ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   first scooby, what mods first (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/89197-first-scooby-what-mods-first.html)

carlpcross 21 April 2002 09:23 AM

just got me a scooby (uk 1999), the car is totally standard at the moment.
i want to get a bit more bhp and gadgets and was wondering what to go for first.
thinking of a dump valve, air filter, boost controller, ect.
can any of you guys give me some ideas of the pros and cons of adding mods to the car and weather it would affect the gauruntee, the car has only done 19,000.
i am also thinking about getting some n/f or millers fuel addative, would i gain an advantage adding this to a standard car currently running on normal unlead.
thanks guys
look forward to your replies.
carl,,

Andy Hobson 21 April 2002 10:04 AM

Hi Carl,

The only official Subaru route is the Prodrive performace pack which buys you a free flowing back box (& mid section) a new ECU map & a few other bits. It's expensive at $1500+ but you keep your warranty intact.

The most popular cheapish third party bits are:

Backbox - About £250
Decat Downpipe - About £350
Decat Mid section - about £100
Induction Kit - £100+
Scoobysport & Power Engineering are popular choices for exhausts.

More recently:
Dawes Manual Boost Controller (+ Air/Fuel Meter) from Jamie @ www.performanceexhausts.net- about £100
or
Tek2 ECU remap from Power Engineering - £500

I have a Scoobysport fully decat exhaust, K&N Induction & a Tek2 ECU map which gives 270bhp + 260lbft = 8)

Check out for http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk/ for some comparisons on all these options.

Hope this helps as a starter....

Andy.

Infinity 21 April 2002 10:08 AM

Welcome onboard Carl. Hope you enjoy your first scoob :)
My first mods were a scoobysport backbox and itg filter. Made the car more responsive and driveable.
Watch what you do as it may effect your insurance. Have a good look around the general technical and drivetrain forums, they will answer all of your questions. As for octance boosters I have no idea.
Hope this helps
Martin

Scotsman 21 April 2002 10:43 AM

Hi Carl,

My scooby is a MY99 as well and I've just had my first mod done (held off until now so my warrenty wasn't affected). Well - I did have a boost gauge fitted last year but that doesn't affect the warrenty.

I've gone for a Dawes - £35 but you need a boost gauge as well (around £100 fitted). The difference is excellent.

The Tek2 is suppost to be very very good and if I didn't already have a boost gauage (which meant the Dawes was a £35 mod) then that's the one I would probably go for (and probably still will in the future).

Next on my list though will be a new down pipe (then a full decat, then tek3 - custom map - then...then....then... :D).

Richard.

[Edited by Scotsman - 4/21/2002 10:44:53 AM]

kevin stanton 21 April 2002 11:54 AM

panel filter, back box and centre pipe.
that should do for starters.

give tsl a ring

kevin
:)

john banks 21 April 2002 12:05 PM

Downpipe, NF and Dawes (you'll need a boost gauge as well) are the most bang for your buck IMHO. Centre/backbox/filter have their place, but add little in comparison. Depends on budget.

Aside from Drivetrain consider good tyres on the 16" wheels, new pads/discs/brake lines/brake fluid, and geometry/bumpsteer. Again all good for little outlay. If higher budget 17/18s, Eibachs seem good from cars I have passengered in but I've not tried them myself.

If you don't do anything with the brakes/geometry at least it makes an unbalanced car IMHO.

Everything on here except NF, geometry and tyres will officially invalidate your warranty and dealers are getting more strict.

Don't forget to tell the insurers and get it in writing.

[Edited by john banks - 4/21/2002 12:07:39 PM]

Jamie Whitfield 21 April 2002 12:49 PM

Hi Carl - welcome to the 'club'!

If I can be of help let me know!

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
www.performanceexhausts.net

carlpcross 21 April 2002 01:41 PM

THANKS GUYS, FOR THE REPLIES SO FAR.
LOOKS LIKE A BOOST GAGE IS THE FIRST JOB, WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET ONE OF THESE DEVILS, WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT TO PAY, AND WHAT DOES IT DO???
ALSO I THINK ONE OF THOSE ITG PANEL FILTERS SOUNDS GOOD, WOULD I GET MUCH GAIN FROM ONE OF THESE??
NONE OF YOU GUYS METION A DUMP VALVE, WHATS THE PROS & CONS OF ONE OF THESE, WOULD PUTTING ONE OF THESE ON AFFECT THE WARRANTY???
THANKS AGAIN
CARL..

Jamie Whitfield 21 April 2002 01:44 PM

YHM!

Jamie