ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Unfecking believable - just how thick are some of the police force (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/894681-unfecking-believable-just-how-thick-are-some-of-the-police-force.html)

Devildog 27 June 2011 09:48 PM

Unfecking believable - just how thick are some of the police force

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...dlers-car.html

Deja vu anyone?

Seriously, the force needs to sort its **** out :mad:

Jamo 27 June 2011 09:51 PM

However, the handler, who was said to be "distraught" has not been suspended and the Independent Police Complaints Commission has not launched an inquiry.
WTF???? :mad:

pslewis 27 June 2011 09:56 PM

He should be suspended at least!

Jaybird-UK 27 June 2011 09:58 PM

Terrible just truly shocking :(

The Dogs B******s 27 June 2011 10:11 PM

That's bad:mad:

SPORTWAGONROY 27 June 2011 10:15 PM

fooking idiots

GlesgaKiss 27 June 2011 10:30 PM

It doesn't say anything about the circumstances in that article. But it does say that the handler was distraught. At the end of the day, mistakes like this do happen, and even though there have been two reports within a certain period of time, that doesn't necessarily indicate a problem that's likely to continue. I bet there have been countless dog lovers who've done this through the years just as one of those things and then been inconsolable, just like this guy no doubt is.

dpb 27 June 2011 10:34 PM

i cant see it myself , i mean this is the only job these people do isnt it ?? like theyre intertwined with the mutt all day long ??

i suppose youd have to extra careful with a police car not to have it broken into/stolen but even so

bioforger 28 June 2011 01:13 AM

Sorry but you can't try n make excuses for them, because there is no excuse, they are facking idiots end of. Simply selfish/arrogant minded apes.

Jamie 28 June 2011 07:53 AM

On twitter said policeman has slit his wrists :( not sure if it is true!

Jaybird-UK 28 June 2011 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 10110294)
On twitter said policeman has slit his wrists :( not sure if it is true!

Papers reporting he jumped from a moving car before cutting himself. Tragedy for the dogs and a terrible time for the Officer :(

danos14 28 June 2011 08:13 AM

wander if the rspca will be taking him to court????

pimmo2000 28 June 2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 10110052)
It doesn't say anything about the circumstances in that article. But it does say that the handler was distraught. At the end of the day, mistakes like this do happen, and even though there have been two reports within a certain period of time, that doesn't necessarily indicate a problem that's likely to continue. I bet there have been countless dog lovers who've done this through the years just as one of those things and then been inconsolable, just like this guy no doubt is.

Joe public should face jail for this, a Police officer, who is trained to think on their feet and put in charge of an expensive and living resource should have the book thrown at them ..

There is no situation that warrants this, nothing at all. How can you forget about two animals in your car ?

GlesgaKiss 28 June 2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 10110329)
Joe public should face jail for this, a Police officer, who is trained to think on their feet and put in charge of an expensive and living resource should have the book thrown at them ..

There is no situation that warrants this, nothing at all. How can you forget about two animals in your car ?

Jail's a bit OTT for accidentally leaving dogs in a car is it not?

As for how this could happen, well how could anything happen. How could someone run over their dog in their drive, or their child for that matter? Would you jail them too?

I can imagine how this would happen now. You arrive in your local supermarket car park with dogs in car. Making sure the windows were open would usually be the first thing you'd do, but this time something distracts you... maybe someone you know walking past and you get chatting to them. As you say your goodbyes you just lock the car with the remote and, rather than go straight into the supermarket, you go down the high street in town for a few things first. When you're down there you get what you need and then, in the last shop, meet someone else you know, who you haven't seen for ages. You get a bit lost in conversation, and by the time you start making your way back to your car with this first lot of shopping, an hour and a half has passed since you first left it. It's at this point you realise you forgot to put the windows down to let air in for your dogs. A horrible sense of guilt and panic sets in and you make a run for the car park, but by the time you get there it's too late...

