ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   diy bonnet wrap :-) (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/892912-diy-bonnet-wrap.html)

initialD 14 June 2011 07:04 PM

diy bonnet wrap :-)

hi there , just wanted to share a pic of my bonnet that i wrapped myself :D i literally had enough vinyl by 1cm in length :eek: its 3m di-noc carbon effect and i was glad to see the results . its amazing to use , proper quality and i can justify the price of it . its also quite forgiving , in that you can peel it back to correct mistakes over an over ! anyway i strongly recommend it to anyone who fancies having a go :thumb:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...1308073736.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...1308073769.jpg

EOEUMC 14 June 2011 07:17 PM

Looks very good from what you have shown, just got the scoop to do now :)

sc00by_d00 14 June 2011 07:17 PM

good job there mate...lookin good :-) Are you going to do the scoop or leave as is? How much was the vinyl?

initialD 14 June 2011 07:24 PM

leaving scoop as it is ! i love the overall look with it left blue , looks different :D
the vinyl was £120 for enough to just cover bonnet and a slither left over . was planning on doing roof and boot lid with the spoiler left in blue like the vent ? not sure yet though :wonder:

wylie1 14 June 2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by initialD (Post 10090345)
leaving scoop as it is ! i love the overall look with it left blue , looks different :D
the vinyl was £120 for enough to just cover bonnet and a slither left over . was planning on doing roof and boot lid with the spoiler left in blue like the vent ? not sure yet though :wonder:

ive been thinking about doing this for a while now i was going to do my bonnet, roof and blade on spoiler

jaygsi 14 June 2011 08:04 PM

Not my cup of tea, but looks good job

chavadurkin 14 June 2011 08:09 PM

What method did you use to do the bonnet? Did you wet the roof, and then squeeze the water out, or did you do it dry?

I am gonna tackle my roof at some point in the next couple of weeks but don't wanna waste such a big piece by doing it wrong. Also waiting for a friend to have some free time son he can remove the front and rear window so I can get a better finish.

And advice much appreciated.

Also - you paid well over the odds for the vinyl. A guy called Samopangy sold me mine, and I got 3 x 1.27 metre for a fair bit less then you paid

Chris.

bluenosewrx 14 June 2011 08:36 PM

I dont like it, however you have made a excellent job of it.

IMO

Mac

dean_gti 14 June 2011 08:45 PM

That's mighty expensive, good job and looks good though :thumb:

wrxsti280 14 June 2011 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by dean_gti (Post 10090524)
That's mighty expensive, good job and looks :thumb:

Not as expensive as a seibon carbon bonnet!! Excellent job, been toying with the idea for a while, but not sure i like the matt finish, do they do the same stuff in a gloss carbon finish??

gordy07 14 June 2011 09:20 PM

Looks tops well done :)

initialD 14 June 2011 10:01 PM

thanks guys :thumb:

initialD 14 June 2011 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by wrxsti280 (Post 10090534)
Not as expensive as a seibon carbon bonnet!! Excellent job, been toying with the idea for a while, but not sure i like the matt finish, do they do the same stuff in a gloss carbon finish??

you can get a vast range of finishes including colours , ive seen white,red,blue i believe they even do a colour shift ??
so i would imagine they do a gloss finish too .

initialD 14 June 2011 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by chavadurkin (Post 10090449)
What method did you use to do the bonnet? Did you wet the roof, and then squeeze the water out, or did you do it dry?

I am gonna tackle my roof at some point in the next couple of weeks but don't wanna waste such a big piece by doing it wrong. Also waiting for a friend to have some free time son he can remove the front and rear window so I can get a better finish.

And advice much appreciated.

