ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Knock knock kaput (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/893641-knock-knock-kaput.html)

ditchmyster 20 June 2011 05:06 PM

Knock knock kaput

Don't you just love these engines, at least i do mine.

So as per thread title the dreaded knocking sound has come to visit me yet again.

Usual story 2500 ish revs and it's like the landlord is at the door after his rent :cry:

Seems no matter what i do with this car it's determined to f;uck with me.

Ah well as they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :D

99greenwagon 20 June 2011 05:09 PM

sorry to hear that,i know the feeling well.:(:cry:

djandyg 20 June 2011 05:33 PM

whats the spec/mileage history of the engine out of interest?

ditchmyster 20 June 2011 06:28 PM

It's forged.

Wiseco pistons
Eagle rods
Acl bearings
Up rated oil pump
New valve stem oil seals
Arp head studs
steel gasket
vf 34

Simtec and remap 6 weeks ago with a very conservative map to avoid this happening :brickwall

And the first time i give it some beans fizz pop bang :luxhello:

10k miles since rebuild but it was 4yrs ago not been driven much as i've spent most of that time out of the country, thought i'd bring it over for the summer and enjoy it for a bit, wished id have kept the 2k i spent on it prior and left it at home now :cry:

WildPikey 20 June 2011 10:54 PM

That's harsh mate, so even with ACL bearings etc there's no getting away from it, makes me want to stick mine on the mantel piece as an ornament :( What's the plan now then, more goodies or just replace the crank?

BIG FUD 20 June 2011 11:00 PM

2.5 or 2 litre ?

Mrfastbaz 20 June 2011 11:11 PM

been there done that.........: sympathy:cry::cry:

ditchmyster 21 June 2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by BIG FUD (Post 10099840)
2.5 or 2 litre ?

My mate went 2.5 and i don't think i'm that wild about it, just like the urgency of the 2 litre so i think ill stick with that, but at this moment in time i think 2 litres of petrol and a match is more cost effective.

ditchmyster 21 June 2011 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by WildPikey (Post 10099830)
That's harsh mate, so even with ACL bearings etc there's no getting away from it, makes me want to stick mine on the mantel piece as an ornament :( What's the plan now then, more goodies or just replace the crank?

Not sure mate, really don't need this right now got loads on my plate building apartments out here in croatia on a very tight budget and i'm at the expensive stage so no spare cash.

Think i'm just going to get it back to england and stick it in the garage for a few months and then do it myself with a bit of help from my tuners, who i'm sure will do me lots of favours, if only to keep me out of their hair, i'll threaten them with coming to see them every day, that should do the trick :lol1: they have been really good with me so i'm not worried.

So it looks like a busy winter for me in the garage, the mrs is going to love that, when i grow some and tell her whats happened, not looking forward to that conversation, she already hates the car and the amount of money iv'e spent on it.

Sure she'll be pleased i spent some money on european break down cover though :lol1:

dynamix 21 June 2011 07:01 AM

Did you get any det warnings on the simtek (flashing check engine light) ?

ditchmyster 21 June 2011 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 10099964)
Did you get any det warnings on the simtek (flashing check engine light) ?

No, it's mapped to run on 95 ron and i had 100 ron in it just to make sure, fat lot of good that did me.

To be honest i think it's to do with the fact it's spent most of the last 4yrs sat in my garage only being started once every 2 months or so, and now i drove it over here 1500 miles then iv'e done about 5/6 hundred taking my time and getting used to the car again,and iv'e just been unlucky.

Again.:confused:

Ryan@Indigo-GT 21 June 2011 06:02 PM

That's bad luck man, I hope you get it sorted soon!