So to answer the question "how could you forget about two animals in your car?" - because we're human, not robots. Not saying it's right, but these things do happen, and they're nothing more than human mistakes. The idea of punishing someone for it, or even sending them to jail, seems a bit ridiculous IMO.

CREWJ 28 June 2011 11:46 AM

It is tragic.

But is prison really adequate? He's not a danger to the public. Maybe fining him and revoking his "dog squad" resposibilities is the right way. Hard for us to judge.

Coffin Dodger 28 June 2011 12:03 PM

As a dog owner - no mistakes like this do not happen. There is no way I would leave the car with the dog in it without any ventilation. Even in the middle of winter I'll have the rear windows open a bit.

As for doing so on what was probably the hottest day of the year so far :mad: I wouldn't even be leaving the dog in the car FFS, I could probably have every single window open fully and it would still be too hot. What he has done is inexcusable.

Leslie 28 June 2011 12:03 PM

Incredible that should happen after all the understandable fuss about that copper who did the same thing before.

That must have been a terrible experience for those poor dogs and the fact that they died makes the whole thing very much worse.

A man who is a dog handler should have the welfare of his dogs at the forefront of his mind and I cannot for the life of me think of an adequate excuse for his crass stupidity. He should have been thinking ahead before putting the dogs in such a position such as him being called out suddenly.

As someone said earlier, if any of us did it we would be facing a very heavy penalty and in this case, with a trained dog handler being responsible, the penalty should be very much heavier.

Can't believe that the Police Authorities are trying to ignore it. I sincerely hope they are shamed into strong action over the matter.

Les

J4CKO 28 June 2011 12:15 PM

He may have got a shout to an urgent incident.

He is obviously absolutely devastated, he tried to kill himself, I know what I would feel like if I accidentally hurt or killed our Dog, he may have been negligent, probably but I dont think it was casual or nomral, suspect there was a reason, Police Dog Handlers generally have a strong bond with their animal and it sounds like he is punishing himself more than any court could do.

Spoon 28 June 2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 10110627)
He may have got a shout to an urgent incident.

There are zero excuses unless the handler/owner dropped dead and nobody else knew the dogs were in the vehicle.

A person is no more than a thick cúnt to leave dogs in a vehicle on a hot day.

Holy Ghost 28 June 2011 12:34 PM

i disagree. you're comparing apples with oranges. being a police dog handler is a profession - whereas being a dog owner is an unqualified, unlicensed amateur choice that many people still fail dismally at on a regular basis. and who, in circumstances like this, are rightly punished when taken to task by the relevant authorities.

for a trained police dog handler to commit a fatal professional error like this, on the hottest day of the year when public warnings about a snap heatwave have been all over the media, is gross negligence and he was clearly unsuitable for the role. how can you 'forget' that you have left two dogs in a slow cooker? he should be dismissed from his job and punished accordingly for animal cruelty, accidental or otherwise. a K-9 handler harming his charges is an omerta breach of code. i'm sure the man is distraught; tough. that's no help to the two animals he consigned to an agonising slow death through rank carelessness.

his constabularly should also be checking their procedures. if it is found that there are no processes in place to prevent such elementary mistakes - like a 10 second commonsense personal reminder from your boss to keep your dogs cool when the weather's hot - then the arse-kicking should proceed upwards at the requisite pace and intensity.

apologies for my directness; there is no grey area in this case. when it's broke, fix it.

J4CKO 28 June 2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 10110646)
There are zero excuses unless the handler/owner dropped dead and nobody else knew the dogs were in the vehicle.

A person is no more than a thick cúnt to leave dogs in a vehicle on a hot day.

True, it was stupid and such a shame.

