ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   FUEL (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/894151-fuel.html)

MattyB1983 23 June 2011 09:53 PM

FUEL

Went to put some super in the car tonight at my usual garage but found they were out of stock. Decided to try the Tesco momentum stuff as I've read some good things recently about it. I was totally against supermarket fuel as a rule but thought sod it, I'll try.
Stuck a scores worth in and went inside to pay. While waiting for the chip and pin thing I asked the fella behind the counter what the RON of the momentum was, he reckons it's only 97. He said he knew this as he was asked a while ago so looked it up.
I thought it was supposed to be 99 or 100 Ron fuel.

Has he made a mistake saying 97 ?? He seemed pretty certain though.

chris84 23 June 2011 09:59 PM

Ignore him, doesn't even know the product he's selling.

http://www.tesco.com/momentum99/

I have used it and had no problem although some say it isn't too good for the engine. Think it's to do with the additives they use.

legb4rsk 23 June 2011 10:02 PM

Why are you against supermarket fuel?

MattyB1983 23 June 2011 10:03 PM

It didn't say 'momentum99' on the pump, just 'momentum'. Gotta be the same stuff though surely.
Don't really know why I put it in to be honest, as a rule I never use supermarket fuel but just thought I'd try it as seen some good posts recently.
Think I'll just ride over to the shell tomorrow and fill her right up to be on the safe side.

MattyB1983 23 June 2011 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk (Post 10104402)
Why are you against supermarket fuel?

Remember seeing something a while ago about supermarket fuel being of lesser quality compared to the other stations.

chris84 23 June 2011 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by MattyB1983 (Post 10104405)
It didn't say 'momentum99' on the pump, just 'momentum'. Gotta be the same stuff though surely.
Don't really know why I put it in to be honest, as a rule I never use supermarket fuel but just thought I'd try it as seen some good posts recently.
Think I'll just ride over to the shell tomorrow and fill her right up to be on the safe side.

Use the 'Where to buy' on the link I posted. Would appear that not all Tesco filling stations are on the 99RON stuff yet. If it's on there then it'll be fine, if not fill up with some 99RON to dillute the Tesco stuff.

thunder8 23 June 2011 10:10 PM

i use both but must admit i use shell more evan though it costs more as well.

i got my de-cat pipe today but theres a hole in it and not sure why buddy.

and no before you say it ,it is not the lampba senser hole either its near where the join is for the centre section maybe a hole for a senser for aftermarket ecu set up may be ?????

well anyway needs welding up i don,t need it

MattyB1983 23 June 2011 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by chris84 (Post 10104416)
Use the 'Where to buy' on the link I posted. Would appear that not all Tesco filling stations are on the 99RON stuff yet. If it's on there then it'll be fine, if not fill up with some 99RON to dillute the Tesco stuff.

Just did that chap, it appears the momentum I put in isn't 99 Ron fuel. Bloody typical.

MattyB1983 23 June 2011 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by thunder8 (Post 10104420)
i use both but must admit i use shell more evan though it costs more as well.

and no before you say it ,it is not the lampba senser hole either its near where the join is for the centre section maybe a hole for a senser for aftermarket ecu set up may be ?????

Pop it round to me chap when you get chance and I'll have a look at it. You sure a bung won't screw in ?? If not it's not a major problem.

sovietspybob 23 June 2011 10:19 PM

There used to be a thing on tesco's petrol site that said where they sold 99RON as only about 80 or so of their stations have that, the rest have 97.

But i've only ever seen 99RON Momentum in any tesco i've been to and i live in the sticks! (North Wales)

360ste 23 June 2011 10:32 PM

I am good for tesco 99 2 near me. Years ago supermarket fuel was the very basic stuff, no additives that were added in for the main petrol stations. It was okay years ago but as cars have evolved they have had to improve their fuel to stay in the game.

jaygsi 23 June 2011 11:13 PM

Remenber seeing a news report bout supper market fuel loads of cars where cutting out, turns out it was the fuel, something wrong with it.

chris84 23 June 2011 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 10104545)
Remenber seeing a news report bout supper market fuel loads of cars where cutting out, turns out it was the fuel, something wrong with it.

think what you're thinking about is when the petrol suppliers didn't rinse out the cleaning fluid from the tankers before refilling with fuel. the traces of cleaning fluid caused some cars to cut out and it was just bad luck for the supermarkets because that particular batch of fuel was destined for only them.

jaygsi 23 June 2011 11:22 PM

Sounds like it, never heard what corsed it though. Could of been on purpose ;)

Broxi 24 June 2011 01:34 AM

Sainsbury's use BP Fuel, and they sell it cheaper than any BP Filling station. :)

Tesco 99 runs spot on, I have checked the knock oth the following fuels via an Apexi Power FC and commander.

