ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Power steering pump problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/891296-power-steering-pump-problem.html)

SetoN 02 June 2011 10:27 PM

Power steering pump problem

My power steering pump is making a really nasty sound when the steering wheel is on full lock (engine cold). Is it time for a new one?

SetoN

bigsinky 02 June 2011 10:34 PM

have you checked the resevoir. it may just need topped up. failing that then yes new power steering pump.

Mr moff 03 June 2011 12:00 AM

Mine's the same,I just top it up every couple of weeks.
I will eventually change it.

Danny.

P1 LTD 03 June 2011 12:11 AM

Mine was making a squealing sound on Full lock! Took to my local scooby garage he said power belt was not tight enough! Tightend it by a couple turns never made any noise since! :thumb:

The Rig 03 June 2011 04:07 PM

Depending on noise,it could be time to replenish the fluid.

just remove one of the pipe unions on the rack to drain most the fluid out and replenish it all, bottle of the stuff costs about £10 for some decent castrol stuff,cant remember if its dextron II or III we use tho

bonesetter 03 June 2011 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by SetoN (Post 10071476)
My power steering pump is making a really nasty sound when the steering wheel is on full lock (engine cold). Is it time for a new one?

SetoN

Is it a whining, almost screaming?

SetoN 06 June 2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by P1 LTD (Post 10071661)
Mine was making a squealing sound on Full lock! Took to my local scooby garage he said power belt was not tight enough! Tightend it by a couple turns never made any noise since! :thumb:

Sorry guys Ive had a hecktic last week. Thanks for the replys.

P1 LTD, This is interesting as when I first turn my engine on it does sound like a belt is slipping on a cold engine. Could be the same problem then, I hope so as it will make things much easier! I will take it down to the garage one night this week and report back.

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 10072455)
Is it a whining, almost screaming?

Yes, it does make a real scream! haha :eek:

Whats your opinion? Could it also be the power belt?

SetoN

Myles 06 June 2011 12:17 PM

It will be the belt mate. I have been down this road with mine, and the belt was just splitting down its length and loosening. New belt = about £7.

bonesetter 06 June 2011 12:18 PM

Mine has no issue when cold. It's when it has been working harder it starts. Worst aggravating factor is carrying passengers :wonder:

SetoN 06 June 2011 01:14 PM

For £7 I will go down the belt option first I think! :thumb:

Cheers guys.

tom991981 06 June 2011 05:31 PM

Thread Hi-jack! ;)

So I have an issue but its a constant whine that changes pitch with revs. When steering it gets louder, some days its louder than others but constant. Belt was changed and tensioners adjusted correctly.

I always keep it topped up, the pump is leaking but I cannot tell if its a seal or the crimped edge yet as have not dismantled it, fluid is gathering ont eh top of the block behind in the usual place.

Is it more likely to be the bearing, the pump itself or is it just the fact its leaking? I have a spare 2nd hand pump, I have replaced the two O-rings on this ones reservoir and was going to try change just this and the bracket and O-rings first but I don't know if this is a waste of time as I cannot see how this causes the whine?

If its the pump itself I intend to replace it as well, but I want to swap the pulleys off the first. Anyone know if the pump has a woodruff key? How do I get the stupid pulley off?! Also anyone know if it is spinning on a normal bearing and if so can it be replaced?

Thanks and sorry for the hi-jack!

The Rig 06 June 2011 07:50 PM

no woodruff key,just put something thru the pulley to stop it moving and undo the nut.

as said, i had the same issue,was the wrong fluid in the car (long story,i changed p/s pump,put new fluid in, had an awful noise, replaced for another pump,using same bottle of new fluid,same damn noise) hence i found out i was using the wrong automatic tranmsision fluid LOL