I dont think people always understand how easily a dog can be killed like this even though its well publicised, you or I would have survived it, grumpy and sweaty, but I suppose that is the key, Dogs cant sweat and are covered in fur, panting only does so much. We are really careful with our Dog as he tends to get too hot, the silly sod will chase round in full sun and then look really overheated so we ban the kids from playing with him when its really hot, we dont walk him until its cooled down and douse him from time to time with the hose, have given him ice cubes as well which he loves

CrisPDuk 28 June 2011 12:43 PM

Apparently it's not the first time this particular copper's actions have caused the death of a police dog :eek:

Once could maybe excused (by some, not me) as a mistake, twice implies that there is something seriously wrong in this fcukers head :mad:

If he was seriously trying to kill himself, he'd have managed it :thumb: Smells to me more like he's building a defence :Suspiciou

WhatswiththeR 28 June 2011 12:43 PM

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...=searchresults

Apprently he's done it before too, and had a disciplinary over the matter. how he could do it twice is beyond me.

CrisPDuk 28 June 2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 10110579)
Jail's a bit OTT for accidentally leaving dogs in a car is it not?

As for how this could happen, well how could anything happen. How could someone run over their dog in their drive, or their child for that matter? Would you jail them too?

I can imagine how this would happen now. You arrive in your local supermarket car park with dogs in car. Making sure the windows were open would usually be the first thing you'd do, but this time something distracts you... maybe someone you know walking past and you get chatting to them. As you say your goodbyes you just lock the car with the remote and, rather than go straight into the supermarket, you go down the high street in town for a few things first. When you're down there you get what you need and then, in the last shop, meet someone else you know, who you haven't seen for ages. You get a bit lost in conversation, and by the time you start making your way back to your car with this first lot of shopping, an hour and a half has passed since you first left it. It's at this point you realise you forgot to put the windows down to let air in for your dogs. A horrible sense of guilt and panic sets in and you make a run for the car park, but by the time you get there it's too late...

So to answer the question "how could you forget about two animals in your car?" - because we're human, not robots. Not saying it's right, but these things do happen, and they're nothing more than human mistakes. The idea of punishing someone for it, or even sending them to jail, seems a bit ridiculous IMO.

I'm sorry, but that is the biggest crock of apologist ****e I've ever read :nono:

Are you a plod by any chance :wonder:

Spoon 28 June 2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 10110659)
True, it was stupid and such a shame.

I dont think people always understand how easily a dog can be killed like this even though its well publicised, you or I would have survived it, grumpy and sweaty, but I suppose that is the key, Dogs cant sweat and are covered in fur, panting only does so much. We are really careful with our Dog as he tends to get too hot, the silly sod will chase round in full sun and then look really overheated so we ban the kids from playing with him when its really hot, we dont walk him until its cooled down and douse him from time to time with the hose, have given him ice cubes as well which he loves

Thick people don't understand, J4CKO. Your actions are sensible precautions borne from a modicum of intelligent thought.

Jonny_ 28 June 2011 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 10110607)
As a dog owner - no mistakes like this do not happen. There is no way I would leave the car with the dog in it without any ventilation. Even in the middle of winter I'll have the rear windows open a bit.

As for doing so on what was probably the hottest day of the year so far :mad: I wouldn't even be leaving the dog in the car FFS, I could probably have every single window open fully and it would still be too hot. What he has done is inexcusable.

of course...... no civilian dogs have ever died from being left in a hot car....******* copper

mamoon2 28 June 2011 03:48 PM

Jail is too harsh but he should be sacked and fined

Coffin Dodger 28 June 2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 10110921)
Jail is too harsh but he should be sacked and fined

Why? A member of the public can get six months for this. As a supposedly responsible and respected member of the community police dog handlers should be looked up to by public dog owners. They should therefore make an example of him.

I also think that Mick off of Dog Borstal should be given half an hour alone (or perhaps with his favourite attack dog) with him in the cells with him tied to a chair :mad:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile...179_8279_n.jpg

dpb 28 June 2011 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 10110670)
Apparently it's not the first time this particular copper's actions have caused the death of a police dog :eek:

Once could maybe excused (by some, not me) as a mistake, twice implies that there is something seriously wrong in this fcukers head :mad:

If he was seriously trying to kill himself, he'd have managed it :thumb: Smells to me more like he's building a defence :Suspiciou

the irony is hell probably get off , becuase hes a copper after all