Also - you paid well over the odds for the vinyl. A guy called Samopangy sold me mine, and I got 3 x 1.27 metre for a fair bit less then you paid

Chris.

i did it dry . first clean it well and dry .the nerve racking thing is , really you need a helping hand to apply the vinyl ! you cannot do it from corner and peel as you go as it can run out of alignment easily !! peel off all the backing standing either side of the car and hold it quite tight , then tack it to the wings checking it all lines up ? then i used a digital heat gun which i think is essential as i set the temperature to 100 degrees which worked perfectly . then its a case of taking your time with a rubber spatular "not credit card as i think it would scratch ? " the difficult thing with the bonnet is the contours !! but you can pull it back toget rid of a crease or bubble and re-apply . roof should be quite easy as it is quite flat so im sure you will be fine ? good luck with it matey and hope this helps :thumb::thumb:

chavadurkin 15 June 2011 06:31 AM

Thanks bud. I'll post a few pics up on here once done. I have done a few parts of the car already, such as pillars, wing motor and various parts of the interior.

I'm gonna be doing the opposite of you with the bonnet and only do the scoop........

Thanks again.

Chris.

Carlh 15 June 2011 07:22 AM

Looks bang tidy buddy!

StanS 15 June 2011 09:08 AM

What a great job you did !!:notworthy

I admire your guts, not having done it before and just going for it !:thumb:

EOEUMC 15 June 2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by wrxsti280 (Post 10090534)

Check net as I think some of the vinyles you can laqure. This will then give you your gloss finish :thumb:

initialD 15 June 2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by StanS (Post 10091079)
What a great job you did !!:notworthy

I admire your guts, not having done it before and just going for it !:thumb:

cheers fella :thumb: to me doing things like this is what makes ur car special to you :D

The Zohan 15 June 2011 03:58 PM

It looks like a really good job you have done there!:) Like it or not (and i do) the finish is bloody good!

initialD 15 June 2011 04:18 PM

ill own up now , i had a carbon snorkal fitted that was larger than the standard one so you had to push really hard to shut bonnet properly ! which caused very slight dents from the palms of my hands . i only noticed them after i wrapped it as it shows them up :cry: that bit i didnt take a photo of lol :lol1: i would of smoothed them out if i knew ! and i filled where my bonnet pins where so could of easily filled them :razz:

Camoscooby 15 June 2011 05:08 PM

Great job bud, still trying to work up the courage to tackle my roof :D

initialD 15 June 2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Camoscooby (Post 10091726)
Great job bud, still trying to work up the courage to tackle my roof :D

roof should be easy enough really as long as you remove the gutter strips , carfully as i found out they are very delicate :eek: oops !

tubbytommy 15 June 2011 05:33 PM

mods like this make me sad to own a subaru.
although you have done a good job you have made your car look s***
but each to there own i guess.
now you need some lexus lights a dump valve and maybe a massive subaru sticker down the side

initialD 15 June 2011 06:15 PM

:sleep: and fitting hella super tone horns like yourself is a good mod is it ?? :rolleyes:
and cheers for putting a complete downer on an otherwise positive thread ! i know its not to everyones taste , but you could word it a bit better than saying in looks like **** !! the fact you even mention in your spec list " original pink i badge " sums you up mate :lol1:

jaywrxsti 15 June 2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10091763)
mods like this make me sad to own a subaru.
although you have done a good job you have made your car look s***
but each to there own i guess.
now you need some lexus lights a dump valve and maybe a massive subaru sticker down the side

theres always 1 chap, i think it looks good mate
j

initialD 15 June 2011 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaywrxsti (Post 10091847)
theres always 1 chap, i think it looks good mate
j

i cant relate to these scooby purists ? one word .........BORING :D

chocolate_o_brian 15 June 2011 07:10 PM

I don't particularly think the black carbon suits a blue Scoob but in fairness you've done a good DIY job :thumb:

astra_dave 15 June 2011 07:22 PM

i quite like it to be honest mate :-)

chavadurkin 15 June 2011 07:25 PM

Just out of curiosity, how do you remove the gutter strips?

If I can remove them, doing the roof will be so much easier!

Thanks again,

Chris.