This was with No Octane booster being added.
Esso 97 RON 65 Knock
BP 97 RON 35 Knock
Sainsburys 97 RON 35 Knock
Tesco 97 27 Knock

This is adding a cannister of Regular CVL octane booster to a tank

ESSO 97 RON 45 Knock
BP 97 RON 21 Knock
Sainsburys 97 RON 21 Knock
Tesco 97 RON 17 Knock

This is adding a cannister of CVL TURBO octane booster to a tank

Esso 97 RON 32 Knock
BP 97 RON 9 Knock
Sainsburys 97 RON 9 Knock
Tesco 97 RON 6 Knock

the following was not in my car, but i witnessed the knock levels also on an Apexi

Tesco 99 RON with No Octane Booster 11 Knock Not Tested with any octan booster.
The last tst result i do not consider to be Accurate, as different engines may recieve different levels of Knock, which could be for a whole number of reasons.

But it does give a clear indication of how various fuels will behave in your car.

The Above test's were Carried out in Barnstaple N.Devon, on my RA before fitting a Simtek ECU.

every Subaru i know of that has used the ESSO Fuel in Barnstaple ends up with a Missfire that goes away when you refill at another fuel station... This is not good, I think ESSO watter down the petrol more than reccomended.

however all the other fuels are perfectly good in fact, their is a clear indication that the level of Knock is down considerably when using Tesco Petrol.
I have no Shell close hence this not being tested.
Having done the test above, I will always fill up with Tesco 99, and on advice of others Optimax 99.
I will also consider using BP if desperate, no chance will i use ESSO again.

Of course the above exercise only gives an indication on the knock level of the engine, having lo knock is obviously very Good, but the test does not show any effects that the additives may be doing If any.

jaygsi 24 June 2011 01:40 AM

When you say knock what do you mean?

crazyspeedfreakz 24 June 2011 01:45 AM

Tbh local to me and I'm sure at alot of other tesco garages they use to advertise on there pumps as 99 .. But now they have changed over to momentum . .. so alittle confusion as as to what they are sellin as most people will just think it's a name change... But is it ?

crazyspeedfreakz 24 June 2011 01:51 AM

Neva had a prob with tescos 99 b4 .. Tbh I have no idea what u mean a about supermarket fuel ?? What's the diffrence ?? First I've heard of this

Broxi 24 June 2011 02:00 AM

Having spoke to One of the Tesco Tanker Drivers, He told me it is just a Branding to identify their fuels. eg. Optimax is also a Branding.

anyway Apologies to the Op for the thread Hijack.

Knock.
Knocking (also called knock, detonation, spark knock, pinging or pinking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines occurs when combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder starts off correctly in response to ignition by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front.

The fuel-air charge is meant to be ignited by the spark plug only, and at a precise time in the piston's stroke cycle. The peak of the combustion process no longer occurs at the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The shock wave creates the characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and cylinder pressure increases dramatically. Effects of engine knocking range from inconsequential to completely destructive.

Preventing Knock

Detonation can be prevented by any or all of the following techniques:

the use of a fuel with high octane rating, which increases the combustion temperature of the fuel and reduces the proclivity to detonate;
enriching the fuel/air ratio, which adds extra fuel to the mixture and increases the cooling effect when the fuel vaporizes in the cylinder;
reducing peak cylinder pressure by increasing the engine revolutions (e.g., shifting to a lower gear, there is also evidence that knock occurs more easily at low rpm than high regardless of other factors);
increasing mixture turbulence or swirl by increasing engine revolutions or by increasing "squish" turbulence from the combustion chamber design;
decreasing the manifold pressure by reducing the throttle opening; or
reducing the load on the engine.

The Above information was taken from the Link Below, where the Full Article can be read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Lagamorph 24 June 2011 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by thunder8 (Post 10104420)

Was the downpipe built for a newage? if so it could be the longer version which deletes the short cat pipe that also has a lambda sensor :thumb:

VRS Koopa 24 June 2011 08:25 AM

I use Tesco Momentum99 all the time in my P1. ive never had a problem and its around 4p a litre cheaper than the nearest Shell, which happens to be around 10 miles away.

jaygsi 24 June 2011 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Broxi (Post 10104665)
Having spoke to One of the Tesco Tanker Drivers, He told me it is just a Branding to identify their fuels. eg. Optimax is also a Branding.

anyway Apologies to the Op for the thread Hijack.

Knock.
Knocking (also called knock, detonation, spark knock, pinging or pinking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines occurs when combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder starts off correctly in response to ignition by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front.

The fuel-air charge is meant to be ignited by the spark plug only, and at a precise time in the piston's stroke cycle. The peak of the combustion process no longer occurs at the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The shock wave creates the characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and cylinder pressure increases dramatically. Effects of engine knocking range from inconsequential to completely destructive.

Preventing Knock

Detonation can be prevented by any or all of the following techniques:

the use of a fuel with high octane rating, which increases the combustion temperature of the fuel and reduces the proclivity to detonate;
enriching the fuel/air ratio, which adds extra fuel to the mixture and increases the cooling effect when the fuel vaporizes in the cylinder;
reducing peak cylinder pressure by increasing the engine revolutions (e.g., shifting to a lower gear, there is also evidence that knock occurs more easily at low rpm than high regardless of other factors);
increasing mixture turbulence or swirl by increasing engine revolutions or by increasing "squish" turbulence from the combustion chamber design;
decreasing the manifold pressure by reducing the throttle opening; or
reducing the load on the engine.

