ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Die Hards ! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/896001-die-hards.html)

leecalcars 07 July 2011 07:07 PM

Die Hards !

I guess all of us on here are die hards when it comes to performance at a cost, as we know is getting higher and higher.

What would make you re-consider selling your pride and joy for a little cheap run about that exceeds 60 + to the gallon, is cheap to insure and cheap to tax.

Personally i think iv'e made the right descision in soley using my car for track only ,with no insurance to pay for ,tax or high fuel costs to run as a daily driver.

On the other hand i do realise that that comprise does come at a cost in performance for a cheap run around .

So to some up my question, how much more can we take as a nation at rising fuel costs ,insurance and tax ,as it seems very plain to me that the government is certainly trying its damndest to put a stop on the performance car market.

BLU 07 July 2011 07:14 PM

They've been trying for years, much the same way they've been trying to stop people smoking and drinking!! In this country if its fun the government will tax you to the hilt for it!
The government will have to try a lot harder if they want me to stop using my performance car.

jaymaxy 07 July 2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 10124764)
They've been trying for years, much the same way they've been trying to stop people smoking and drinking!! In this country if its fun the government will tax you to the hilt for it!
The government will have to try a lot harder if they want me to stop using my performance car.

+1:thumb:

Christof89 07 July 2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 10124764)

Could not have put it better myself, to get my keys they will have to pry them from my cold dead fingers! :lol1:

leecalcars 07 July 2011 08:21 PM

So Hyperthetically speaking fuel rises again over the next 6mths to a whopping £3.00 a litre do you still run your car as often as you do now or do you tighten your belt and reduce the mileage to "work" only".

BLU 07 July 2011 08:25 PM

I'll continue to use my car as I do now, regardless. My missus is the same and she does a 50 mile round trip to work in her Scooby, 5 days a week :D

jayallen 07 July 2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 10124885)
I'll continue to use my car as I do now, regardless. My missus is the same and she does a 50 mile round trip to work in her Scooby, 5 days a week :D

Thats fair enough fella but there has to be a cut off point...I really dont know what that point is at present but there will come a time when enoughs enough.

topshot 07 July 2011 11:05 PM

rather give up booze than my impreza.

joz8968 07 July 2011 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by leecalcars (Post 10124746)
...What would make you re-consider selling your pride and joy for a little cheap run about that exceeds 60 + to the gallon, is cheap to insure and cheap to tax.....

My mate's just bought a little 'cooking' Fabia non-turbo diesel. He deliberately drives it as frugally as possible (pisses off other road users lol), and the trip computer reads 61mpg. :)

£90 tax too.

But, indeed, why not get the Fabia vRS... Or even a Mk.1 Leon Cupra TDi? They'll still offer some decent FWD hot hatch fun (with their big torque outputs), and you'll still prob. realise at least c.40mpg, even when having fun! ;)