ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Salary Expectations (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/890891-salary-expectations.html)

Steve vRS 31 May 2011 11:06 AM

Salary Expectations

If, hypothetically speaking, you receive an email from the HR department of a company you have applied to for an advertised position, asking what your salary expectations are, how would you respond?

Steve

The Zohan 31 May 2011 11:09 AM

find out what the going rate is within that sector and the area you live and respond accordingly. Odd question for them to ask, do you know what the position is offering - salary wise?

RobsyUK 31 May 2011 11:10 AM

Google other jobs of similar salary and then add say 5k - dependent on job.....

Example. Miss X worked at a company as a project worker - £26k a year, her boss offered her a job with him at another company and said someone doing this job should get 60k a year minimum and the first company were doing you over. miss X swifty left her job of 9yrs and took the 3times as much salary with a shed load of benifits.

The above is true but I need to hide the identity of those involved. - for now.

Never under sell youself. Always aim higher and let them knock you down ;)

Steve vRS 31 May 2011 11:14 AM

No idea what the position is offering.

I like the aim high approach but don't want to price myself out of the job, hypothetically speaking of course!

Steve

gpssti4 31 May 2011 11:23 AM

I never discuss the salary pre-meeting, or even during the first interview. Let them know that the salary is only part of what will tempt you into the position; job satisfaction is also very important; I even tell them that. If pushed, tell them what you're currently on (ish) and then say you'd expect a bit more.

Leslie 31 May 2011 11:31 AM

I would be tempted to ask them what they were offering.

Les

Coffin Dodger 31 May 2011 01:12 PM

I'd just turn it around to them and say to offer what they think your skills are worth. If the offer is good enough you'll consider the position.

I assume you have applied for the job based on what you do/did already. If so the starting salary has to be based on what you currently get + extra to tempt you away and then some more if taking a more senior role.

Terminator X 31 May 2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by gpssti4 (Post 10066845)
I never discuss the salary pre-meeting, or even during the first interview. Let them know that the salary is only part of what will tempt you into the position; job satisfaction is also very important; I even tell them that. If pushed, tell them what you're currently on (ish) and then say you'd expect a bit more.

Eh?! Never reveal current salary unless that's what you want to be paid again! Add £10k on or something & pretend that's what you're being paid now ... not possible for them to know any different.

IMHO why is current salary any of their business anyway, they should just pay you / anyone what they think you're / they're worth :idea:

TX.

speedking 31 May 2011 01:21 PM

Don't forget to factor in potential loss of benefits such as holidays, pension contributions, etc. which are related to length of service.

Steve vRS 31 May 2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 10067050)
Eh?! Never reveal current salary unless that's what you want to be paid again! Add £10k on or something & pretend that's what you're being paid now ... not possible for them to know any different.

Until you start and they get your P60 from the previous employer!

Steve

Lisawrx 31 May 2011 02:24 PM

If the job is similar to the one you do now, and the responsibilities are the same or greater, then I personally would want at least the same salary. As CD said, a little more to tempt you, but it really depends on the exact job, as to how much more you could ask for in comparison to what you do now.

It might be better just asking (as said) what they are willing to offer, and go from there. It depends on other perks as well as salary imo.

Terminator X 31 May 2011 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Steve vRS (Post 10067092)
Until you start and they get your P60 from the previous employer!

Steve

You think Finance speak to HR & then one of them speak to the person that interviewed you?! More chance of winning the lottery ...

TX.

scud8 31 May 2011 11:55 PM

I suspect they are trying to decide whether it is worth interviewing you. If they only have budget for a salary of £25K and you couldn't switch jobs for less than £30K (for example) then an interview would be a waste of your and their time.

I would try to have a conversation with someone in the HR department to find out what their budget is. If pushed, tell them your minimum number but stress it is a minimum and that you would want to consider any offer in the round when you understand all the terms and conditions and have looked at your other options.

gpssti4 01 June 2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 10067050)

IMHO why is current salary any of their business anyway, they should just pay you / anyone what they think you're / they're worth :idea:

TX.

lol that's why I put the 'ish', perhaps I should have used a ;) too! I'd add a few £k too.

J4CKO 01 June 2011 12:39 PM

Put "£££Competetive" like they do !

New_scooby_04 01 June 2011 03:21 PM

If pushed you say that you expect a salary that is comensurate with the role/repsonsibilities and acknowledges what you're bringing to the table.
Unless, of course you're bringing sweet f**k all to the table in which case it's probably best to keep quiet ;) :D

Steve vRS 02 June 2011 10:34 PM

Turns out the job is offering way below I would expect.

Keep looking!

Steve

mart360 03 June 2011 05:08 PM

Ive allways added 5-8K as a minimum,

the only time i fell foul, was when my old boss called me up and offered me a job, the crafty bugger just matched the salary lol

Mart