sort of being/ life form out there.

Also here but just not necessarily "as we Know it".

The great minds of our time and our history have all followed a similar direction using the criteria of life as we know it to exist and the means by which it exsists, therefore being basicly flawed in there assumptions that it is the only way it can exsist, so may never find out what else is here nevermind the rest of the universe.

In the greater scheme of life and the universe we have not even began to scratch the surface in terms of our own exsisance compared to how long it takes for a mountain to grow 1 inch we are barely in our infancy if that.

If any of that makes sense.

I'm going back to bed my head hurts :lol1:

dunx 09 July 2011 08:29 AM

At best ball lightening, at worst an optical artefact see how the "ring" appears at the edge of the screen, classic optical aberration.

As for the second, that's the arsse of an aircraft at sunset, well I can clearly see the four engines and the underside of the fuselage... it's moving way too slowly for anything else.

dunx

P.S. We have water... and salt in abundance.

tony de wonderful 09 July 2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10127246)
:lol1:

They seem to avoid England,its usually Wales or Scotland they are reported,think they know something ;) :Suspiciou
I could just imagine a UFO visiting the UK,lands the spacecraft and getting a parking ticket..

They would get benefits at least though...:lol1:

Leslie 09 July 2011 11:06 AM

I once did some test flying which involved flying a Canberra around at low level at night over the midlands with a several million candlepower light in one of the tip tanks.

You would not believe the numbers of UFO sightings the next day!

Les ;)

Chip 09 July 2011 11:14 AM

Benefits :D

stilover 09 July 2011 11:14 AM

There is a great chance that, if intelligent life does exist out there, they may simply not know we are here. Our solar system is towards the edge of our Galaxy. Given the hundreds of Billions, or even Trillions of planets out there, finding `us` in the middle of that lot is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Or it could well be that they do know about us, but we are classed as too dumb yet, as to make themselves know to us.

Saxo Boy 09 July 2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 10127253)
The probability of there being life is almost certainly 1.

The probability of life being anywhere near us is near 0.

The probability that a race clever enough for interstellar travel bothering to visit, absolute zero!!!

For everything else there is MasterCard.

I disagree with this actually. There is almost certainly advanced lifeforms out there with the ability to travel faster than the speed of light (or rather, circumvent normal measures of speed).

However, I think it is wrong to assume they would not be interested in us. The big ball we live on is as unique as their own home planet in that it is super, super, super rare within the cosmos because it can support life. Intelligent life at that. I would imagine they would be quite interested in studying our planet and its various inhabitants.

mamoon2 09 July 2011 12:26 PM

Benefits? Free Housing? Free Healthcare?

Pink_Floyd 09 July 2011 01:06 PM

It would be a fair assumption that we are not alone given the vast size of the universe. In fact we still don't understand just how large it is. My worry would be if another species actually did make full blown contact, imagine the consequences if they chose to colonize?

Then again we could just send pslewis to meet and act as an ambassador. Five minutes with him and they'd foxtrot oscar with words about diesel cars, pensions, pay and teachers ringing in their ears, never to return or set foot on Earth again ;)

Daz34 09 July 2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 10127263)
But seeing is beliving.

Only for the gullible.

jef 09 July 2011 03:33 PM

yeah im in the definate other lifeforms on other planets

we eveloved to suit our circumstances in our goldilocks zone, where water is present and is really what life here revolves aropund.

im not convinced every livingthing will have to adhere to our set of rules.

we already know life can survive with out sunlight and at extreme highs/lows of temeperatures.

so in short be be ptretty niave to assume we aer or were alone.

the difficulty for me is the absolute tiny amount of time we have been here - which for me makes meeting anything else, much much more than unlikley

Leslie 09 July 2011 03:45 PM

It would be quite wrong to say that the only life forms are on our own planet.

The vastness out there and the number of systems with similar properties to our own must mean that there are other civilisations.

It would also be interesting whether the scientific laws and those of nature are the same as ours.

Les

scoobyd00999 09 July 2011 04:16 PM

If there is any alien lifeforms out there,you would have thought God would have said so

ditchmyster 09 July 2011 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 10127490)
There is a great chance that, if intelligent life does exist out there, they may simply not know we are here. Our solar system is towards the edge of our Galaxy. Given the hundreds of Billions, or even Trillions of planets out there, finding `us` in the middle of that lot is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Or it could well be that they do know about us, but we are classed as too dumb yet, as to make themselves know to us.

I think thats more likely than most would admit, we have exsisted for little more than the blink of an eye in terms of the universe and we have the audacity to think we are intelligent. lol.:nono:

Dogs and cats have more sense than most on this planet, you only have to look at the way we pander to their needs to figure that one out.:lol1:

Leslie 09 July 2011 04:34 PM

Dogs have owners...cats have staff!

Les ;)

Leslie 09 July 2011 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyd00999 (Post 10127867)
If there is any alien lifeforms out there,you would have thought God would have said so

Only if He felt like it!

Les :)

dunx 09 July 2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10127888)
Only if SHE felt like it!

Les :)

Edit due to fear... :lol1:

Terminator X 09 July 2011 05:56 PM

All alone imho ... chances of intelligent life elsewhere are v v small. Even if it did exist we'd never see it due to mega distances between galaxies etc.

TX.

Terminator X 09 July 2011 06:01 PM

... they could well have the technology to travel faster than the speed of light ...

That is not possible fella, the laws of physics apply throughout the universe.

TX.