ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   best performance and handling mods?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/889665-best-performance-and-handling-mods.html)

mikeywilliams 22 May 2011 06:27 PM

best performance and handling mods??

im on a tight budget but would still like to make my 98 uk turbo 2000 the best i can so wot parts would be recommended please

alcazar 22 May 2011 06:31 PM

Brakes first: those on the 98 cars should never have been fitted to any so-called performance car;)

Then uprated rear arb, solid droplinks all round, maybe anti-lift kit and a decent geometry setup.

Now you will be able to corner faster and stop better!

After this it gets expensive, since the 98 ecu isn't mappable..........:(

carl heath 22 May 2011 06:31 PM

If your on a tight budget then get brakes and suspension improved as going fast is nothing if it dont stop and turn well.

dunx 22 May 2011 06:33 PM

Jeff you should have tried a '97 car....

Whiteline rear ARB is the best value mod on my car, 22mm will transform the handling of your car.

Upgraded brakes are next on the list.

dunx

jaygsi 22 May 2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 10052531)
Jeff you should have tried a '97 car....

Whiteline rear ARB is the best value mod on my car, 22mm will transform the handling of your car.

Upgraded brakes are next on the list.

dunx

I wouldn't bother with handling mines standard and and handles like its on rails, brakes maybe an idea if you drive it hard, i don't drive mine that hard so happy with standard.

I'd just fit nice exhaust system, colour code anything that isn't eg skirts, mirriors, get some nice 2nd rims or get yours refurbed

alcazar 22 May 2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 10052566)
I wouldn't bother with handling mines standard and and handles like its on rails, brakes maybe an idea if you drive it hard, i don't drive mine that hard so happy with standard.

I'd just fit nice exhaust system, colour code anything that isn't eg skirts, mirriors, get some nice 2nd rims or get yours refurbed

Can I RESPECTFULLY suggest you drive either a more modern Scoob or a modded classic, or if you can get a drive in one, an EVO...........THEN come back and tell us how well yours handles:D.

mikeywilliams 22 May 2011 07:46 PM

thanks guys will try and sort out brakes first then, as for the unmappable ecu on the 98 model am i wrong in thinking this relates to early 98 models as mine was registered sept 98 if that makes a difference

alcazar 23 May 2011 10:08 AM

You MIGHT be lucky: mine was registered September 98 and has the early unmappable ecu:(

Remember: registered Sept, probably BUILT May, or even before.

In 1998, dealers could only have ONE CAR per month, that was the quota;)

IJE71 23 May 2011 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 10052566)

A car can't handle like it's on rail's, it can grip like it's on rails. Handling is a place a little bit further on past grip, it's a fun place , you should try to pay a visit sometime. :)

Tredy 23 May 2011 08:52 PM

Which years did classics have mappable ecus??

If it helps, on my 97 wrx ive got subaru 4 pots on the front and 2s on the back, front with drilled and grooved disks, it really does make a hell of a difference.

kj200sx 23 May 2011 09:11 PM

get some brembo brakes worth the extra and can be had for not to much money second hand sell your 4 pots and probably only looking at £200 on top for brembo if your 4 pots are in good working order/condition

Jamo 24 May 2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by kj200sx (Post 10054599)
get some brembo brakes worth the extra and can be had for not to much money second hand sell your 4 pots and probably only looking at £200 on top for brembo if your 4 pots are in good working order/condition

what's the point unless he is going for 400 plus bhp?

mikeywilliams 24 May 2011 08:04 AM

not looking for nowhere near 400bhp especially from this car lol

mikeywilliams 24 May 2011 08:20 AM

so any particular size on new brake discs recommended??

MRSIMPSON 24 May 2011 08:29 AM

I may be wrong but if your coil pack is in the centre of the manifold then your 98 can't have the ECU mapped. Needs a new ECU (like mine) which I've been told is around £800 for a Simtek and map.

If it's to the right then you're ok and you have a later car.

alcazar 24 May 2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by kj200sx (Post 10054599)

They will only fit under STi wheels, although the rears fit under WRX wheels, so further outlay for bigger wheels.

Eprom 24 May 2011 05:04 PM

If you are on a budget, fit a good second had set of 4 pots to the front, with different pads, white line anti lift kit to the front to correct the castor, and a decent 4 wheel geometry, run about -1 deg camber on the front, this should dial out all that under steer going into bends, then look at getting the rear arb, when you have more funds, you can go further and lock everything down tight with uprated bushes, but these will introduce noise into the cabin, but will give you very predictable handling.
Too many people go the performance upgrade route first, but it is no good if you can't use it or even stop the car, the Subaru has good grip but handling can be improved by simple modifications.

alcazar 24 May 2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10052522)
Brakes first: those on the 98 cars should never have been fitted to any so-called performance car;)

Then uprated rear arb, solid droplinks all round, maybe anti-lift kit and a decent geometry setup.

Now you will be able to corner faster and stop better!

After this it gets expensive, since the 98 ecu isn't mappable..........:(

Post number two mate. ;)

Eprom 24 May 2011 06:37 PM

Hi Alcazar
I saw your post in number 2 slot, i was just trying to fill in with more info, like 4 pots and pads for the brakes, and explaing what the antilift kit provides on the classic, goemetry setup is dependent on how you want the car to behave and under what conditions, you mention solid drop links to contol the ARB, but further to that I added uprated bushes all round, but these come with a down side, if used as a daily commute car.

alcazar 24 May 2011 08:34 PM

No probs. Thought you were trying to steal my glory;)

:D :D