The Above information was taken from the Link Below, where the Full Article can be read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Right i get it, never heard it called knocking before is that an american term?

chocolate_o_brian 24 June 2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Broxi (Post 10104655)
Sainsbury's use BP Fuel, and they sell it cheaper than any BP Filling station. :)

Tesco 99 runs spot on, I have checked the knock oth the following fuels via an Apexi Power FC and commander.

This was with No Octane booster being added.
Esso 97 RON 65 Knock
BP 97 RON 35 Knock
Sainsburys 97 RON 35 Knock
Tesco 97 27 Knock

This is adding a cannister of Regular CVL octane booster to a tank

ESSO 97 RON 45 Knock
BP 97 RON 21 Knock
Sainsburys 97 RON 21 Knock
Tesco 97 RON 17 Knock

This is adding a cannister of CVL TURBO octane booster to a tank

Esso 97 RON 32 Knock
BP 97 RON 9 Knock
Sainsburys 97 RON 9 Knock
Tesco 97 RON 6 Knock

the following was not in my car, but i witnessed the knock levels also on an Apexi

Tesco 99 RON with No Octane Booster 11 Knock Not Tested with any octan booster.
The last tst result i do not consider to be Accurate, as different engines may recieve different levels of Knock, which could be for a whole number of reasons.

But it does give a clear indication of how various fuels will behave in your car.

The Above test's were Carried out in Barnstaple N.Devon, on my RA before fitting a Simtek ECU.

every Subaru i know of that has used the ESSO Fuel in Barnstaple ends up with a Missfire that goes away when you refill at another fuel station... This is not good, I think ESSO watter down the petrol more than reccomended.

however all the other fuels are perfectly good in fact, their is a clear indication that the level of Knock is down considerably when using Tesco Petrol.
I have no Shell close hence this not being tested.
Having done the test above, I will always fill up with Tesco 99, and on advice of others Optimax 99.
I will also consider using BP if desperate, no chance will i use ESSO again.

Of course the above exercise only gives an indication on the knock level of the engine, having lo knock is obviously very Good, but the test does not show any effects that the additives may be doing If any.

I'm glad one person in this thread seems to have a clue what he's on about and isn't repeating spiel heard from mates etc :lol1: :thumb:

When I had my last Impreza I ran it for several months on Tesco 99 with no issue what so ever. The "cars cutting out and killing engines" thing was a bit sensationalised in the press but was basically just something left in a batch of fuel destined for supermarkets - cleaner for the tanks I believe. No issues reported since then.

I eventually moved to Shell (cos it's closer) and ran the Scoob on V-power. No mpg difference, just got club points and a voucher every 3 months (shop at Asda so no Tesco's club card back then).

Currently running my Luftpanzarwagen on normal Shell, as again being a thirty hair armpitted German beast, she gets me lots of V-power club points :D

When I get another Scoob, I'll see what the price difference between Tesco and Shell is on their 99ron fuels and weigh it up then. Saying that a UK classic can safely be run on the normal 95ron fuel with no concerns unless remapped afterwards :thumb:

CREWJ 24 June 2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 10104941)
Right i get it, never heard it called knocking before is that an american term?

I thought pinking was the american term :wonder:

I've always been taught it as knock or detonation.

topshot 24 June 2011 11:44 AM

on a side note Tesco have knocked 3p off alitre http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

jaygsi 24 June 2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by CREWJ (Post 10104952)
I thought pinking was the american term :wonder:

I've always been taught it as knock or detonation.

Detonation sounds more right.

chopperman 24 June 2011 12:11 PM

Tesco is 99 ron but the super you were going to put in is only 97 ron. STi's need 98 or above.

The Trooper 1815 24 June 2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by chopperman (Post 10104983)
Tesco is 99 ron but the super you were going to put in is only 97 ron. STi's need 98 or above.

No they don't. Again a common misconception. Have a trawl about and you will see it'll be mainly JDM cars or those who specifically need to use unleaded of an Octane of 97 or above.

The new UK STi when fitted with the upgrade will have a sticker inside the fuel filler telling you what to use. Even Porsche's use 96RON unless stated other wise.

Read your user manuel and do what it says in there.

Ryan@Indigo-GT 24 June 2011 02:36 PM

I use Momentum 99 in my Type R, it was mapped on Esso Super Unleaded but in all fairness, I've been really impressed with Momentum.

When Tesco used to sell just the 'Super Unleaded' the RON would differ from station to station, my local Tesco was 97 RON, yet one in a near by town was 99 RON, I'm not sure it's the same with Momentum though.

CREWJ 24 June 2011 02:48 PM

You should always assume that it's 97RON unless stated otherwise.