ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   The 2011 England v Sri Lanka Test Thread (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/890140-the-2011-england-v-sri-lanka-test-thread.html)

Milamber 26 May 2011 12:19 AM

The 2011 England v Sri Lanka Test Thread

Sorry I've left it a bit late boys but it's been hectic round here :eek:

Anyway the summer has arrived or so my hay fever tells me and we are off to a traditional test venue for the first test..... Or Cardiff.

Just a short one this time Sri Lanka don't deserve a 5 match series and any way without slinga what bowlers have they got?

I predict an easy win for us, Kp to find his form again but Cookie to take the man of the series........ Oh and Bell to get 1 great innings to save his career again :mad:

Funkii Munkii 26 May 2011 12:19 PM

Getting used to your tardyness with these Cricket threads Chris :lol1:

Yeah first Test of the Summer whoo hoo, oh and guess what after 2 months of fine weather it's hammering down. You can tell the Test season has started !

Milamber 27 May 2011 01:39 AM

Looking forward to the India series big time mate, too many pyjamas games following the tests which, as we all know, is where Sri Lanka are strongest.

Tidgy 27 May 2011 11:31 AM

have to say im finding test matces extreamly boring, has to be one of the dullest games known to man in test format, i'd even put it more boring than golf and snooker, and i hate golf and snooker.

I've been watching the IPL 20/20 and its so much better to watch. 180-200 runs, 6 or 10 wickets in 20 overs/2 hours compared to 135 in 53 overs in 2 days :o

Milamber 27 May 2011 12:15 PM

and that's where society is going wrong :D

I want it all and I want it now is the 20/20 mentality, what happened to working hard and grinding out a result against the odds by superior tactics, protecting your wicket and letting the other side make mistakes?

T20 is the worst form of pyjama cricket and this is reflected in the crowds that attend, drunken yobs shouting obscenities at the outfielders and a general lack of respect.

50 Overs is just about acceptable :D

Am I getting old?

Tidgy 27 May 2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Milamber (Post 10060298)
and that's where society is going wrong :D

I want it all and I want it now is the 20/20 mentality, what happened to working hard and grinding out a result against the odds by superior tactics, protecting your wicket and letting the other side make mistakes?

T20 is the worst form of pyjama cricket and this is reflected in the crowds that attend, drunken yobs shouting obscenities at the outfielders and a general lack of respect.

50 Overs is just about acceptable :D

Am I getting old?

yeah your getting old,,, lol

i see more tactics going off in 20/20 than in test match. Maybe thats just because of how slow it is.

one of the big issues with test cricket is you can spend 5 days and still get no result.

Milamber 27 May 2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10060302)

one of the big issues with test cricket is you can spend 5 days and still get no result.

but sometimes no result is a result. Look at Cardiff in the last homes Ashes series, if it wasn't for us scraping a draw we'd have probably lost the series. Think long term fella :thumb:

Tidgy 27 May 2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Milamber (Post 10060349)
but sometimes no result is a result. Look at Cardiff in the last homes Ashes series, if it wasn't for us scraping a draw we'd have probably lost the series. Think long term fella :thumb:

still think its too long and boring.

o and as far as the drunk coment, you ever been to a test match? theres plenty of drunks there lol

Milamber 27 May 2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10060351)
still think its too long and boring.

o and as far as the drunk coment, you ever been to a test match? theres plenty of drunks there lol

Actually my biggest complaint about Lords is that they close the bars every 2 hours to stop people getting completely bladdered :D

With the cans we smuggle in we manage to see those periods through ok.

Test matches are the pinncale, the F1. you fancy an occasional big crash but it's the winning that counts.

50 overs is touring cars. You like the rubbing and nudging but still want Plato to win (by crossing the line on full oppositte lock)

T20 is banger racing. It's all about the crashes.

Funkii Munkii 27 May 2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Milamber (Post 10060298)
Am I getting old?

Not at all

Test Cricket is by far the best, it's for the purest :thumb:

The pitch isn't helping this test at the moment is it......

The IPL will be dead within 3 years imo, attendances way down and money running out, you're not geting the same calibre of players there anymore either, the fact it's now on ITV4 says it all.

Beer and BBQ cricket not to be taken too seriously, other than when we win the World Cup ;)

Tidgy 28 May 2011 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Milamber (Post 10060456)
Actually my biggest complaint about Lords is that they close the bars every 2 hours to stop people getting completely bladdered :D

With the cans we smuggle in we manage to see those periods through ok.

Test matches are the pinncale, the F1. you fancy an occasional big crash but it's the winning that counts.

50 overs is touring cars. You like the rubbing and nudging but still want Plato to win (by crossing the line on full oppositte lock)

T20 is banger racing. It's all about the crashes.

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

more fun to be had in banger racing than any other form :) same with cricket lol

Milamber 30 May 2011 09:01 PM

Yeah, I can see your point. This test match nonsense is so boring :lol1:

Funkii Munkii 31 May 2011 11:54 AM

That was a real tonic after Saturday :thumb:

Funkii Munkii 31 May 2011 11:56 AM

Tidgy, a fine example of test cricket and why we're so good at it :)

Tidgy 31 May 2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 10066897)
Tidgy, a fine example of test cricket and why we're so good at it :)

yes mate i agree cracking ending to what was heading down a most boring result, problem is it isn't like that every game ;)

p.s. we can be just as bad as any of them out there so wouldn't crow too much lol

Funkii Munkii 31 May 2011 08:54 PM

English Cricket fans (proper ones ;) ) have been crowing for a few years now, yesterday was an example of what England have been doing consistently for the past 2 or 3 years, just ask the Aussies :thumb:

India will be the real test of our Test credentials, probably the only side that can compete with England imo and they're an ageing side about to lose some of their better players.

Within a year I expect England to be the No1 test side in the world, maybe by August 22nd 2011 :thumb:

Tidgy 31 May 2011 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 10067767)
English Cricket fans (proper ones ;) ) have been crowing for a few years now, yesterday was an example of what England have been doing consistently for the past 2 or 3 years, just ask the Aussies :thumb:

India will be the real test of our Test credentials, probably the only side that can compete with England imo and they're an ageing side about to lose some of their better players.

Within a year I expect England to be the No1 test side in the world, maybe by August 22nd 2011 :thumb:

crikey thats a bold statement, lol

england are the king of choke artists, no matter the sport. but time will tell.

Funkii Munkii 31 May 2011 11:56 PM

Win the series against Sri Lanka and the series against India, we will be No1

That easy :D

Milamber 03 June 2011 10:02 AM

Well, we're back to a proper test venue today and hopefully we'll wrap up the series within 3 days.

Sunny blue skies over here at the moment with a forecast of mid 20 degrees.

Milamber 03 June 2011 11:45 AM

OMG 3-22!!

We should have bowled.

Funkii Munkii 03 June 2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Milamber (Post 10071926)
Well, we're back to a proper test venue today and hopefully we'll wrap up the series within 3 days.

Sunny blue skies over here at the moment with a forecast of mid 20 degrees.

A nice intro to today's proceedings

Are you after Ben Dirs job ?? :)

Milamber 03 June 2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 10072152)
A nice intro to today's proceedings

Are you after Ben Dirs job ?? :)

I love Ben Dirs :lol1:

Funkii Munkii 03 June 2011 03:19 PM

I've heard ;)

Funkii Munkii 24 August 2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 10067767)

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10068045)
crikey thats a bold statement, lol

england are the king of choke artists, no matter the sport. but time will tell.

How spot on did you want it :smug:

Milamber 24 August 2011 05:45 PM

:lol1:

Show off