ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   M1 Notts Speed Cameras Live? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/890193-m1-notts-speed-cameras-live.html)

killa 26 May 2011 01:19 PM

M1 Notts Speed Cameras Live?

Was on the M1 and noticed that the cameras are up, seemed to see a few flash on cars going the opposite direction.

Looks like it will be a controlled speed area.

what would scooby do 26 May 2011 01:29 PM

Only "live" when variable speed limit is active. They still flash when normal limit is in place but can't issue fines..

room 512 26 May 2011 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 10058857)
Only "live" when variable speed limit is active. They still flash when normal limit is in place but can't issue fines..

Went through yesterday morning southbound, speed limit set to 60 then 40 between junctions 26 and 25, plenty of people going through at warp speed though, can imagine it might be a pretty good moneyspinner in the weeks to come.

Kieran_Burns 26 May 2011 02:33 PM

Yeah - they went live about 2 weeks ago. Local radio warned us of it - but as said: they are meant to be only when the variable speed limit is in force

specialx 26 May 2011 03:27 PM

I drive through these twice a day 6 times a week! :rolleyes:

Another great use of taxpayers monies!

Ant 26 May 2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by specialx (Post 10059008)
I drive through these twice a day 6 times a week! :rolleyes:

Another great use of taxpayers monies!

+1 fcuking hate the things

room 512 26 May 2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 10058946)
Yeah - they went live about 2 weeks ago. Local radio warned us of it - but as said: they are meant to be only when the variable speed limit is in force

Its a nightmare when they say that isn't it? Always that dilemma where you have in the back of your mind whether to let your speed creep much over 70 or not!

bigsinky 26 May 2011 04:03 PM

just set cruise control to 70, problem solved. oh wait, you Subaru drivers don't have cruise control. ;)

what would scooby do 26 May 2011 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 10059053)
just set cruise control to 70, problem solved. oh wait, you Subaru drivers don't have cruise control. ;)

cruise self :D

corradoboy 26 May 2011 06:04 PM

Didn't know they weren't active at 'other' times :mad: Came through there a couple of days back at 10pm and could have been hoofing it :razz:

Hope you're well Ali :thumb:

Leslie 27 May 2011 03:10 PM

Might just as well do the legal speed, the time saved is not worth the cost and the points.

Les

boomer 27 May 2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10060580)
Might just as well do the legal speed, the time saved is not worth the cost and the points.

Les

...and when the "legal speed" becomes 20mph???

mb

Tomwrx 28 May 2011 09:41 AM

will watch out then as its a part of the road i love nothing more than a good blast on when down there working,

v_j_uk 27 June 2011 12:45 PM

hi guys, i went through the cameras i think at over 90 yesterday and have crapping my pants.... the sign was not lit up with anything... but have read that the cameras are still operational at the nation limit of 70... so chances are i have got a ticket?

Leslie 27 June 2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by boomer (Post 10061274)
...and when the "legal speed" becomes 20mph???

mb

Do it or get fined!

Seemples.

Les

Tidgy 27 June 2011 12:53 PM

these ones dont flash at you, will just be a reflection your seeing

tony de wonderful 27 June 2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by room 512 (Post 10058861)
Went through yesterday morning southbound, speed limit set to 60 then 40 between junctions 26 and 25, plenty of people going through at warp speed though, can imagine it might be a pretty good moneyspinner in the weeks to come.

I've noticed too that hardly anyone obeys variable speed limits.

On the M60 yesterday there was one at 40 - said pedestrians on road - and peeps were razzing past me, even undertaking at 70 +. Makes my blood boil!:lol1:

phoenixgold 27 June 2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10109010)
I've noticed too that hardly anyone obeys variable speed limits.

On the M60 yesterday there was one at 40 - said pedestrians on road - and peeps were razzing past me, even undertaking at 70 +. Makes my blood boil!:lol1:

Problem is how many times the operators fail to turn off the signs when the hazard/obstruction is gone. Gone up the motorway on many occasions when the multipurpose boards say a lane is closing, big backlog as everyone moves over, only to find no sign of any works at all.

Hence everyone ignores them until they can see it for themselves.

boomer 27 June 2011 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10108949)
Do it or get fined!

Seemples.

Les

I take it that you have never been forced to drive at 20mph on a motorway then?

It happened to me a couple of years ago on the M42 at 23:30 at night when the mandatory ATM signs were showing 20mph.

Admittedly there were traffic cones dividing off the hard shoulder but there were still at least two running lanes, only around half a dozen other vehicles visible on my side of the carriageway and (as is usually the case) not a single maintenance vehicle or worker to be seen!!!!

No information signs, no obvious reason for the ridiculously low speed limit and absolutely nothing that i could do about it. At those speeds you just feel that you might as well get out and walk :mad:

They will be experimenting with 10mph limits next ;)

mb

r32 28 June 2011 09:37 AM

I find these scameras amazing. We (yes we) spent millions making it a four lane area then they want to slow us all down?

StanS 28 June 2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 10059053)

Some do :lol1::lol:

I'm happy to stick to variable limits when you can see a reason - workforce on road/reduced lanes etc, otherwise I stick to what it says and am not happy.
If I get done for speeding its my fault. (I still wouldn't be happy, but :Whatever_)

Leslie 28 June 2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by boomer (Post 10110156)
I take it that you have never been forced to drive at 20mph on a motorway then?

It happened to me a couple of years ago on the M42 at 23:30 at night when the mandatory ATM signs were showing 20mph.

Admittedly there were traffic cones dividing off the hard shoulder but there were still at least two running lanes, only around half a dozen other vehicles visible on my side of the carriageway and (as is usually the case) not a single maintenance vehicle or worker to be seen!!!!

No information signs, no obvious reason for the ridiculously low speed limit and absolutely nothing that i could do about it. At those speeds you just feel that you might as well get out and walk :mad:

They will be experimenting with 10mph limits next ;)

mb

They have gone well over the top in the villages down here in sunny Devon with 20 mph speed limits in places where is it just not necessary and 40 mph would be a suitable limit anyway. I know how frustrating it is and I take your point about it being on a motorway.

Unreasonably low speed limits are quite wrong and only encourage motorists to break the law anyway.

Still amounts to the fact that if you are caught breaking those limits there is the fine and the points to worry about.

I will accept a 20 limit without complaint if the road conditions truly warrant it, but going over the top, probably instituted by non drivers or car haters anyway is a stupid action to take.

Les :)