ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   camping (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/891437-camping.html)

scoobykel 04 June 2011 10:18 AM

camping

Was looking to take my kids camping in the summer. Since ive never done it before was wondering if anyone could recommend good sites that the kids wouldnt get bored on

JackClark 04 June 2011 12:31 PM

Butlins.

Jamie 04 June 2011 01:33 PM

Go wild camping plenty of mountains near you

scoobykel 04 June 2011 03:18 PM

Hehe mountains! Im slumming it with the camping already used to foreign hols but ive promised the kids iwill do it so here i go lol. Butlins yeah that could be a plan never actually thought of there. Road trip here we come

Jamie 04 June 2011 03:38 PM

Butlins is not camping ffs you need a tent mountains lakes wildlife lots of sun and rain some snow really strong winds not a Chav park built with crap

ScoobySteve69 04 June 2011 04:41 PM

Butlins :Whatever_:Whatever_ I`d stay at home first!

tony de wonderful 04 June 2011 04:42 PM

Camping or Glamping?

scoobykel 04 June 2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 10073826)
Butlins is not camping ffs you need a tent mountains lakes wildlife lots of sun and rain some snow really strong winds not a Chav park built with crap

maybe got a point on that one! We have the tent and all accessories ie camp stove kettle etc so we are going for the whole camping experience but it cant be somewhere with f all to do cause that wont amuse my 7yr old!

DYK 04 June 2011 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 10073895)
Butlins :Whatever_:Whatever_ I`d stay at home first!

Butlins you got to kidding,i went one time in Skegness can't remember the other holiday park probably haven or something in Brean sands and never again,them type places are full of chavs and moms that scream and shout at the kids,or maybe its just Skeggy but haven't been for years..

scoobykel 04 June 2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10073927)
Butlins you got to kidding,i went one time in Skegness can't remember the other holiday park probably haven or something in Brean sands and never again,them type places are full of chavs and moms that scream and shout at the kids,or maybe its just Skeggy but haven't been for years..

Sack that idea then! I want it to be an experience for the kids and a hol they will never forget! Weve done the whole florida disney thing and want something completely different but at the same time,relaxing and enjoyable thanks for your advice maybe best to go up north with what people is saying on here. Dont want it to be remembered for all the wrong reasons( Disaster)

DYK 04 June 2011 05:35 PM

Have ever looked at family camping and bushcraft something like woodlore.quite a few of these outbound camps about if you look.

http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&ai...w.raymears.com

Jamie 04 June 2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by scoobykel (Post 10073921)
maybe got a point on that one! We have the tent and all accessories ie camp stove kettle etc so we are going for the whole camping experience but it cant be somewhere with f all to do cause that wont amuse my 7yr old!

Take a gun and iPhone :)

Jamie 04 June 2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by scoobykel (Post 10073921)

Camp pack up drive amuse the kids drive. Set up tent again get a canuw take them on lakes

davyboy 04 June 2011 08:51 PM

Get a good tent, and I mean a good one with built in ground sheet.

Camping is easy when it's dry, it's more of a challenge if it's wet.

Try and find a camp site that lets you build fires so you can cook on that. Kids will love that stuff.

Jamie 04 June 2011 09:06 PM

Go wild park up walk 10 miles kids will love it and be very tired not the car type

Ellie* 05 June 2011 10:17 PM

just been this weekend in snowdonia, really nice but a bit far for you

x

Will 05 June 2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ellie* (Post 10076259)
just been this weekend in snowdonia, really nice but a bit far for you

x

Where in Snowdonia did you go?

Jamie 05 June 2011 10:51 PM

Never you mind and shut up :)

fast bloke 05 June 2011 11:07 PM

Pitlochry (sp?) has an excellent civilised campsite. Toilets, showers, cafe, shop and that sort of stuff. The power station tour is better than anything you will ever see on Quest. If you want the true amazing camping experience, get a map of scotland, draw a horizontal line from your house across Scotland, draw a vertical line from the middle of the horizontal line. Pick a spot between halfway up and the North Coast. Go there. There are only amazing places and really amazing places north of Aberdeen.

Bubba po 06 June 2011 12:07 AM

There's a campsite on Flamborough Head in Yorkshire that might fit the bill. They have an indoor swimming pool that's pretty good, an angling lake, football fields and an on-site cabaret bar which we didn't visit (we weren't there long, and we thought it might be a bit pikey, lol ;) ). On top of that, the pitches were great, room for two cars and a big tent, good prices and electrical hook-up if you want it. I realise it's not close to Aberdeen, but part of the attraction of camping is to visit somewhere you wouldn't normally go, I think. The local chalk cliffs and pubs are well worth a visit IMO. :)

ALi-B 06 June 2011 12:35 AM

NOT Kielder water.

Spent a week there, not only did we have gale force winds and rain. But when it was sunny it was a midge fest (Think of that old X-files episode with the green bugs that swarmed at night...it was like that, I think my mate still has scars from the bites :eek: ).

To top it off there was feck all for miles except for a yokels pub.....barring a dead straight 5mile long unmarked road, which ahem, proved too much of a temptation on one occasion. :o

So except for walking or fishing that was about it (canoe+bike hire was closed). I suppose it staved off the hypothermia....that and the showers in the toilet block at the campsite being the only source of heat, as the stove was pathetic because the gas was pure butane (tip...if you use canister gas, make sure its pure propane or at least propane mix).

I'll admit this was 12 years ago. It may have improved a bit since, although I found some dodgy reviews on google: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?...8&spn=0,0&z=11

Ye be warned! :D

RobsyUK 06 June 2011 08:15 AM

The haven in cornwall is fantastic. its on the sea front. fantastic site, clean showers etc and lots to do..