ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Lost cities of Egypt (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/890074-lost-cities-of-egypt.html)

Funkii Munkii 25 May 2011 04:02 PM

Lost cities of Egypt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13522957

Wow, isn't modern technology amazing, an entire city with pyramids waiting to be unearthed, looking forward to the program as well.

Will 25 May 2011 04:17 PM

I seen this a few hours ago. Going to be a cracking program :thumb:

Simon C 25 May 2011 04:18 PM

I'm really looking forward to this. I love Egyptology from that time, would love to see it for real, sadly I don't get on well with heat.

Theres plenty tehy haven't fouind already, valley of kings and queens is only about 1/2 - 2/3's explored. There are plenty of tombs to be found yet all over the country.

I'm amazed that they had this tech and skill, we could only match them in the 12 cent. onwards!

JTaylor 25 May 2011 04:52 PM

I was going to post this - good stuff! One of the most numinous experiences of my life was approaching the southern side of The Great Pyramid, on a camel, as the sun was setting on a crystal clear October afternoon. The path from the south (after your guide has paid-off the dodgy looking, and acting, culture police) is significantly lower than the base of Khufu and the structure is obscured by dunes. The sight revealed is absolutely staggering! Extraordinary culture, the ancient Egyptians - shaped the world. :cool:

mart360 25 May 2011 06:17 PM

Did a Nile cruise with the extras back in 2000,

absolutely stunning / amazing / mind blowing

Would love to go back again and see it all again

Imagine what they could have achieved if they had today's technology back then???

Going inside one of the pyramids, & Tutankhamen's tomb were amazing..

Lake Nasser at 6AM pitch dark with a small sun poking over the lake, turning round to see the suns first rays hitting the temple at Abu Simbel, ..awe inspiring moments

Mart

Mart

FlightMan 25 May 2011 06:32 PM

Looks like a great programme. Tks for the heads up.

RuskyV 25 May 2011 06:46 PM

Read about this on the BBC site also, looks to be a good program :)

JTaylor 25 May 2011 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 10057522)
I'm really looking forward to this. I love Egyptology from that time, would love to see it for real, sadly I don't get on well with heat.

Theres plenty tehy haven't fouind already, valley of kings and queens is only about 1/2 - 2/3's explored. There are plenty of tombs to be found yet all over the country.

I'm amazed that they had this tech and skill, we could only match them in the 12 cent. onwards!

Go in the winter, then. :)

chris180883 25 May 2011 07:55 PM

dammit im gonna miss it :( i'll be in egypt instead :hjtwofing:hjtwofing

SirFozzalot 25 May 2011 08:06 PM

Looking forward to this programme.

Was lucky enough to spend around 20 weeks over a two year period living in Cairo, fascinating place.

oldsplice 25 May 2011 08:41 PM

Oooh, wanna see this! :thumb:

JTaylor 30 May 2011 10:24 PM

Anyone see it? Exciting, I thought. :)

Dan Gleebits 30 May 2011 11:13 PM

Fascinating programme

rossyboy 31 May 2011 12:59 PM

Amazing stuff, but hasn't she created a giant treasure map for looters? There's no way the authorities will be able to watch over the whole country.

CREWJ 31 May 2011 01:00 PM

Bugger! I missed it :(

Simon C 31 May 2011 02:24 PM

Was pretty good I thought. Loved the presenters reaction when first shown the results from Tanis! :D Certainly eye opening on the more solid structures, but like all things new, will take some time to work out how to interpret the pictures.

Certainly impressed Dr Wahass, he was quick on opening the new site at Saqqara. By all accounts, not an easy man to impress.

Frosticles 31 May 2011 02:28 PM

Awesome program. Great technology and could be used for so many things.

dpb 31 May 2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by rossyboy (Post 10066998)
Amazing stuff, but hasn't she created a giant treasure map for looters? There's no way the authorities will be able to watch over the whole country.

Can this be why we havnt heard of this technology before , surely it must have bee possible for donkeys years ?!

dpn 31 May 2011 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 10057522)

I went to Egypt in December 2009. Heat is not an issue, it was no hotter than it is on a summer day in England. I went with my Mrs and we were meant to be taking her Grand Parents but her granddad fell ill a couple of days before so we went anyway as couldn't get the money back. We only went as her granddad is interested in all of the history. I couldn't give a 5hit and thought it would be well boring. How wrong I was. I was really into it. IMO you MUST go and see it especially if you are already interested. All the Egyptians are wearing thick jumpers and coats like we would in December in England. Pretty easy to spot the tourists in their T-shirts and shorts! :lol1:

greenonedave 31 May 2011 07:11 PM

Pile of overrated crap. No new stuff just loads of spectulation !

FlightMan 31 May 2011 07:20 PM

Really enjoyed the programme last night. Thanks FM!

specialx 13 June 2013 09:28 AM

They have found some more

http://seriouslyforreal.com/seriousl...ars-under-sea/

LSherratt 13 June 2013 10:39 AM

Awesome pictures

Funkii Munkii 13 June 2013 11:58 AM

Nice find :thumb:

Dingdongler 13 June 2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 10057673)
Did a Nile cruise with the extras back in 2000,

absolutely stunning / amazing / mind blowing

Would love to go back again and see it all again

Imagine what they could have achieved if they had today's technology back then???

Going inside one of the pyramids, & Tutankhamen's tomb were amazing..

Lake Nasser at 6AM pitch dark with a small sun poking over the lake, turning round to see the suns first rays hitting the temple at Abu Simbel, ..awe inspiring moments

Mart

Mart

They had help from aliens

Fat Boy 13 June 2013 05:38 PM

Sheesh, bloody foreign immigrants coming to our planet and doing our work...